Running a large group with an unfamilar system (Castles and Crusades)

Whisper72

Explorer
I would definately NOT split the group. The buddy idea is a good one, but managing two seperate groups on top of coaching the newbs will IMHO not be a good idea.

FATDRAGONGAMES

First Post
Mitchbones said:
In about three weeks I will be running the largest game I have ever ran of 8 players, 4 of which are completely new to gaming. I don't even have the required C&C books yet!

I was wondering if you guys had any advice about teaching this many new people how to play a game you are unfamilar with.

Send me an e-mail with this in the subject via the Fat Dragon Games website. I have a character creation cheat sheet and a general C&C overview sheet that covers the combat mechanics that I can e-mail to you. Anybody can jump right into the game after taking a couple minutes to read these.

Imaro

Legend
Here's a quick suggestion inspired by the Final Fantasy videogames.

Start your players in an "adventurer's guild" type organization/training hall. Here they can try out their abilties (mock combats/thief and assasin skills against fake locks/tracking on the grounds/magical puzzles/etc.) in relative safety (make any damage non-lethal). Give them a mentor or two that supervises them in the training hall (and can be trainers for when they go up a level), perhaps setting certain tasks for them to complete inside the training hall or in the immediate area (once they get some familiarity with the system).

This not only gives them some room to breathe before it gets dangerous and helps ease new players into the game...but, if you give the guild a cool name and make the trainers viable for the PC's, the organization beccomes an immediate and reoccuring connection and investment in your campaign world for the players to be a part of.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Mitchbones said:
I feel lame asking this (again thanks for the help!) but I run a weekly D&D game on top of this one and I am really thinking that I should run a C&C module. Are there any you guys have tried and liked?

Haunted Highlands is the only one that I thought was really well done, though it's more a mini-setting than an adventure module. Otherwise, I'd go mine your classic D&D adventures like Isle of Dread and/or Keep on the Borderlands.

Mitchbones

First Post
Well the game went fairily great. I doubt the one of the players will stay as she let her boyfriend do everything and was just texting the entire game despite my efforts to get her into it. Is making a "No Cellphone use unless emergency" too outlandish of a rule? It just ruins the mood.

Treebore

First Post
Hopefully she will either be a no show or actually get into things. Your rule idea will just help her decide faster which one she is going to be.

S'mon

Legend
Mitchbones said:
Well the game went fairily great. I doubt the one of the players will stay as she let her boyfriend do everything and was just texting the entire game despite my efforts to get her into it. Is making a "No Cellphone use unless emergency" too outlandish of a rule? It just ruins the mood.

That is a fine rule. :)

S'mon

Legend
jdrakeh said:
Haunted Highlands is the only one that I thought was really well done, though it's more a mini-setting than an adventure module. Otherwise, I'd go mine your classic D&D adventures like Isle of Dread and/or Keep on the Borderlands.

I agree - I haven't been much impressed with the TLG-published C&C modules. The Goodman Games 3e-conversion The Mysterious Tower looks pretty good, but needs at least 3rd level PCS. Otherwise get an old Basic or 1e module off Ebay, flip the ACs and assign Mental or Physical primes, and run as-is. B2 would be good. :)

BTW as a player I'd be very bored with a safe, training environment as my intro to the game. A fight with a few poorly armed & armoured goblin brigands (say 1d6 hp, AC 12, dam 1d4 with small club or dagger) caught menacing innocent NPC travellers would be ideal. Give the PCs max hp and let them have fun beating up the gobboes. :)

Greylock

First Post
A good, basic starting module, which can be run in one session and is very noob friendly is The Beacon At Enon Tor. You can find it as a free download at Dragonsfoot, I think.

Remove ads