S@squ@tch's Against the Giants - Team Gold OOC - Recruiting

s@squ@tch

First Post
Nac Mac Feegle: Could you put in Lo-Kag's character sheet a small section that basically lists what his stats are when raging? (ability stats, hp, ac, etc,etc) That would be very helpful. Thanks!

Shayuri

First Post
Hey hey

I question the ruling that only light piercing or slashing weapons are effective when swallowed.

The SRD is clear that only attacks of that kind can actually slash open the guts, allowing escape...but it doesn't say that only those attacks cause damage. I'll reprint the section on Swallowing from the closest approximate to this beastie I can find at the moment; the Tendriculos.

A swallowed creature that avoids paralysis can climb out of the mass with a successful grapple check. This returns it to the plant’s maw, where another successful grapple check is needed to get free. A swallowed creature can also cut its way out by using a light slashing or piercing weapon to deal 25 points of damage to the tendriculos’s interior (AC 14). Once the creature exits, the plant’s regenerative capacity closes the hole; another swallowed opponent must cut its own way out.

Bold is added by me. It doesn't say MUST. If someone were to be swallowed by a creature, it seems likely they could choose NOT to cut its way out, and do damage of whatever sort they pleased. Technically, I suppose I could even argue that he could use his greatsword, since he's no longer grappled, and a light weapons is only mandated for cutting one's way out...not simply doing damage from inside. Granted, it seems a reasonable ruling, for not-being-silly's sake, to say only light weapons can be used when swallowed at all.

I didn't see any other entries on the condition of being swallowed, but if I missed something that invalidates all this (or if Rule 0 is invoked), then I'll cheerfully withdraw. Still, it doesn't seem unreasonable to say that an attack that can be used in a grapple (natural weapon in this case) could also be used while swallowed. *shrug*

s@squ@tch

First Post
From the SRD:

Swallow Whole
If a creature with this special attack begins its turn with an opponent held in its mouth (see Improved Grab), it can attempt a new grapple check (as though attempting to pin the opponent). If it succeeds, it swallows its prey, and the opponent takes bite damage. Unless otherwise noted, the opponent can be up to one size category smaller than the swallowing creature. Being swallowed has various consequences, depending on the creature doing the swallowing. A swallowed creature is considered to be grappled, while the creature that did the swallowing is not. A swallowed creature can try to cut its way free with any light slashing or piercing weapon (the amount of cutting damage required to get free is noted in the creature description), or it can just try to escape the grapple. The Armor Class of the interior of a creature that swallows whole is normally 10 + ½ its natural armor bonus, with no modifiers for size or Dexterity. If the swallowed creature escapes the grapple, success puts it back in the attacker’s mouth, where it may be bitten or swallowed again.

The way I see it, is that when swallowed, you are not just dropped into a large stomach or holding area where you have space to move around, I envision that you are completely engulfed on all sides by the digestive tract -- like stuck in an esophagus of some sort, so you don't have any room to wind up a blow with a bludgeoning weapon, hence the utility of a small, pointy thing (like a dagger or knife).

Imagine you are stuck in a sleeping bag with your hands at your sides -- you really don't have much space to wind up a punch...

That is my $0.02.

s@squ@tch

First Post
I interpret being swallowed whole as being a bit more intense than someone having you in a bear hug, so I can't justify the use of a bludgeoning weapon, albeit a natural attack, to supercede the light piercing or slashing weapon portion of the description.

Sorry.

Zurai

First Post
Not to be belligerent or anything, but the rules for being grappled do allow attacks with natural weapons, and the rules for being swallowed do say you're considered grappled. Now, if the rules said the swallowee was pinned, then they would be unable to do anything but escape the pin.

That said, I have no intention of getting Asenfel swallowed, so I'll continue raining eldritch blasts from above and hope it doesn't know how to climb :p

Shayuri

First Post
s@squ@tch said:
I interpret being swallowed whole as being a bit more intense than someone having you in a bear hug, so I can't justify the use of a bludgeoning weapon, albeit a natural attack, to supercede the light piercing or slashing weapon portion of the description.

Sorry.

Well, it's not supported in the RAW, but this is your game and you can Rule 1 it as you see fit.

It feels kind of punitive/arbitrary, admittedly.

I just felt the need to bring up the actual rules, in case it had just been an oversight.

*shrug*

Nothing to see here. Move along.

EvolutionKB

First Post
I don't know what a 16 is, but it doesn't sound pleasant. Good luck.

I work shift work, 12 hour shifts normally. But for the time being, with new people needing to be trained, we are short one person and that time had got to be made up. Thus, probably for a while, I will be working at least two 16 hour shifts for the next few weeks. This shouldn't impact my time here much, just letting you know.

And on the issue above, I agree with the others, but as they say, you are DM...and I am a warforged with polymorph who can swallow whole as well! ;)

s@squ@tch

First Post
Wait a sec -- maybe I am misunderstanding the question -- are you trying to use your bludgeoning attack to cut your way out of the creature or to just damage it?

I am thinking that you wanted to punch your way out, which is against the monster description, which states that a slashing or piercing weapon must be used.

If you want to purely damage it from within, then that is allowable as written.

@Evo -- isn't a 16 hr shift in violation of labor laws???

Remove ads