Sarah Silverman leads class-action lawsuit against ChatGPT creator

Reynard

Legend
I can't remember if I've seen this mentioned anywhere, but Windows 11 23H2 update, which I think is slated for October this year, is going to be adding an AI assistant called Copilot.
Good. That is what AI is (or should be) for: enabling and enhancing human capability. It is the purpose of all technology. The definition, even.

Reynard

Legend
On the subject of AI in writing: I did a deep dive into "AI Assisted" fiction writing on YouTube and elsewhere and hoo-boy is it depressing. The tools are getting pretty sophisticated and there are A LOT of "authors" out there using AI to crap out full novels on a weekly basis. You thought it was hard to get noticed in the sea of dross on Kindle Unlimited before? Buckle up.

I'm honestly not sure whether to blame these "authors" or the people that are happy to lap this derivative trash up.

On the subject of AI in writing: I did a deep dive into "AI Assisted" fiction writing on YouTube and elsewhere and hoo-boy is it depressing. The tools are getting pretty sophisticated and there are A LOT of "authors" out there using AI to crap out full novels on a weekly basis. You thought it was hard to get noticed in the sea of dross on Kindle Unlimited before? Buckle up.

I'm honestly not sure whether to blame these "authors" or the people that are happy to lap this derivative trash up.
this is from a post in one of the writer subs i'm on:

Reynard

Legend
this is from a post in one of the writer subs i'm on:

AI as an assistant tool is using the technology as intended. 85K in 6 weeks is not necessarily an outsized amount of writing (it is only 2000 words a day, which for serious writers is nothing). I'm glad this person has found a helpful tool and hopefully they are producing quality work that is rewarded commensurate with its quality.

But that is far from what is happening broadly. People are using Sudowrite, NovelAI, ChatGPT and others to shovel out full novels in days. Then they generate an AI art cover and post it to Amazon, who does not seem to care about the provenance of its products. Because the algorithm rewards authors with more books, these "authors" bury others who craft their stories, which takes time.

I am all for AI as a tool. Hopefully one day everyone has a personal AI to help them be the most creative, productive, skilled, awesome person they can be. But right now it looks like an apocalyptic tsunami of dross coming our way.

Scribe

Legend
Good. That is what AI is (or should be) for: enabling and enhancing human capability. It is the purpose of all technology. The definition, even.

You know it will likely just be harvesting data like every other 'assist' out there. I'll be avoiding the install/update or turning it off ASAP while waiting for the leaked news that "Yes, the bot was actually harvesting your data all along."

Scribe

Legend
You should probably log off now. Everything is harvesting your data.
Yes, and we agree to it directly or not.

I dont have any of those 'Hey Siri' things either, because as you note, its bad enough already.

Once I can cancel my cell phone, I'll be doing so, and once I can retire, I'm unplugging. :D

Remove ads