Sarah Silverman leads class-action lawsuit against ChatGPT creator

Reynard

Legend
I'm in Canada, you dont have to go too far to be outside of civilization. Plenty of empty land here.
Listen, if you say you plan to go off grid, I believe you and wish you luck. That said, I think that is an EXTREMELY difficult jump, especially for anyone who already embraces all the modern conveniences, up to and including hanging out on D&D message boards.

Scribe

Legend
Listen, if you say you plan to go off grid, I believe you and wish you luck. That said, I think that is an EXTREMELY difficult jump, especially for anyone who already embraces all the modern conveniences, up to and including hanging out on D&D message boards.

Totally fair. I dont 'embrace them' though. I have a cell, and work on computers, as its how I get paid. Without a mandate from my boss that I needed to have a cell, I used a land line. Once I dont need it, its gone. Once I can retire, I can get rid of my computers, and I can just...live. :D

this is from a post in one of the writer subs i'm on:

I use it in much the same way that the author is (as a writing companion), although it hasn't been quite as life-changing for me.

I have a bookshelf full of reference works, things like "The Body Thesaurus" and "The Master List for Writers" and "The Fantasy Reference" and many others, as well as countless PDFs. I find that ChatGPT replaces most of those works and is FAR quicker to use. I know the accuracy is not great sometimes, but it doesn't matter for the stuff I'm writing (Fantasy RPG material). Being able to say "What sort of material would a wheat merchants clothes be made of?" and get an answer in seconds rather than minutes is so helpful. Really keeps you in the flow.

I also bounce ideas off Chat all the time. "Here's a scenario outline - suggest five variants." It rarely gives me exactly what I'm after, but it usually bounces me along to the answer I need.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
I'm sick of these [string of obscenities redacted] artists and their attacks on fair use. They're only salty because they had all drank the "creativity is a special woo-woo human special trait that takes a soul and feelings and all that other woo-woo nonsense" kool-aid and it hurts their ego that they were proven wrong.

That and the fact that they're completly ignorant of how AI works, are applying a double standard (how come Warhol can steal entire product designs, duchamp can present a mass-manufactured toilet as an original piece, and William S Burroughs can write all his pieces by literally cutting up preexisting articles and rearranging the words, but if a computer borrows a handful of pixels or half a dozen letters suddenly the world is ending)

Plus, I think some of them are misrepresenting things things deliberately to save their sorry-[expletive deleted] jobs just like the original Luddites and every bit as contemptably! Many have even admityed as much! Can you imagine if the people before us had listened to that kind of argument? Forget the fact that you wouldn't be able to hire an uber to protect the old-timey cabbies, neither you nor they would have a car because those put all the coachmen and stablehands and other people out of business (with the exception of a handful of extremely niche uses) ALSO You wouldn't have a refridgerator! You wouldn't even have a refridgerator because they put the ice deliveryman put of a job. And everything would be very dark and badly lit because the lamplighters and the candlemakers need to have something to do. And you know what the worst part is? I'm underexaggerating things! Every important new innovation puts someone out of a job! The invention of bronze put someone out of a job! Domesticated animals put someone out of a job! When I hear somebody say that they don't like a new innovation because it will put people out of a job what I hear is that they want us all to survive by hunting wild animals with [expletive deleted] stone spears!

And more importantly the only thing that's gonna happen if they succeed is that it's gonna take that power out of the hands of the common man, and out of the artists' hands as well, and put it more firmly than ever in the hands of the big corporations that already own all the art anyway
Like everything else in the wider world, the answer always lies in looking at things from the $$$$ perspective.

Applies to both sides.

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
Well, at least now we can get AI chatbots in celebrity skins, including Snoop Dog as "Dungeon Master."

Other luminary visages available include Kendall Jenner, Tom Brady, and Paris Hilton.

The technology was revealed by marginally human pseudo-AI and Meta CEO, Mark Zuckerberg. (eta) Sadly, you can't get the Snoop Dog avatar to actually DM a game for you, so it's not clear what exactly the point of any of this is.

Last edited:

Remove ads