SciFi Channel: Season 10 is SG-1's last, Atlantis renewed

Darthjaye

First Post
Ranger REG said:
All I'm saying is if you can do better than the folks already in Hollywood, then what's holding you back? Just go there and do it.

What's holding me back is mainly the restraining order's. :D

Honestly though, sometimes you got to admit, they might be smoking some really bad stuff with the ideas we see coming out of that network. I mean really, now does putting a soap, wrestling, or a drama that has no sci-fi or fantasy whatsoever qualify for this network? Given, that's an executive decision but these same execs also control a lot of the writing talent they acquire for said "B" movie projects and it shows. Now I'm a pretty tolerant viewer, but sometimes bad is just bad.

All that being said, I will interject that intelligence does not necessarily equal or promote entertainment creativity. I'm not convinced that most of us gamers here could cobble together a entertaining script for the above average viewer, let alone the average joe.

BrooklynKnight

First Post
A friend of mine who interned with a production company that worked with Sci-fi told me that some of the writers literally locked themselves in a room for days at a time with a certain flammable plant to write episodes.

(am I joking or serious? You'll never know!)

Brown Jenkin

First Post
Darthjaye said:
Rumor has it there's a third series idea floating around that they hinted in the past would not see the light of day until SG-1 finished it's run. It will be interesting to see if and what they do indeed do from hre on out with the franchise.

I thought the whole Ori storyline was the third series idea. It was just that when cast turnovers happened and the series was in a creative lull and the network wanted another season that it was decided to can the third series and incorporate it into SG-1. That at any rate was the rumor I heard.

Harmon

First Post
Ranger REG said:
All I'm saying is if you can do better than the folks already in Hollywood, then what's holding you back? Just go there and do it.

Presently-
- I lack contacts, and to get a script to the proper people you need contacts. I suppose I could go through my Dad whom knows Michael Hoffmen, but I doubt that he has any contacts with SG. Hoffmen's work is no where near what i want to write and no where near this forum (last time I checked).

- My daughter. 31 weeks old this Sunday, I am the primary care provider so kinda busy with that right now.

- School. Taking a Phlebotomy class that is just stomping the hell out of me. Eight hours of sleep in the past three days- I am fairly tired.

- Flying- I refuse to fly under the present laws. Further explination of that would violate the politics policies of EN World.

- Confidence. I have none. Failure is the only thing I am positive I will ever do, but I can't seem to stop trying when it comes to my wife and daughter.

I am not a very intelligent person, but when it comes to some shows and some out comes it just seems that writers are lacking in original ideas, course of action, and that is why I think eight year olds could write better SG episodes then the present cast of writers.

DJ- I agree that RDA was the heart of the show, BB and CB ante it, but I think they were the best choice for characters that needed to be placed (CB) or replaced (BB).

Have fun all, sounds like feeding time again :)

Ranger REG

Explorer
Harmon said:
I am not a very intelligent person, but when it comes to some shows and some out comes it just seems that writers are lacking in original ideas, course of action, and that is why I think eight year olds could write better SG episodes then the present cast of writers.
Oh, I know that. But I would stop short of boasting that I could write better than them. Sure, I could criticize that a 7-year-old could write better than them, but never would I put myself in a position to be challenged.

:p

Harmon

First Post
Ranger REG said:
Oh, I know that. But I would stop short of boasting that I could write better than them. Sure, I could criticize that a 7-year-old could write better than them, but never would I put myself in a position to be challenged.

:p

My apologizes, Ranger. :eek:

You are quite right, I placed a challange that I could write a better show then the present writers at SG and I should drop my life to do so. I apologize, I should go out right now and do so just to prove to the likes of you that I can indeed write.

While you may feel that I write this in malice or some other heighened emotion- I am not, you do not understand my point and no amount of explaining will get it across. I am sorry that you took my statement as a challange and I apologize to the staff at SG- under the present conditions I can not out write them.

What ever has happened to you to place you at this level of anger, to place you in such a challange all statements, etc. I hope that you can find some understanding that I am not attacking, or being cruel to you as you seem to have become in the past few months.

My best hopes and wish to you and yours. :)

Ranger REG

Explorer
Harmon said:
What ever has happened to you to place you at this level of anger, to place you in such a challange all statements, etc.
I'm inching closer to 40 and I think I'm going through a male-pause phase. :]

Anyhoo, let's face it. SCI-FI is not what it once was when it first started. Sadly, it's going the way of MTV (also a shadow of its former self). FWIW, the cable network did gave SG-1 five more years on top of its already five-year run on Showtime. For now, because SCI-FI is not a premium network, it has to do whatever it takes to attract more viewers (they already got the genre fans and even that is not enough) to stay on.

Last edited:

Darthjaye

First Post
Ranger REG said:
I'm inching closer to 40 and I think I'm going through a male-pause phase. :]

Anyhoo, let's face it. SCI-FI is not what it once was when it first started. Sadly, it's going the way of MTV (also a shadow of its former self). FWIW, the cable network did gave SG-1 five more years on top of its already five-year run on Showtime. For now, because SCI-FI is not a premium network, it has to do whatever it takes to attract more viewers (they already got the genre fans and even that is not enough) to stay on.

And quite honestly here, it's the crowd it has to cater to in order to garner ratings that is the problem. Bad writing is not what killed shows like Firefly and such. To blame the writers entirely for what is obviously just a bad turn of luck or lack of a audience is misleading and errant in numerous ways. Remember, no matter what is initially written, it's up to producers and directors as to what hits the screen. For all we know, most of the scripts for this year may have been great, but were changed by producers, actors, and directors for their own reasons and came off on the screen as less than whatever was written initially. To say that you can write something better than they have is erroneous at best. It's easy for most of us to monday-morning quarteback their work without knowing what has gone into the process or led to what is the final result we see. Put to the task, most of us could not do that for 200+ episodes over 10 years and 2 networks with that many difficult actors, directors, and such involved.

Ranger REG

Explorer
Darthjaye said:
And quite honestly here, it's the crowd it has to cater to in order to garner ratings that is the problem. Bad writing is not what killed shows like Firefly and such. To blame the writers entirely for what is obviously just a bad turn of luck or lack of a audience is misleading and errant in numerous ways. Remember, no matter what is initially written, it's up to producers and directors as to what hits the screen. For all we know, most of the scripts for this year may have been great, but were changed by producers, actors, and directors for their own reasons and came off on the screen as less than whatever was written initially. To say that you can write something better than they have is erroneous at best. It's easy for most of us to monday-morning quarteback their work without knowing what has gone into the process or led to what is the final result we see. Put to the task, most of us could not do that for 200+ episodes over 10 years and 2 networks with that many difficult actors, directors, and such involved.
But rewrites can't be an across-the-board bad thing. If the writer wanted it his way, he should also be a producer and director.

And that can also be a bad thing: case in point, Courtney Solomon. :]

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Ranger REG said:
Wait. WB is releasing another version of the Batman film? How many alt.Batman are we going to have?

Me confuzzled. :confused:

As many as it takes to sell tickets and keep WB in business. :p :)

Remove ads