[September] What are you reading?

delericho

Legend
'fraid not.

I finished up "Heart of Darkness and Other Stories" by Joseph Conrad on the first, and am now reading "Catching Fire", the second volume in the "Hunger Games" trilogy - hoping to finish that today.

Next up will be "The Worldwound Incursion" for Pathfinder, and then probably Iain Banks' "The Wasp Factory".

Richards

Legend
Is anyone here familiar with the old Flashing Swords volumes of short stories?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flashing_Swords!
I am indeed! There were some pretty good stories in that series, as I recall - although it's probably been about 25 years since I first read them.

I'm about to start a new (for me) Richard Laymon horror novel, Beware. I couldn't even tell you what it's about; I just saw it in a used bookstore and bought it on the strength of the author's other works that I've read.

Johnathan

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
I am indeed! There were some pretty good stories in that series, as I recall - although it's probably been about 25 years since I first read them.

Me, too, for the ones I read and I am thinking of re-reading them (since I acquired the rest of the series over the years but haven't taken them off the shelf for awhile). :)

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Just finished re-reading Glen Cook's "Dread Empire" series. I think the set of prequels is the best. Not sure what to start next... might order the second collected volume of Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser stories.

delericho

Legend
might order the second collected volume of Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser stories.

I would have a really hard time recommending that one. IIRC, there's one really good story in there ("The Swords of Lankhmar"), but the rest range from meh to actively embarrassing. It's really not the ending that those two heroes deserved.

But YMMV, obviously.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
I would have a really hard time recommending that one. IIRC, there's one really good story in there ("The Swords of Lankhmar"), but the rest range from meh to actively embarrassing. It's really not the ending that those two heroes deserved.

I'd seen similar comments but was hoping otherwise. I picked up the first collected volume as part of reading through Appendix N in the 1e DMG. I've read all of Lovecraft, Conan, Middle Earth, and the Dying Earth books. Any recommendations on which ones to do next?

delericho

Legend
I'd seen similar comments but was hoping otherwise. I picked up the first collected volume as part of reading through Appendix N in the 1e DMG. I've read all of Lovecraft, Conan, Middle Earth, and the Dying Earth books. Any recommendations on which ones to do next?

I rather enjoyed the Elric stories I read (which were the two volumes listed in Appendix N - as I understand it, the prequels weren't so good). Beyond that, I'm afraid I've got nothing - you've exhausted my own reading of that list.

Remove ads