[September] What are you reading?

Wild Gazebo

Explorer
The Lemonade War
Framed
Al Capone Does My Shirts
and just started My Side of the Mountain

I'm helping out with some grade school literature circles...really fun so far! I've loved the books...hope this last one is just as good.

delericho

Legend
After "The Wasp Factory", I read "Liar's Blade" by Tim Pratt. It's one of the "Pathfinder Tales", and one of the ones I've enjoyed most in that series - indeed, I'd be inclined to recommend it to fans of Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser.

And then I read "The Thirteen-Gun Salute" by Patrick O'Brian - yet another installment in his Aubrey/Maturin series. Good book, though I strongly recommend reading the series in order. (And, yes, I can recommend the series.)

I'm now reading "Only You Can Save Mankind", by Terry Pratchett, after which I'll read the other two parts of his Johnny Maxwell trilogy.

Zombie_Babies

First Post
After "The Wasp Factory", I read "Liar's Blade" by Tim Pratt. It's one of the "Pathfinder Tales", and one of the ones I've enjoyed most in that series - indeed, I'd be inclined to recommend it to fans of Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser.

And then I read "The Thirteen-Gun Salute" by Patrick O'Brian - yet another installment in his Aubrey/Maturin series. Good book, though I strongly recommend reading the series in order. (And, yes, I can recommend the series.)

I'm now reading "Only You Can Save Mankind", by Terry Pratchett, after which I'll read the other two parts of his Johnny Maxwell trilogy.

No way ... I just finished The Wasp Factory, too. I thought it was great. I, however, went with Bukowski's factotum next.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
Hehehe, ZB is the second person I convinced to read Factotum. So how is the Dirty Old Man, ZB?

Right now I'm finish Burning Chrome, by William Gibson. Some short stories are better than others, Johnny Mnemonic was so much better than the film.

I'm not sure what should be next. Map and Territory by Michel Houellebecq, Ender's Game to know if it is that bad or Makers by Cory Doctorow.

Zombie_Babies

First Post
It was good. Sadly, I got the end spoiled for me. Oh well.

Yes, I have to agree the end was sort of lame. I was really happy, though, that he didn't go with what he seemed to be hinting at - that Frank and Eric were the same person. Still, he put the clues in a li'l heavy what with all the woman hate Frank had. Overall, though, I loved it for its tone. Oddball, insane and terribly violent compulsions discussed as though they were typical activities is always fun. I mean, I love American Psycho. ;)

Hehehe, ZB is the second person I convinced to read Factotum. So how is the Dirty Old Man, ZB?

I must say I'm very glad you pointed me in that direction. dood could write. Short and kind of quick reads but it's all depression, alcoholism, violence and sex. Like, perfection, yanno? Yeah, you know. I enjoy books like that. Works that paint a world we've seen from a very different angle than most people will ever bother to see. Good stuff.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
I must say I'm very glad you pointed me in that direction. dood could write. Short and kind of quick reads but it's all depression, alcoholism, violence and sex. Like, perfection, yanno? Yeah, you know. I enjoy books like that. Works that paint a world we've seen from a very different angle than most people will ever bother to see. Good stuff.
Yup, yup and yup. Post Office still is my favorite, cause he does all of what you mentioned while working for the guberment. Somehow it touched a cord.

Richards

Legend
I finished up The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson. I read all ~650 pages of it in two days; the first 50 on day one and the other 600 on day two. Of course, on day two I spent 9 hours either in an airplane or at an airport waiting for my next plane, so that helped.

Anyway, good book. I'll be looking for the two sequels.

Johnathan

Robin Hoodlum

Banned
Banned
I usually read exclusively History/ Military History, but my step-mom recently got me into detective books.
Right now I am reading The Drop by Michael Connelly.

I need to make a trip to the discount bookstore and get a few military history books.

Remove ads