• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Seriously. Why *do* Clerics get to wear armour?

Brennin Magalus

First Post
Tuzenbach said:
I mean, is it time to break the stereotypical Cleric that was developed in the 70's? Discuss........or not!

I think that the standard cleric should only get light armor proficiency. To compensate for the loss in armor proficiencies, he should get a couple of bonus feats, which could be used to purchase the other armor proficiencies if he so chooses.

Trainz

Explorer
Tuzenbach said:
I mean, is it time to break the stereotypical Cleric that was developed in the 70's? Discuss........or not!
The cleric is based on the hospitalers, templars, and knightly priests of medieval europe. It's the perfect archetype of the priest who takes up fighting to pursue his god's dogma. I like it just like it is.

templar.gif

greenknight.gif

hong

WotC's bitch
Tuzenbach said:
There are a squillion alt.priests around. Have a look on the House Rules forum. I think Crothian made one, and I made another.

Brennin Magalus

First Post
Trainz said:
The cleric is based on the hospitalers, templars, and knightly priests of medieval europe. It's the perfect archetype of the priest who takes up fighting to pursue his god's dogma. I like it just like it is.

The Hospitalers and Templars were not priests; they were laymen who took monastic vows. Moreover, paladins already fill the role you describe. The idea that all clerics should be militant is nonsensical to me.

Trainz

Explorer
Brennin Magalus said:
The Hospitalers and Templars were not priests; they were laymen who took monastic vows. Moreover, paladins already fill the role you describe.
Still, these are the kind of archetypes the class is based upon.

The idea that all clerics should be militant is nonsensical to me.
To you maybe, but for 30 years the companies that created and improved D&D seem to agree with me. So maybe not THAT nonsensical.

If you want a non-militant priest, there's one in Unearthed Arcana.

Everybody's happy.

Xeriar

First Post
Trainz said:
Still, these are the kind of archetypes the class is based upon.

To you maybe, but for 30 years the companies that created and improved D&D seem to agree with me. So maybe not THAT nonsensical.

If you want a non-militant priest, there's one in Unearthed Arcana.

Everybody's happy.

The 'balance' reason is that 'people don't want to play the healer role'.

Which I think is a hogwash way to balance it myself.

But that's just me.

Trainz

Explorer
Xeriar said:
The 'balance' reason is that 'people don't want to play the healer role'. Which I think is a hogwash way to balance it myself.
Here's another 'one': "The cleric is the most powerful class". Which is true, but it actually doesn't get a chance to be proven. Clerics who don't cure comrades in fights soon find players of dead comrades staring at them with hatred. So, clerics HAVE to be the healers. And they don't get to use their 'kewl skillz'.

Well, at least IMC. My players rarely want to play clerics anymore because of just that.

But that's just me.
[Hong] Indeed. [/Hong]

Last edited:

Remove ads