Settings where humans not dominant

jdrakeh covered the ones that sprang to mind immediately for me. I'm a big fan of Palladium Fantasy as well as Talislanta.

Blue Planet I think would qualify. Humans seem to be at about the same numbers as the uplifted cetaceans, as well as the natives of the planet. On the other hand, there _is_ Earth in the background so depending on the type of game that's run, it could tip the balance. It's a solid sci-fi setting and the system seems pretty workable, though guns can be deadly. Red Brick has secured the rights to the game and is planning on reprinting books as well as publishing new ones.

The overall feel I get from the game is somewhat like Firefly/Serenity. It's just folks on the frontier of a planet instead of space, trying to make it through another day. Plays well for Frontier style games, although something like the movie Outland or a number of other premises are certainly possible.

Justifiers RPG is another one. It can be a bit tricky to find info on it, so here's a quick overview: http://index.rpg.net/display-entry.phtml?mainid=1621

Basically you're an indentured servant working to pay off the cost of uplifting you. Even though it's not like you had any choice.

The system definately shows its age, but the premise itself is solid enough.

Terra Primate from Eden Studios. It uses the Unisystem rules, Classic version (All flesh must be eaten) as opposed to the Cinematice version (Buffy/Angel). Seen Planet of the Apes? Well, that's the game. Comes with several different "worlds" or possible premises. You can find a review of it here: http://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/9/9460.phtml

There's the Mouse Guard rpg which is supposed to be released at GenCon. It's using a simplified version of the Burning Wheel/Burning Empire rules. It's kinda like "Redwall, the rpg". If you haven't read the Mouse Guard book by the way, it's very nice.

One could argue that Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles/After the Bomb would also qualify. Sure, humans are around but it really depends on the focus of the particular GM as to whether they're a "dominant" feature. In TMNT, yeah humans would still dominate. After the Bomb though, that's not the case. ATB was put out after Palladium lost the TMNT license. Basically things go wrong (the bomb) and now everyone's got to deal with life.

They don't include the platypus by the by, although you can still get stats for it from the old TMNT book.

Remove ads