• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Shattered Sea Chronicles, Book I: Festival of the Dead(closed)

pathfinderq1

First Post
I think an additional CLW wand is a worthwhile investment. Since Johanna's expenses are pretty light, I would be willing to pay the shares for the new PCs so they aren't saddled with a "Welcome, now pay up" scenario.

As far as purchases go, Johanna would like to pick up a MW greatsword and another potion of Bulls Strength (CL 3), with a total cost of 650 gp. Is that okay?

Bloodweaver1 said:
I accept your decision as is.
I am just comparing armors.

Code:
              Mitheral Full Plate  Psychoactive Armor   Full Plate    +2 Chain Shirt
Armor Bonus:         +8                  +8                +8              +6
Dex Bonus:           +3                  +2                +1              +4
Max AC Bonus:       +11                 +10                +9             +10
Wieght:             25lbs               None              50lbs           25lbs
Max Speed:         20 Feet             30 Feet           20 Feet         30 Feet
Arcane Failure:     25%                  25%               35%            20%
Armor Check:        -3                   -6                -6              -2
Requirements:    Medium Armor        Light Armor       Heavy Armor     Light Armor
Enchantable:        Yes                  No                Yes            Yes
Slot:		    Body                None               Body           Body   
Cost:              10,500              6,000              1,500           4,250
Everything seems to be on the level, however the big thing that stands out to me is that the 'skin' cannot be enchanted. That is an investment that will see very little return. If a psion is not worried about wieght restrictions it would appear that the +2 Chain Shirt offers a better return on your investment due to it being cheaper and it can be enhanced. Although, the 'Skin' does not take up a body slot. So a robe wearing character would still get the boons from their robe plus their 'skin' armor. Interesting.

-Blood

That's an interesting comparison, but I'd point out again that the skin already starts out with an armor class equivalent to a +4 chain shirt, not a +2 version. I hadn't seen the fact of the skins -6 ACP before, though the fact that it doesn't take up an affinity slot also hadn't yet been mentioned, and the two don't seem to make sense on the same item.

/rant on

To me, it still sounds like the skin falls under one of the largest failings of DnD 3.5, the perception that each new product, to be interesting or saleable, must contain items/feats/spells/classes/races, or what have you, that are more efficient/better then what has been published before. Admittedly, that's easier then coming up with more compelling story/fluff/idea content for each new published product, but it does lead to a fairly disturbing "Keeping up with the Joneses" situation. A sort of pinball game effect.

/end rant

All the purchases I've seen mentioned so far, with the exception of the skin, seem fine. Pay standard book prices except that EKB, your war-trained pooch will cost +25gp over a normal dog.

EvolutionKB

First Post
So how many people are going to pitch in on the wand? So far we have: myself, Huroq, Fenris, and pathfinderq1(who offered to pay for the new PCs shares).

On another note BD, it never says it anywhere that I can see but are wartrained mounts proficient in any kind of armor?

What I think I'll do is replace the standard light and heavy war horses with light and heavy horses using the warbeast template from MMII.

So:

Heavy Warhorse
Size/Type: Large Animal
Hit Dice: 4d8+16 (34 hp)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 60 ft. (12 squares)
Armor Class: 13 (-1 size, +1 Dex, +3 natural), touch 10, flat-footed 12
Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+11
Attack: Hoof +7 melee (1d6+4)
Full Attack: 2 hooves +7 melee (1d6+4)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: —
Special Qualities: Low-light vision, scent, combative mount
Saves: Fort +8, Ref +5, Will +3
Abilities: Str 19, Dex 13, Con 18, Int 2, Wis 14, Cha 6
Skills: Listen +7*, Spot +6*
Feats: Endurance, Run, Light Armor Proficiency*, Medium Armor Proficiency*,Heavy Armor Proficiency*
Environment: Temperate plains
Organization: Domesticated
Challenge Rating: 2
Advancement: —
Level Adjustment: —
Cost: 400gp

Light Warhorse:
Size/Type: Large Animal
Hit Dice: 4d8+16 (34 hp)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 70 ft. (14 squares)
Armor Class: 13 (-1 size, +1 Dex, +3 natural), touch 10, flat-footed 12
Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+10
Attack: Hoof +6 melee (1d4+3)
Full Attack: 2 hooves +6 melee (1d4+3)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: —
Special Qualities: Low-light vision, scent, combative mount
Saves: Fort +8, Ref +5, Will +3
Abilities: Str 17, Dex 13, Con 18, Int 2, Wis 14, Cha 6
Skills: Listen +7*, Spot +6*
Feats: Endurance, Run, Light Armor Proficiency*, Medium Armor Proficiency*,Heavy Armor Proficiency*
Environment: Temperate plains
Organization: Domesticated
Challenge Rating: 2
Advancement: —
Level Adjustment: —
Cost: 400 gp

*+1 to Listen and Spot, Armor Proficiencies, and Combative Mount, all come from Warbeast template. Combative Mount gives rider +2 to Ride checks

Last edited:

Bloodweaver1

First Post
Pauli will chip in for a CLW, however just note that he will not be able to use it. His Use/psionic/magical device is not high enough yet.

-Blood

EvolutionKB

First Post
Okay that is 6 on the wand, any other takers?

BD, did you want me to apply the abilities of the warbeast template to my dog then, or was that for any horses that people wanted to purchase?

Remove ads