Shattered Sea Chronicles, Book I: Festival of the Dead(closed)

Fenris

Adventurer
OK BD, take a gander,

Broderick Bvarizak

Background
[sblock]
Broderick was a blacksmith’s son. Rogun raised his son in the tradition of the great dwarven blacksmiths. The problem was however that Rogun Bvarizak had moved to the city of Stonegate many years ago when Broderick was just a lad with a few hairs on his chin. Rogun was a skilled craftsman and a canny merchant and did very well in the city. Broderick went back to the Dwarven holds every week to spend time with his maternal grandfather, Dunrick Thurnsgard, and pay homage to his ancestors in the Great Hall. Broderick was learning the family trade and was serving his apprenticeship as a blacksmith. Years passed and though Broderick was becoming a skilled craftsman, his progress was not what Rogun expected from his son. One day he discovered why. During his visits with his grandfather Dunrick, Broderick had been learning to fight. Dunrick was a dwarven warrior, and while smithing is a noble profession, and well respected among dwarves, Dunrick saw within Broderick the spark of a warrior, not a craftsman. Dunrick has been secretly training the lad and Broderick had also been sparing with local mercenaries, learning what he could from them in exchange for repairing their weapons and armor.

Broderick was ashamed by his actions and awaited his father’s judgement. Instead of anger though Broderick was met with kindness. “This is not your fault my son, I took you from the Holds before you were of age to have your talents tried by the Elders. Seeing you now I know that within you beats not the heart of a blacksmith, but a warrior. You have your grandfather’s heart and your hands were meant for an axe, not a hammer. It is time that you moved on, your apprenticeship as a blacksmith is over.”

Appearance:
Broderick is a relatively young dwarf. His black hair is braided into a single braid in the back and his beard forms two braids as the warriors back home keep theirs. His youth and eagerness lead him to some early trouble that his father wasn’t pleased about, but years of hammering in the forge have given him strong arms which should serve him well.
[/sblock]

Character
[sblock]
Code:
Male Dwarf
Fighter 1
XP: 0

Str 16 (+3) 
Dex 12 (+1)
Con 16 (+3)
Int 12 (+1) 
Wis 10 (+0)
Cha 8 (-1) 

Size: Medium
HP:  13
BAB: +1
Init: +1
Move: 20’

AC: 17 (+4 armor, +2 shield, +1 Dex)
Saves:
Fortitude: +5 (+7 vs poison)
Reflex: +1
Will: +0

Attacks:
Dwarven Waraxe +4, 1d10+3/20x3
Warhammer +4, 1d8+3/20x3
Throwing axe +2, 1d6+3/19-20x2 range inc 10

Feats: 
Power Attack
Cleave

Skills (bonus/ranks):
Appraise (+2/1 cc, +4 stone or metal)
Climb (+5/2)  
Craft Armor (+2/1, +4 stone or metal)
Craft Weapons (+2/1, +4 stone or metal)
Intimidate (+2/3)
Kn: Dwarven History (+2/1 cc)
Swim (+4/1)

Languages Known:
Common
Dwarven
Giant

Class Features:
Simple Weapon Proficiency
Martial Weapon Proficiency
Light Armor Proficiency
Medium Armor Proficiency
Heavy Armor Proficiency
Shield Proficiency

Racial Features:
• +2 Constitution, –2 Charisma.
• Medium: As Medium creatures, dwarves have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
• Dwarf base land speed is 20 feet. However, dwarves can move at this speed even when wearing medium or heavy armor or when carrying a medium or heavy load (unlike other creatures, whose speed is reduced in such situations).
• Darkvision: Dwarves can see in the dark up to 60 feet. Darkvision is black and white only, but it is otherwise like normal sight, and dwarves can function just fine with no light at all.
• Stonecunning: This ability grants a dwarf a +2 racial bonus on Search checks to notice unusual stonework, such as sliding walls, stonework traps, new construction (even when built to match the old), unsafe stone surfaces, shaky stone ceilings, and the like. Something that isn’t stone but that is disguised as stone also counts as unusual stonework. A dwarf who merely comes within 10 feet of unusual stonework can make a Search check as if he were actively searching, and a dwarf can use the Search skill to find stonework traps as a rogue can. A dwarf can also intuit depth, sensing his approximate depth underground as naturally as a human can sense which way is up. 
• Weapon Familiarity: Dwarves may treat dwarven waraxes and dwarven urgroshes as martial weapons, rather than exotic weapons.
• Stability: A dwarf gains a +4 bonus on ability checks made to resist being bull rushed or tripped when standing on the ground (but not when climbing, flying, riding, or otherwise not standing firmly on the ground).
• +2 racial bonus on saving throws against poison.
• +2 racial bonus on saving throws against spells and spell-like effects.
• +1 racial bonus on attack rolls against orcs and goblinoids.
• +4 dodge bonus to Armor Class against monsters of the giant type. Any time a creature loses its Dexterity bonus (if any) to Armor Class, such as when it’s caught flat-footed, it loses its dodge bonus, too. 
• +2 racial bonus on Appraise checks that are related to stone or metal items.
• +2 racial bonus on Craft checks that are related to stone or metal.
• Automatic Languages: Common and Dwarven. Bonus Languages: Giant, Gnome, Goblin, Orc, Terran, and Undercommon.
• Favored Class: Fighter. A multiclass dwarf ’s fighter class does not count when determining whether he takes an experience point penalty for multiclassing

Equipment: 150 gp
Scale Armor 50 gp
Large Steel Shield 20 gp
Dwarven Waraxe 30 gp
Throwing axe 8 gp
Warhammer 12 gp
Backpack 2 gp
Crowbar 2 gp
Flint and steel 1 gp
Winter Blanket 5 sp
Water flask 1 gp
1 week trail rations 35 sp
Belt pouch 1 gp
2 torches
50 feet hemp rope 1 gp
Whetstone 2 cp
Artisans tools (blacksmithing/ weapons/armor) 5 gp
Explorers outfit.
3 gp
[/sblock]

pathfinderq1

First Post
I am interested in getting in on this as well, if there is still space available. While I'm relatively new to the EN world community, I've got a pretty decent base of gaming experience, and I actually like the SRD only restriction, since that is about all I have access to for D&D-type purposes (my game interests are rather broad, and I can't keep up with all the material for all of the systems I play with).

If you've still got space, I'm thinking of helping out party balance a bit with a rogue (or other skill/sneak type character), possibly with some psionic or spellcasting multiclassing somewhere in the future. The most likely character background would be the (now just grow-up) child of Helmanoran refugees.

Let me know how any of this sounds...

pathfinderq1 said:
I am interested in getting in on this as well, if there is still space available. While I'm relatively new to the EN world community, I've got a pretty decent base of gaming experience, and I actually like the SRD only restriction, since that is about all I have access to for D&D-type purposes (my game interests are rather broad, and I can't keep up with all the material for all of the systems I play with).

If you've still got space, I'm thinking of helping out party balance a bit with a rogue (or other skill/sneak type character), possibly with some psionic or spellcasting multiclassing somewhere in the future. The most likely character background would be the (now just grow-up) child of Helmanoran refugees.

Let me know how any of this sounds...

If I count right, you'd be the sixth, which would close things out. This assumes that everyone who has shown interest actually does play. The idea for the character sounds excellent, go ahead and put it together.

EvolutionKB said:
I like the sounds of the Oaken Circle. Can you give me some more detail to work with?

Generally speaking, the Oaken Circle is truly neutral in character. They focus on the traditional values of druidic faith, and the Principle of Balance, concerning themselves largely with the world of nature.

Most members of the Circle are human, though elves are close behind in numbers. A variety of other races are also represented. The main center of training and administration for the Oaken Circle is a long week's travel to the south of Stonegate, at Tor Kael.

The nearest druid circle to Stonegate though, is centered in the Tremblewood, and new druids are often trained there, especially those from the northern reaches of Avonleigh the kingdom. The Tremblewood druids tend to lean more towards good then true neutrality, because of their long and dismal experience dealing with the Darkrune drow, and other nastiness from the deepnesses beneath the Graystones. They sometimes have some controversy within the larger context of the Oaken Circle, because their more southerly Oakbrothers feel they are less focussed on the Balance then they should be.

Last edited:

Remove ads