She-Hulk: Attorney at Law trailer

Ryujin

Legend
With the possible exception of Loki, pretty much all of the D+ shows have been character origin stories. Even WandaVision was the "origin story" for her (brief) iteration as the Scarlet Witch. The Falcon and the Winter Soldier was the origin story for both the new Captain America and John Walker / US Agent. Hawkeye was both an origin story for Kate Bishop and a passing-of-the-torch story, as well as a sort of intro for Echo. And so on.

I agree that Phase 4 has felt messy. Let's hope that Phase 5 starts to tighten things up. One of the first things we're getting is Ant-Man 3, which will introduce Kang ... whom we've all been waiting for since Loki.
"WandaVision" also gave us the origin for Monica Rambeau as Spectrum, though clearly not the origin from the comics. Darcy Lewis gave a link to Thor.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Finally got to see the last two episodes... I think our household verdict was 1-8 were mostly enjoyable, and 9 was wtf (and not in a good way).

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I don't know... The earlier MCU stuff wasn't connected, until it was. We've got a huge number of new chaarcters, with old ones cycling out, so they need to be introduced before they're put into major use.

The phase one movies were connected by the set-up of the Avengers Initiative which was played out through the Post-Credit scenes which linked Hulk, Iron Man and SHIELD (Fury/Coulson/Hawkeye/Black Widow)-which then linked in Cap and Thor.

Phase four has been tying up loose ends from Endgame, handing over to the new generation and ‘experimenting‘ to broaden the MCU out. Yeah its been messy but it does seem that on top of the new Avengers, there is also a Cosmic stream and a Magic/Horror stream developing -Which is kinda neat, not to mention the arrival of Mutants and Fantastic 4.

I can see why people are impatient, but until the big movies come on next year and we get some proper canon confirmations I dont think that messiness is going to resolve.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Not everything has to be a trilogy of novels.

There was a time when the short story was the monarch of the sci-fi/fantasy genre. The shift away from that has more to do with marketing and the economics of publishing than whether novels or short stories are "better". If Marvel wants to give us a bunch of short stories, I'm good with that. It fits the comics genre pretty well.

Not everything does.

But some things are better in certain forms than other. There is, in fact, a real difference between (1) a movie; (2) a single-season miniseries, and (3) a multi-season series.

And the problem is not that the miniseries, completed story is a necessarily bad format- in fact, it can be quite excellent! Station Eleven doesn't need another season. Or ... Chernobyl.* Or Alias Grace. Or Sharp Objects. Etc.

Same here- Hawkeye told its story. I don't need a season 2. Same with WandaVision. Ditto for TFATWS. Loki probably could have been one season- I'm not really keen on S2.

But other shows really could use ... more. Because the things about multi-season series is that they are great when you have amazing supporting characters. When it's not about the action, but more about the world. When I watched Ms. Marvel, the person I was watching with (not into superhero stuff) turned to me at the the end and said, "When is season 2?" Or She-Hulk. I want more of that low-stakes and FUN MCU. Those are shows that would work really well as extended series, and it's sad that they aren't. Because they aren't making "shows."

Not everything has to be a TV series. But ... some things should be.

*It REALLY doesn't need a sequel.

I don't mind the 4th wall break at the end, but it wasn't handled the best it could. Which applies to a lot of things. What an uneven season...

My main objection is that our main character was so often made to feel weak and somehow lame. And not all of it came in the patriarchal ways that they meant to put in, but in them inherently writing stuff in a fashion that you wouldn't do to a male character. And it's weird for a comedy show to be such a downer, and then not resolve that in a solid fashion - I didn't want a fight with losers at a lodge, but the whole ending is just in a rush to get things over with oh and here is obligatory movie tie-in bye now

Stalker0

Legend
It's almost ... almost ... like there's a difference in how male and female anger are viewed as appropriate and/or forgivable.
I agree there is a big difference. Lets take a look and compare how the anger of our male hulk and female hulk have been treated in the MCU.

Male Hulk
Was hunted by the US government, using lethal force.
Was forced into exile for years living outside the bounds of society.
Was used as an example for the Sokovia Accords (even though that incident was actually 100% not his fault).

Female Hulk
Got minor jail time and lost her job
Immediately got back her reputation and job back by the end of the episode.

Also how much personal responsibility did our various Hulk's feel for their actions?

Male Hulk
  • Felt like such a monster and threat to society that he tried to kill himself.
  • After Sokovia, felt like such a monster and threat to society again (even though it wasn't his fault) that he exiled himself into space (which depending on how well he could have navigated that ship, could be construed as another suicide attempt).
  • Commonly thought of himself as a monster until finally merging with the Hulk.
  • Tried to instill that responsibility and importance of control into Jen.
Female Hulk
  • Felt no remorse for the property damage she caused.
  • Blamed all of her problems on Intelligencia.

Now you could argue that the Hulk did a lot more damage in his time (which is fair). You could also argue that the Hulk should have been in prison...though maybe he got special release for helping to save New York (or maybe was placed in "special custody" by SHIELD), but its fair to say none of that was explained. But at the end of the day, our Male Hulk got plenty of punishment for his "anger", society ripped into him plenty. Whereas our Female Hulk got a slap on the wrist. If the goal was to show that women get punished by society for showing their anger by comparing her treatment to her male counterpart....well then they failed miserably.

The better approach would have been to not have Jen do property damage, not burst through a brick wall. Have the gala occur, have the video air. Jen "loses it" and just roars and screams. People get scared, suddenly there are guns in her face, she gets put in jail, loses her job because of the publicity. NOW you have a case, this poor woman who just got a bit overwhelmed and screamed in public....no crimes committed, yet everyone freaks out. NOW you are pushing the message in a reasonable way, that this woman is being unfairly treated for "showing a little anger". Instead of what we got, which was a person committing a crime in public...getting arrested.

Hex08

Hero
The better approach would have been to not have Jen do property damage, not burst through a brick wall. Have the gala occur, have the video air. Jen "loses it" and just roars and screams. People get scared, suddenly there are guns in her face, she gets put in jail, loses her job because of the publicity.
Even though it was a comedy it was still a superhero show and that sounds like a pretty dull superhero show.

pukunui

Legend
They do acknowledge the whole property damage thing in the second-to-last episode when Daredevil calls her out and she says she’ll go leave a note.

Also, the reason that Jen gets away with it all and gets her reputation/job back is because she gets to write her own ending. If she hadn’t, things probably would’ve gone worse for her.

Remove ads