Shows that I go back and rewatch, shows that I should

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Anybody else have a list?

So I'm going to expand on what I wrote previously. I have previously written a few threads on the greatest TV shows of all time if you're just looking for shows to watch-

When it comes to re-watching shows, however .... I almost never do that. The shows I have deliberately chosen to re-watch are few and far between. And not always the ones that I think were the most rewarding when I watched them the first time. Some because it would be a commitment (watching the Shield again), some because I got everything I needed to the first time (The Leftovers).

As I wrote, I've re-watched Buffy several times.
I watched The Magicians when it first came out, read the books recently, and started re-watching again.
I've watched ST:TOS a few times and TNG twice.
I've watched the Prisoner through three times.
I've watched Blake's 7 twice.
I watched the original Life on Mars / Ashes to Ashes twice.

Generally, thought, I never watch a show again. There is just too much new content, and I'd rather try something new.

After all, movies and TV are coming at you pretty fast. If you don't stop and look at the new stuff, you could miss it.

firehose-fire.gif

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
TV shows I've watched multiple times and probably will again:
Star Trek: TOS
Firefly
Longmire
Stranger Things
The Muppet Show
Teen Titans

Stuff I want to find more time to do that to:
Star Trek: Strange New Worlds (I know, it's new, I'll give it time)
Star Trek: Lower Decks
The Man from U.N.C.L.E. (I do have the DVDs)

I adore Miami Vice. It's got such charm and style. It has a bad habit of going on and off streaming, migrating services. So I keep having to track down where I left off when it comes back.

Stuff I have that I've watched a few times:

Miami Vice

These days it feels like I barely have time to watch all the shows coming out now, let alone re-watch old ones! But when I can...

X-Files
Game of Thrones (started a rewatch after it ended and it really recontextualizes earlier episodes.

Mercurius

Legend
Game of Thrones is the only series that I've watched all the way through twice. There are plenty of other shows that I have "spot-watched" episodes two or more times, including Star Trek TOS and TNG.

I've watched every Seinfeld and Curb Your Enthusiasm episode at least twice (except for the last seasons of both, I believe), some three or four times.

Ryujin

Legend
Shows that I go back and watch over and over:
1. Star Trek OTS
2. Batman the animated series
3. Firefly
4. Have Gun will Travel
5. Gunsmoke (the 30 minute episodes)
6. Star Trek TNG

Shows that I should go back and watch but haven't yet
1. The Xfiles
2. Justice League animated series
3. Combat (I've only seen a couple)
4. Breaking Bad
5. Deadwood

Anybody else have a list?
If you have "Combat" on your list then you might also want to add "The Rat Patrol." It's of pretty much the same vintage and is set during WWII in North Africa. I think that you can even find the whole thing on Youtube. At least you could a couple of years back, when I rewatched it.

Richards

Legend
Much of my rewatching is introducing shows I've enjoyed to my now-15-year-old nephew. He enjoys Sunday afternoons being a "pizza and DVD" ritual, so along with him (watching these for the first time), my youngest son and I have (re)watched the following:
  • Batman: The Animated Series
  • The Tick - three seasons of the cartoon series
  • The Tick - the short-lived original live-action series
  • The Middleman - just the one season, alas
  • Ultraman - first season only, I have season two but he tired of it
  • Firefly - followed by Serenity, naturally
  • The Prisoner - all 17 episodes
  • Crossbow - all three seasons, although I'd only ever seen the first two before and boy, did season 3 ever suck!
  • Kung Fu - all three seasons (my oldest son also watched these with us and he loved them)
  • Monty Python's Flying Circus - all of the TV show episodes, then all of the movies
  • Fawlty Towers - all 12 episodes
  • Doctor Who - all of Doctors 9 through 12, plus the two or three decent episodes from 13's first season
  • Dark Angel - our current project; we're almost done with season one (of only two, and season two ends in a cliffhanger)
Sitting on the sidelines, patiently awaiting their turn:
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer - 7 seasons
  • Angel - 5 seasons
  • Breaking Bad - he wants to see it out of interest from several memes he's seen
And sitting on the sidelines for when my oldest son visits over the winter:
  • Sons of Anarchy - seven seasons, if I recall correctly
  • The Bastard Executioner - just the one, sadly (it was nice rooting for a good guy for a change)
  • Spartacus - four seasons
And finally, there are a few other series I've watched through several times:
  • The Avengers - the seasons with John Steed and Emma Peel
  • Absolutely Fabulous
  • Millennium
  • The Lone Gunmen
Johnathan

Styracosaurus

Explorer
I have to add Stranger Things to my list. I have rewatched that one.

I haven't thought about Rat Patrol in forever. That was an awesome intro.

Buffy needs to be on my list.
Sopranos is something that I see in youtube clips rather than a complete rewatching.
If Deadwood had one more season then it would be on the list.

fba827

Adventurer
Probably will forget something, but off the top of my head …..

Cartoons from 90s-ish ( a couple 80s a couple early 00s)
Gargoyles
Pirates of dark water
Conan the adventurer
Ducktales ( the original, though the remake was enjoyable too)
Batman the animated series
Justice league
Thundercats ( the original)
Voltron ( the original)
Young justice ( 2010 or something like that, and bumped around networks so large gaps between season releases)
X,men animated series

Scifi-ish live action
Star Trek next gen
Star Trek ds9
Firefly
Dresden files
Fringe

- in review of that list, the unofficial criteria here being nostalgia, world building, character growth, plot/story/setting advancement, escapism ….. lots of things that can be said about my draw to d&d as well ;)

Last edited:

Remove ads