• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Six Nights to Yearsend (Ptolus Group A)

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
The 25th of Yearsend Month, 1:52 AM

Sometimes dreams seem so real, like now as you dream you are in this room soaked in crimson paint and standing against your will amongst your travelling companions.

"By Lothian! What the hell hit this place!"

Dreams aren't always the enjoyable kind. This one certainly isn't, as you imagine a face from nightmares staring at you and whispering a carress in a horrid language you wish you could block from your thoughts. Its a sickly-white and hideous thing, with multiple eyes on a bald head, tendrils that fall from the side of its face like bizarrely-placed dreadlocks, and mandibles in the place of teeth. The language continues, telling you not to move... to stand caked as you are in guts and blood. Your mind rebels and tries to wake from this nightmare, but instead your dream is twisted and you remember happier times such as sharing drinks with your companions.

It was one happy night, when you were drinking with your companions, that a man walked in to the tavern. He wanted you to take a job, and offered you quite a bit of money. He wanted you to investigate... something. Said your reputations preceded you. You try to remember his face, and realize he's hiding something, but the pays good and... why can't you remember his face?

"These three are dead. Mutilated. Who could have done this? Let's head upstairs. It looks like the fighting continued up there."

You remember a nightmare in which you were stepping into some kind of field where the investigation was supposed to start. But it was in the city, wasn't it? Or was it outside, or under? Some monks walked towards you and threw off their robes, showing weapons underneath and came at you, but you slew their leader and began to rout the others. That's when the others came out to attack you, half-naked men that smelled of filth and creatures that looked like demons. It was a trap. An ambush. Blackness comes and the nightmare is thankfully over.

You hear footsteps, then someone throws up. "I wish I had never seen such evil. What have they done to these bodies? And why did they paint the walls like this? Back away, men, we don't want to tangle with the likes of these devils. Davies, go get reinforcements. Davies! Snap out of it and get! Good lad!"

You are bound, while men in robes chant around you. A creature with a hideous face full of mandibles stands amongst them, arms raised and your past nightmare and the current one seem to blend and mesh together. You want this nightmare to end, but instead can only watch as they cut the creature along the chest and collect the ichor from the wound in a large pan. They mix the ichor with other ingredients that you thankfully cannot quite see, but then hands force your mouth open and a cup is held in front of your lips. Realization hits you. You scream and try to fight, but all that comes out is a gurgle as the liquid reaches your throat and your mind begins to grow dull. Hands clamp your mouth closed and once more your vision fades to darkness. But you are no longer alone. A voice whispers in your mind in a language both ancient and hideous. And there are two other voices, garbled in your memory.

"I know you want to use them soon, but the brainwashing will not be complete. Our ally has said he may lose control of them and that there is risk."

"Yes, but our situation is getting desparate and we have to move against the knights now. Besides, the control only has to last long enough for them to do their job. Once our little group of assassins here completes their task, they will be arrested. And then they won't last the night because so many adventurers that loved Kaira and her companions will be out to make sure of that. Vigilante justice is swift, and who will believe anything these Tarsisians say?"

"They aren't moving? It's like they're in a trance. Blokes are probably worn out after the slaughter here or are on something. Tillian and Mitch, try to manacle a couple of them and let's see what happens. Maybe they won't give us no trouble."

This last dream seems more pleasant, but you know already how it ends. You struggle to snap out of it, your mind not wanting to see this one to the finish. Kaira Swanwing and the rest of her companions seem puzzled by your visit, but she welcomes you with a smile. After all, you and your companions have done good things for the city. You say all the right things and smile at the right times. Still, you are not yourselves and the gathered knights of the Golden Cross soon become suspicious and reach for their weapons. But they were having an informal meeting, and were not prepared for battle being unarmored and unequipped for the slaughter to come. Three die outright, and the rest you follow through the house. Kaira is the last to fall, and she does not die well; she looks at you with tears and asks the one question that rages through your mind: "Why?"

You and your companions begin to tear strips of cloth from the fallen, then proceed to butcher their bodies. You then soak the rags and approach the walls so that you may put the symbols of Destor on the walls and disgrace the golden cross that hangs near. Mentally you buck again, and you feel your companions doing the same through some kind of mental rapport held together by the whispering creature. It tries to soothe you in its language, then begs, then threatens, but the more you can feel the struggles of your companions the harder you yourself fight. There is a scream of rage, then you feel that your mind is yours once more and the beast along with the mental link is gone.

"Back off, they're looking right at us! I think they've come to!" Your eyes snap to see two members of the city watch backing away from you in fear, manacles in their hands. Their fear, the red-soaked walls painted in the full moons and hour glass symbols of Destor, the mutilated bodies beneath you, and yourself and your companions covered in caking blood; you hope this is a dream, but this feels both too real and at the same time a reality you wish nothing more to deny.

"Oh, too hell with these murdering scum! Draw swords and take no prisoners!" A city watch captain yells as ten blades are unseathed and surround you and your companions.

----
Morty: You've used a summon monster V and summon monster iii.
Percival: You've used a ray of enfeeblement

wysiwyg

First Post
Kareus

Although Kareus is both confused and disoriented, his second natured instincts cause him to quickly draw his swords. Not wanting to kill the officers of the watch, but also realising the inevitable predicament he and his companions are in. “How do we get out of this one without unnecessary bloodshed”, he ponders. Kareus chooses to make push for the exit, parrying any attacks that will surely follow.

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
Luna

"Wha....what happened?" Luna thinks to herself.

She sees the opposition closing in and knows of one recourse. "Protectors of the peace," Luna starts, " I know not what has fully happened here and yet I will not deny that this is done by our hand. I surrender and entrust to you my life. I will go with you."

Luna turns the group first and says, "Trust me. I have a friend that I think may be able to help us."

Luna then turns to face the city guard and surrenders herself.

Dekana

Explorer
As his mind returned to his control, Kaeso's face changed from that of pure rage to a daze. "What the... no... what THE HELLS!" So much blood... he hadn't seen so much since... no, not even in that battle. No one deserved this kind of desecration. The combination of the grisly sight, the feeling of bloodlust, and the guard's arrival sent Kaeso's mind into a reset of sorts; the guilt, the panic, even the shaking in his hands, all disappeared immediately.

"Who is my enemy? What are my goals? Are we safe? What support do I have? Does the terrain favor us?"

His hand immediately moved to draw his weapon, but Luna's soothing voice caused him to delay. "surrender" she said... Kaeso hated the word, but Luna was right. This guard wasn't his enemy. He had to trust her. He drew his flail, and immediately dropped it to the floor. "We are at your mercy, captain."

[Kaeso surveys his surroundings. Are there other exits? Is anyone else in the room?]

Last edited:

wysiwyg

First Post
Kareus

Looking around, Kareus is seeking the most likely route of escape.

[If he can he'll make a dash for it. Using total defense and the boots of speed]

OnlytheStrong

Explorer
Tagret looks around, the images making him remember some of the terrible battles he has heard about, but was far worse than anything he had ever done. He saw the guards, he heard Luna and agreed with her. He had no intention of running yet. He knew the answers were inside his mind, and he would unlock them.

He figures one of the group should not be taken in though, just in case something terrible does happen to them. He knows who needs to be out. Tagret whispers, I know you must leave us, gods be with you. I shall keep try to keep them here while you run. Be safe friend.

[sblock]

When he attempts to run off, Tagret will rush the two guards. He has no intention really fighting them, but does need to keep them in front of him long enough to allow him to get away.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
By the pews around you, you seem to be in a chapel of some kind, which is fifty feet from the east to west and twenty-five feet from the north to the south. Several pews they shattered and turned to their sides around you, while a large golden cross is covered in blood as is so much else. There are two large, glass windows to the south, both revealing the current top of a crumbling tower. The tower was most likely taller than this level at one point, but age seems to have taken the top half, revealing a new top with wide, winding stairs that you just may be able to leap unto. The other options are to jump through the window (you don't see an easy way to unlock the window) and into the courtyard thirty feet below or to make for the western door to this room and for the stairs leading down just beyond it. There are nine members of the city watch that seem a bit too raw for the combat they seem ready to initiate and a city watch captain with them, who appears a bit more experienced but holds his sword too tightly and sweats a bit too much to give a sense that he is a real challenge. If you use deadly force, these ten will be dead quickly.

wysiwyg

First Post
Kareus

Summoning a great deal of adrenalin, Kareus attempts to flee through the western door and to the stairs below. Hoping this is the way out of the chapel.

OnlytheStrong

Explorer
Tagret darts behind him, but instead of running past the guards, he attempts to slide into the guards legs.

[sblock=ooc]
I was thinking a tumble check at first, but then I just wasnt sure, so I'll wait until you tell me what to do, or you can roll for me. I trust ya! :) [/sblock]

Scotley

Hero
Percival

Horrified by all that has happened. Percival doesn't draw a weapon or try to fight. "I am yours Captain, please take me from this place."

Remove ads