Slow house

nerfherder

Explorer
I had read the first 6 books before watching it on TV, and imagined Philip Glenister playing Lamb. After watching the first series on TV, Oldman is growing on me.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
I had read the first 6 books before watching it on TV, and imagined Philip Glenister playing Lamb. After watching the first series on TV, Oldman is growing on me.

I would read the books, but unfortunately, I am illiterate. That's what Mama Snarf always told me.

"Snarf, you listen up and you listen good. You're illegitimate. Now get yer Mama some of that Boone's farm and a handle of tequila - not the fancy kind, but one in the plastic - to wash it down with."

Oh .... never mind.

I absolutely love the series, although Series 3 (in the UK nomenclature) was a little less compelling (IMO) than the first two. Still solid.*

It's clear that Gary Oldman is having a blast playing the lead role, and I can't get enough of his character. Absolutely love the show.

It was good, and I found a great deal of joy in watching the scene between the director and asst. director of MI5 discussing their machinations over a bottle of booze while the carnage was unfolding at the end. But I just found the overall story was a little more forced and, strangely, rushed compared to the first two seasons.
I did see a bit of a plot hole in series 3.
Wouldn't it have been a lot easier to phone the police anti-terrorist hotline and tell them you had seen several van-loads of armed men approaching a government warehouse, and had swarms of police deal with the gun-toting mercenaries, rather than rushing in yourself?

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
While I enjoy the show (especially Gary Oldman's performance), the third season did have some issues IMO.
  • Why couldn't Taverner have gotten the Footprint document out to the media anonymously herself in some way? Or gotten Donovan hired to work in the document warehouse? Her scheme is quite convoluted and hinged on luck more than anything for things to break her way. It looks too risky to count on for her play for First Desk.
  • It also strained credulity that a private security firm's guys could be taken out by a handful of talented MI5 folks. Sheer numbers would have won out if nothing else.
  • Why risk a breach of the document building? Wait outside (out of camera range) until they come out of the building and take them out. Or put C4 on their cars. If nothing else, why have two points to watch on the building? They should have covered up the last exit hatch with a concrete block too, and then all the mercs could have waited at the entrance (or gone into the building to sweep).
  • Lastly, a minor nitpick: I thought that last hatch could only be opened from the inside? How did Shirley open it from outside?

It also strained credulity that a private security firm's guys could be taken out by a handful of talented MI5 folks.
It strained credulity that the private security people were willing to open fire at all. Under UK law "the security forces told be to do it" is not a defence for a murder charge.

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
It strained credulity that the private security people were willing to open fire at all. Under UK law "the security forces told be to do it" is not a defence for a murder charge.
I think Chieftain figured in this case if they succeeded in their mission, MI5 would clean-up and manufacture justifications for their actions at the document warehouse.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
@Paul Farquhar
@Rabulias

So I have to mention this, because it's both a major issue in a certain way, but also ... I kind of loved it.

Look, the whole issue that started this rolling was this-
The Director of MI5 assassinated an agent for being a whistleblower.
And the file that detailed the assassination could be made public.
So the Director sent in a team of dogs and private security to ... kill the MI5 Custodian as well as numerous other MI5 agents within the building.

Okay? But again, the whole thing was because of a file. That the Director knew about. Which instead of destroying herself, or keeping careful tabs on, she tried to disappear into the bureaucracy.

Which was brushed off as she couldn't just disappear a file because that might attract attention. Because they really track those files ....

WHAT? It's harder to get rid of a SINGLE PAPER FILE than killing off MI5 agents??????? REALLY?

Which is both absurd, but also perfect, in the way that it encapsulates bureaucracies, so I both hated it but also completely loved it.

I think Chieftain figured in this case if they succeeded in their mission, MI5 would clean-up and manufacture justifications for their actions at the document warehouse.
Then they hadn't been paying attention to MI5...

And Chieftain was breaking the law simply by possessing military grade weapons. If you aren't military or authorised firearms officers you are going to prison for a very long time simply for having them, never mind using them.

Remove ads