• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sneak Attacking Undead

Elocin

Lurker (sort of)
Is there some feat or PRc special ability or something in the 3.5 rules that allows sneak attacks to work against Undead? I thought I came across one somewhere and for the life of me I can not remember where. If someone could help me out on this I would greatly appreciate it.

TIA

Last edited:

jarlaxlecq

First Post
Nope, the whole thing about the Undead is that their body doesn't have functioning organs or places where you can "Hurt" them so you cant do criticals. The whole idea with the sneak attack is that you hit them in a place where you'd so lots of damage, throat, spine, etc.

In our paticular Game the DM house ruled it that when you get a critical you role a % die, if you get the right score you'll do something like chop off a leg or hand or their head that would do other damage or extra damage. Its worked pretty well so far

Henry

Autoexreginated
Actually, I believe the Foe Hunter Prestige Class from masters of the Wild allowed it; I personally don't recommend the PrC's ability for the reasons that JCQ mentioned, but there you have it.

Elocin

Lurker (sort of)
Thank you all, looking at both of those PRc's they do allow you to make attacks against Undead that essentially do sneak attack damage, but only one attack per round. The For Hunter only allows you to 5d6 extra damage, called Rancor, once per round while the Skullclan Hunter allows to apply your sneak attack damage as your attack is infused with positive energy to effect an undead as a full-round action.

I don't think this is too bad for either one as it is only once per round.

Cool, thanks guys.

Last edited:

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
For a class that actually makes sense in terms of Sneak Attacking undead, check out The Divine Trickster, a cleric/rogue PrC that expends turning attempts to add positive energy to attacks, enabling them to inflict SA damage on undead.

Then, while you're there, become addicted to the Order of the Stick.

Daniel

UltimaGabe

First Post
Pielorinho said:
For a class that actually makes sense in terms of Sneak Attacking undead, check out The Divine Trickster, a cleric/rogue PrC that expends turning attempts to add positive energy to attacks, enabling them to inflict SA damage on undead.

Then, while you're there, become addicted to the Order of the Stick.

Daniel

Dang it! You beat me to it!

Anyway, as far as prestige classes are concerned, it's fine in my mind for a Prestige Class to grant Sneak Attacks or Crits against undead or constructs- considering you're giving up a large amount of your normal class to do so. What really irks me is when some book comes out with a new feat or something that can be gotten without giving up much that allows such a thing to be done. Undead and Constructs don't have Constitution scores- which means they're always gonna have less HP than a human of the same level, and thus it's balanced since they can't be Critted or Sneak Attacked. When an easy-to-acquire ability comes out that bypasses this, it messes with Game Balance.

There was a feat I saw in the Quintessential Rogue, for example, that's horribly unbalanced. It allows a rogue to Sneak Attack Constructs. That alone is bad enough. But that's not all the feat grants you- in addition for the ability to Sneak Attack constructs, you also gain a +2d6 Sneak Attack damage when making such a Sneak Attack! Wtf?! The first half was bad, and the second half just made it ten times worse. Not only that, but it's got little or no prerequisites.

Stupid Mongoose writers.

Alloran

First Post
UltimaGabe said:
[...] There was a feat I saw in the Quintessential Rogue, for example, that's horribly unbalanced. [...]

Yeah, but in all fairness most of the Quintessential anything are terribly unbalenced. :\

I think I may remember something like that as well... the sneak attack feats. I don't remember for sure, and I could be way off on this one, but I think they may be exalted feats you can take in the Book of Exalted Deeds. If anyone has that handy and they could check it, I'd 'perciate it, but I think there's seperate feats for allowing Sneak Attacks on Undead, Plants, Oozes, and constructs. Like I said, though. It may very well be in another book.

~Alloran

Elocin

Lurker (sort of)
The feat in BoED is called Sacred Strike and what it does is bumps your sneak attack damage from d6's to d8's as long as the creature is evil. So if the creature in question is not affected by criticals this feat does nothing. Mind you if I was playing a rogue I would ALWAYS take this feat, since most of the things you fight are evil.

And I have already been hooked on "The Order of the Stick" for quite sometime now, one of the first places I go to when I log on in the morning.

Last edited:

Remove ads