• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

So about those "electronic" titles we were promised.

Therise

First Post
I don't want PDF's.

PDF's are useful for printing, but lousy for reading on a smartphone, tablet and so on. Instead I want a digital format like epub where you are ment to change the font size yourself.

This is especially true for modules which would be so much easier to run if they were made in a better format than the age old "page" format. A format where you could flick through the mobs in the encounter and not have them bog down the encounter text with lots of stats.
That is an excellent point. I generally like PDFs because I can zoom them on my large monitor, and they're fine on my iPad. But there are lots and lots and lots of different types of tablets and pads these days. It's only going to get more diverse.

The epub format really is quite good for multi-platform sales. I can use epubs on my computer / big monitor just as easily as on my smartphone, and they're fine on my tablet as well.

If they can do epubs, without crazy and invasive DRM that's in your face all the time, then definitely go for something like epubs.

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
So I assume you guys all saw the news about WotC PDFs in yesterday's news?
I'm delighted.

I'm living in a genuine Third World country and have been wanting to get Elminster's Forgotten Realms before it sells out. Hopefully I will be able to once WotC's page goes live.

It's also about bloody time.

mudbunny

Community Supporter
The incident that made WotC stop selling PDFs was a case of crappy pirates being crappy at piracy. The day PHB2 was released, copies of it appeared on torrents... complete with all of the watermarks and security information showing that it came from DriveThruRPG and who the buyers (and original pirates) were.

Stupid people ruined it for us all.

IIRC*, it was also a case of some pdf stores selling pdfs of WotC products and *not* accurately reporting to WotC how much they sold.

*I did a quick Google search and couldn't find any posts mentioning this, so it is very possible that I am recalling wrong.

Last edited:

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
IIRC, it was also a case of some pdf stores selling pdfs of WotC products and *not* accurately reporting to WotC how much they sold.

Really? That's a rather bold "IIRC" statement to allow to just float out there on the etherwebage. Care to back that one up with any links or anything? I've been involved with most of the PDF eTailors since 2001 and as far as I know, none of them have ever been accused of anything more than the occasional bout of incompetence and perhaps a tinge of greed when advantage warranted their leveraging market share. Certainly, nothing worthy of theft-oriented scurrilous message board posts, so I think it's probably a good time to ask you to either step up with some more definite information that doesn't broadbrush all eTailors or perhaps retract that off-the-cuff slander . . . in the interest of fairness.

Remove ads