• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

So after reading the classes in full what do people think?

Lord Nat

First Post
Mourn said:
I don't have my books yet. Are there any actual mechanical distinctions between good and evil paladins?

There are no rules for evil powered divine classes that I have seen.
They left out any rules for evil PCs in the PHB in fact.

keterys

First Post
lutecius said:
Couldn't illusions have an appropriate DC, just like traps?

I imagine that when they unveil the Shadow source classes, like the Illusionist... they may expand more on that.

Maybe.

The Little Raven

First Post
Lord Nat said:
There are no rules for evil powered divine classes that I have seen.
They left out any rules for evil PCs in the PHB in fact.

What about in the DMG? I seem to recall someone saying that evil paladins would be an option in the DMG.

bonethug0108

First Post
Mourn said:
What about in the DMG? I seem to recall someone saying that evil paladins would be an option in the DMG.
I believe it was said that playing evil characters(and info on evil gods) is in the dmg.

Could someone confirm?

Darth Cyric

First Post
Mourn said:
They are. It even has a sidebar where evil clerics and paladins could be reflavored from the PHB descriptions. Either merely describe the special effects of their powers differently (probably the more common option), or even go so far as to change any power with the Radiant keyword to Necrotic (which would definitely fit some evil gods, but perhaps not all of them).

TheSleepyKing

First Post
bonethug0108 said:
I believe it was said that playing evil characters(and info on evil gods) is in the dmg.

Could someone confirm?

There's not so much on the playing of evil characters that I can recall. There is a list of evil gods in the DMG (but no Channel Divinity feats for those gods).

mrrodgers

First Post
Lord Nat said:
Well the mind link power is a low level utility power that links the party with in 30 feet for the encounter. It might help in planing attacks but outside of that it is mostly a flavor power.

The teleporting is all teleporting party members to your side to protect them or teleporting to them to do the same.
Just feels a little off to me...
So houserule it so that the teleport stuff is only available to deities with travel/magic/doors* in their portfolios.

*Silly as it is, logic dictates it. The D&D world is all about polarity and spectra. Thus, if there is a deity for thieves, (and thus lockpicks) then there HAS to be a deity of locked doors.

IanArgent

First Post
mrrodgers said:
So houserule it so that the teleport stuff is only available to deities with travel/magic/doors* in their portfolios.

*Silly as it is, logic dictates it. The D&D world is all about polarity and spectra. Thus, if there is a deity for thieves, (and thus lockpicks) then there HAS to be a deity of locked doors.

Except that this kind of "parity" was shown the egress in 4E design per any number of preview articles... Now, if you were running a Discworld variant, you'd have a case

ProfessorCirno

Banned
Banned
The fact that neither clerics nor paladins are mechanically different from one another regarding alignment or deity (And, for that matter, that a paladin can never fall) makes me wince.

Which is better then the ranger, which makes me projectile vomit.

Remove ads