• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

So gonna buy "Of Sound Mind"

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Say Mike, just curious, is Gateway to Oblivion already out or will it come out later in the year? *hasn't looked at the release schedule to see*

Fiery James

First Post
Hi Nightfall,

Gates of Oblivion will be coming out later this year. Here's our line up:

January
Of Sound Mind
Counter Collection II

February
Beyond All Reason

March
Queen of Lies
Psionics Toolkit

Then, after that you'll see:

Revivify the Vivid
Gates of Oblivion

Plus Of Sound Mind 2 & 3 and more "Toolkits"

- James

Jarval

Explorer
Dang!

Pillars of Hercules said:
Jeez, why would I buy anything by Piratecat?

I mean, he's only one of the most imaginative, interesting DMs and scenario-designers in the history of the entire freakin' planet, with non-linear gameplay, cool combat, well-developed NPCs, fleshed out worlds...

ahem, Yeah, I think I'll buy it. Just maybe. :rolleyes:

Dang! You put it so much better than me.

Fiery James

First Post
Wallpaper Available

Just a quick note to say that Claudio's posted his OSM wallpaper - it's available for download from his site.

I'm totally in love with that one, because it shows several important things without spoiling anything. It's one of those pictures that, after reading or playing the adventure, takes on more meaning.

- James

A'koss

Explorer
I didn't know you were into the adventure writing business Piratecat... I think the last time I was here was during the initial 3e playtest days.

But why, oh why a Psionics adventure PC...? I think the concept of psionics is great if done properly, but D&D has never made them a compelling option... in any edition. I know I'm not alone here. I don't see 3e Psionics being any more popular in the campaign than the 2e rules were.

I think I may pick up your adventure just to mine for ideas and incorporate my own psi rules into but I think you may be limiting yourself here in an already tight market.

Cheers,

A'koss!

Psion

Adventurer
A'koss said:

But why, oh why a Psionics adventure PC...? I think the concept of psionics is great if done properly, but D&D has never made them a compelling option... in any edition. I know I'm not alone here.

Tell ya what, A'koss old pal, why don't you speak for yourself. For I know we aren't alone either. I think Bruce did a pretty good job of ressurecting psionics from the cesspit that prior editions had put them into.

I don't see 3e Psionics being any more popular in the campaign than the 2e rules were.

IMC, there have already been several times as many psionic characters than I even saw in 2e.

A'koss

Explorer
Well with a handle like _Psion_ I'd expect no less! ;)

Every edition has it's psionic boosters, this one is no exception. However, even you have to acknowledge that 3e psionics have not garnered a wide audience. I'm talking about a set of psionic rules that would be compelling to a much wider audience. It's very rare that I hear anything spoken about psionics that isn't in the negative. YMMV obviously.

Personally, I feel it is somewhat better than 2e, however many powers have little to do with psionics, some none at all. eg. Control shadow? The psions are too general in nature for my liking, psionic combat is too complex (look up charts, etc... even Ham's revamp has variable DC modifiers - not good.), and their powers... generally... suck and many should be rethought out.

"Boring" is the word I'd best associate with the 3e psion class. The Psychic Warrior is more interesting IMO, but that doesn't alieviate my previous concerns.

This is why I've been working on a complete psionics revamp for my group which is also on my site, however only the Telekinetic is the only one with enough info to play with (he just needs a beefier power list). Something I hope to be finished by late spring.

Anyway, I've gotten a lot of positive review on it (even in it's rough state) and I think it illustrates where I'm coming from better.

Cheers,

A'koss!

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Just for another data point for you - I have never allowed psions in any previous campaign, but I think the 3e rules have done such a good job that I've integrated them into my current (and long running campaign (as another kind of magic, for my purposes).

And I'm looking forward to *any* kind of adventure written by PC!

(plus being only the second psionic adventure gives him a bigger slice of a smaller pie. Good sense)

Remove ads