• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) So how long until Playtest Packet 8?

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Not sure of the relevancy there...

Do you mean a real-world martial artist? Because, again, not that relevant to a fantasy game. And the whole "monk" trope also includes being trained in weapons bigger than a dagger.

Lots of attacks means slowing the game down, especially if you're keeping bonus attacks and abilities like Flurry of Blows. I've seen monk players take up too much time as is trying to figure out how many attacks they're going to make this round already.

Plus... d4 Critical Hits are the most boring Critical Hits.
Extra dice on a hit representing more attacks.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
We’ll see what the martial arts attack looks like in the next packet, I’m sure.

I hope they aren’t gonna do that. It would just make the monk a high system mastery class in the worst way.
1694306763910.png

It literally mentions daggers specifically as an example in the 1st level weapon mastery ability monks got. It's a pretty obvious combousing the example weapon and the first level abilities alone. "I can use weapons & get weapon mastery on simple weapons>what does this simple weapon in the example allow" is hardly "system mastery" let alone anywhere near "high" levels of system mastery.

Changing it to no longer allow that would be rather disappointing both from a flavor standpoint & the way that hobbles me as a gm from making equipment my players care about getting for their PCs.

doctorbadwolf

It literally mentions daggers specifically as an example in the 1st level weapon mastery ability monks got. It's a pretty obvious combousing the example weapon and the first level abilities alone. "I can use weapons & get weapon mastery on simple weapons>what does this simple weapon in the example allow" is hardly "system mastery" let alone anywhere near "high" levels of system mastery.

Changing it to no longer allow that would be rather disappointing both from a flavor standpoint & the way that hobbles me as a gm from making equipment my players care about getting for their PCs.
The feature does not say that you can make the martial arts attack even if you’ve made a TWF attack, so it is a feature that requires examination of the system in order to work in the way being discussed. It’s that simple.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
The feature does not say that you can make the martial arts attack even if you’ve made a TWF attack, so it is a feature that requires examination of the system in order to work in the way being discussed. It’s that simple.
Yes it does, the first level martial arts feature is split across two pages.... Look at the top where it says "Bonus Unarmed Strike", it follows from this on the previous page where it said
1694312668255.png

simple weapons are mentioned two times there before continuing to the Bonus Unarmed Strike where Simple weapons are mentioned for a third time. They are mentioned again for the 4th time in the Dexterous Attacks section & for the fifth time in the weapon mastery feature itself where it even mentions simple weapons two more times while noting for specific weapons.

That only leaves dagger.... "Dagger 1d4 Piercing Finesse, Light, Thrown (Range 20/60) Nick ",
LIGHT
When you take the Attack action on your turn
and attack with a Light weapon, you can make
one extra attack as a Bonus Action later on the
same turn. That extra attack must be made with
a different Light weapon, and you don’t add your
ability modifier to the extra attack’s damage,
unless that modifier is negative.
For example, if you take the Attack action on
your turn and have a Shortsword in one hand
and a Dagger in the other—each of which has the
Light property—you can make one attack with
each weapon, using your action and a Bonus
Action, but you don’t add your Strength or
Dexterity modifier to the damage roll of the
Bonus Action, unless that modifier is negative.
Pretty clear but not done with the example weapon's properties & they matter while repeating the relevant bits
NICK
Prerequisite: Light Property
When you make the extra attack of the Light
property, you can make it as part of the Attack
action,
instead of as a Bonus Action. You can still
make this extra attack only once per turn.
That's plain english. If mentioning simple weapons seven times across two of the three first level features is not clear nothing in the ruleset not conveyed through direct magical memory implantation is even vaguely hinted.

doctorbadwolf

Yes it does, the first level martial arts feature is split across two pages.... Look at the top where it says "Bonus Unarmed Strike", it follows from this on the previous page where it said

simple weapons are mentioned two times there before continuing to the Bonus Unarmed Strike where Simple weapons are mentioned for a third time. They are mentioned again for the 4th time in the Dexterous Attacks section & for the fifth time in the weapon mastery feature itself where it even mentions simple weapons two more times while noting for specific weapons.

That only leaves dagger.... "Dagger 1d4 Piercing Finesse, Light, Thrown (Range 20/60) Nick ",
LIGHT
When you take the Attack action on your turn
and attack with a Light weapon, you can make
one extra attack as a Bonus Action later on the
same turn. That extra attack must be made with
a different Light weapon, and you don’t add your
ability modifier to the extra attack’s damage,
unless that modifier is negative.
For example, if you take the Attack action on
your turn and have a Shortsword in one hand
and a Dagger in the other—each of which has the
Light property—you can make one attack with
each weapon, using your action and a Bonus
Action, but you don’t add your Strength or
Dexterity modifier to the damage roll of the
Bonus Action, unless that modifier is negative.
Pretty clear but not done with the example weapon's properties & they matter while repeating the relevant bits
NICK
Prerequisite: Light Property
When you make the extra attack of the Light
property, you can make it as part of the Attack
action,
instead of as a Bonus Action. You can still
make this extra attack only once per turn.
That's plain english. If mentioning simple weapons seven times across two of the three first level features is not clear nothing in the ruleset not conveyed through direct magical memory implantation is even vaguely hinted.
You literally just proved my point, melodramatically.

The Monk class feature does not say that you can make a TWF attack and a martial arts attack in the same turn. Mentioning simple weapons is irrelevant. It could mention them in every sentence of the class writeup, and it wouldn’t change that nowhere does it say what you are trying to claim it says.

You can use the biggest font possible, it doesn’t change what is in the monk feature writeup.

Literally nothing you quoted makes the interaction in question explicitly clear in the feature text. The player has to know how the monk works and how TWF with a Nick weapon works, and have a DM that doesn’t think it’s broken (it’s not, but that doesn’t stop DMs banning stuff), and not assume that the Nick property’s language stating that you can still take this additional attack once means you can take any additional attack in the same turn.

Meanwhile, the rule will be clarified before print if it stays, because martial arts and TWF aren’t the only ways to make bonus action attacks.

So, as I said (objectively correctly) we will see when the monk is next playtested and then when the book come out. 🤷‍♂️

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
You literally just proved my point, melodramatically.

The Monk class feature does not say that you can make a TWF attack and a martial arts attack in the same turn.
"twf attack" is not a thing. read the light weapon property from packet7, I even took the time to quote it for you in the post you quoted.

Mentioning simple weapons is irrelevant.
The monk features tell you a simple weapon works... The light weapon property of the simple weapon dagger grants you the extra attack & Nick changes that attack to be done as part of the action instead of as a bonus action where your bonus action is now unused & free to use for your other monk feature.
It could mention them in every sentence of the class writeup, and it wouldn’t change that nowhere does it say what you are trying to claim it says.
Monk even has a 1st level ability that tells you about your ability to use weapon masteries on light weapons where it specifically lists dagger.
You can use the biggest font possible, it doesn’t change what is in the monk feature writeup.

Literally nothing you quoted makes the interaction in question explicitly clear in the feature text.
The martial arts feature tells you that you can use a simple weapon... It's not "system mastery" as you claimed to check what the weapon in the example does.
The player has to know how the monk works and how TWF with a Nick weapon works, and have a DM that doesn’t think it’s broken (it’s not, but that doesn’t stop DMs banning stuff), and not assume that the Nick property’s language stating that you can still take this additional attack once means you can take any additional attack in the same turn.

Meanwhile, the rule will be clarified before print if it stays, because martial arts and TWF aren’t the only ways to make bonus action attacks.

So, as I said (objectively correctly) we will see when the monk is next playtested and then when the book come out. 🤷‍♂️
"TWF" is not a thing of relevance, read the light weapon property, it tells you to use a second weapon. It's only the extra rules you are attempting to fabricate into the monk abilities causing a "problem" for a player following the example pointed out across 2 of their 3 first level abilities. Wotc can't be expected to print rules to clarify a rule you are fabricating on top of the light weapon property or a different version of the monk martial arts feature by pulling from a different edition.

doctorbadwolf

"twf attack" is not a thing. read the light weapon property from packet7, I even took the time to quote it for you in the post you quoted.

The monk features tell you a simple weapon works... The light weapon property of the simple weapon dagger grants you the extra attack & Nick changes that attack to be done as part of the action instead of as a bonus action where your bonus action is now unused & free to use for your other monk feature.

Monk even has a 1st level ability that tells you about your ability to use weapon masteries on light weapons where it specifically lists dagger.

The martial arts feature tells you that you can use a simple weapon... It's not "system mastery" as you claimed to check what the weapon in the example does.

"TWF" is not a thing of relevance, read the light weapon property, it tells you to use a second weapon. It's only the extra rules you are attempting to fabricate into the monk abilities causing a "problem" for a player following the example pointed out across 2 of their 3 first level abilities. Wotc can't be expected to print rules to clarify a rule you are fabricating on top of the light weapon property or a different version of the monk martial arts feature by pulling from a different edition.
Bud, I’m gonna stop engaging on this topic after this reply.

If you are going to be so egregiously and uselessly pedantic as to “correct” the shorthand of “TWF attack”, then you cannot possibly be engaging seriously and in good faith.

The alternative is that you don’t understand that TWF refers to…using two weapons…to fight.

The bolded text is absolute gibberish, as well.

Last edited:

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Bud, I’m gonna stop engaging on this topic after this reply.

If you are going to be so egregiously and uselessly pedantic as to “correct” the shorthand of “TWF attack”, then you cannot possibly be engaging seriously and in good faith.

The alternative is that you don’t understand that TWF refers to…using two weapons…to fight.

The bolded text is absolute gibberish, as well.
Packet seven came out a few days ago, you should download and read it before making authoritative claims or speak of things like "good faith" about it if you aren't going to do so when it gets quoted to you.

Remove ads