So I order a quarter pounder BTL at McDonald's the other day.

I'll answer you with a word problem. If I have 1 opinion and 41 others give their opinion, how many opinions do we have?

Answer this and you get another gold star! Why gold stars? Because they were on the discount rack at the teacher's supply store. Seems there's not as much of a rush on them nowadays.
Gold stars do not reinforce my behavior. As such, you will have to find something else in order for me to answer your problem.

Vyvyan Basterd

Adventurer
Gold stars do not reinforce my behavior. As such, you will have to find something else in order for me to answer your problem.

Who says I was trying to reinforce your behavior? And who says I want you to answer my problem? You got the answer to your question once you figure out simple addition. That should be reward enough, no more gold stars for you!

Zombie_Babies

First Post
But McDonald's doesn't specialize in making burgers. They're specialization is getting food into your hands quickly and moving the line to serve as many people as they can.

Actual restaurants that specialize in making burgers make them fresh so you have to wait. They don't rush you out the door. They cook the meat as you desire, not one-well-done-serves-all.

No one's denying that McDonald's serves lots of burgers, I just would never call it their specialty, especially as someone who worked there long enough to know what aspects of the job the company deemed most important. And that was speed above all else.

Their product, though, is not speed; it's burgers. They can be a burger joint and a fast food place at the same time - and that's what they do. They just don't do it well.

Zombie_Babies

First Post
Interesting note:
I just went to the website, and counted:

Burgers: 14
Chicken sandwiches: 11
Wraps: 15
Salads: 7
Breakfast sandwiches: 15
Coffees: 13

Calling McDonald's a burger place is like calling Wal-Mart a clothes place.

Bullgrit

Not at all. Did you happen to look at any gourmet burger restaurant menus? The one nearest me - The Rail - actually offers more non-burger menu items than it does burgers. It looks like I'm still as right as ever. :eek:

Vyvyan Basterd

Adventurer
Their product, though, is not speed; it's burgers. They can be a burger joint and a fast food place at the same time - and that's what they do. They just don't do it well.

Yes, they make burgers. Yes, they specialized in burgers when they opened. Those original burgers were probably much greater in quality than those today. That's mainly because they no longer specialize in burger-making. They are now a place to get breakfast, coffee, ice cream, burgers, wraps, chicken, and salads and get it fast for when you're on the go. They specifically design their in-store seating to be uncomfortable so you don't want to stay there. The corporate mantra is speed. They don't measure employee's success on the quality of product the put out, but instead on how fast they move you through the line.

And their product is a service, not the food, just like every restaurant. A great burger place specializes in producing the highest quality burgers they can. McDonalds specializes in value and speed.

Last edited:

Zombie_Babies

First Post
Yes, they make burgers. Yes, they specialized in burgers when they opened. Those original burgers were probably much greater in quality than those today. That's mainly because they no longer specialize in burger-making. They are now a place to get breakfast, coffee, ice cream, burgers, wraps, chicken, and salads and get it fast for when you're on the go. They specifically design their in-store seating to be uncomfortable so you don't want to stay there. The corporate mantra is speed. They don't measure employee's success on the quality of product the put out, but instead on how fast they move you through the line.

And their product is a service, not the food, just like every restaurant. A great burger place specializes in producing the highest quality burgers they can. McDonalds specializes in value and speed.

You can't eat value and speed. I wonder, then, what people go to McDonald's for. The burgers, mayhap? I wonder ...

Remove ads