• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Solo Adventure (See inside for rambling details)

Land Outcast

Explorer
I'm not terribly fascinated by the idea of being hunted by the towers...

Another idea: We could always be "heretics", you know, worshipping the old gods (and setting the game in the appropriate era).

Important note: it is my preference (which means little, as perhaps I don't even get to play here) to alter the storyline in case we play on a well documented era. At least that's what we did in my last (and only) Star Wars game, it didn't feel good to be just part of the backgound for epic stories.

Velmont

First Post
Kaodi said:
While being hunted by the Towers of High Sorcery would be rather intriguing... How exactly would you ever manage to stop being hunted by them? Velmont mentioned the idea of being able to clear your name as a campaign goal, but if you are an arcane magic user that cannot take the Tests, you're pretty much screwed and will be hunted forever, according to what you guys are saying.

Not sure what I would want to play in a Dragonlance survival game...

I've been thinking about it, and there is many possibility in Dragonlance. One I think could be interesting is to start during the age of despair. Some character that would fit well in such campaign of ostasism:

- Knight of Solamnia: They are responsible of the Cataclysm, they must die!
- True Cleric: They are suppose to have disapeared, but Denubis/Crysania didn't. What if another cleric had stayed, or someone weilding some similar power (Mystic? Druid?) would really exist during that time, who would believe that? And teh seeker would sure hunt him for Heresy.
- Rogue wizard, Sorcerer, Warlock: Hunted by the High tower.
- Criminals (Any class): Well, dah... and that include wrongly accused people.
- Kender: Kender are never welcome :(

The problem I've seen for Warlock, it is the source of there power. There is so few demon in DL... I don't remember to have seen one, but I havn't read all the novel, so I might miss them. So, the power need to come from another source... I thiught it could come directly from teh Greygem of Gargath. The chaotic nature of the gem could easily do that. It would be the type of Chaos to introduce a new kind of magic. But very few people have come into contact of such artifact... I'm not even sure where the gem is during the age of despair.

Kaodi

Hero
I remember a short story or flashback in which Tasslehoff encountered a bound demon with a suspicious resemblance to Demogorgon. Supposedly it was one of the only time he ever knew true fear. Fiends are not movers and shakers in Dragonlance, but they do exist, as far as I know. A warlock could be a subtle attempt for them to try and gain some sort of outlet for their power in the world. The stronger their warlocks become, the more influence they can exert. I don't remember where the Graygem is supposed to be either, unfortunately... It may be that the artifact moved around of its own volition.

The Age of Despair could be pretty cool time to play in. I was actually thinking of a ranger/rogue before, but a druid/rogue on the run from the Seekers might be an interesting angle to take.

Lord_Raven88

First Post
Velmont said:
Kaodi said:
While being hunted by the Towers of High Sorcery would be rather intriguing... How exactly would you ever manage to stop being hunted by them? Velmont mentioned the idea of being able to clear your name as a campaign goal, but if you are an arcane magic user that cannot take the Tests, you're pretty much screwed and will be hunted forever, according to what you guys are saying.

Not sure what I would want to play in a Dragonlance survival game...
I've been thinking about it, and there is many possibility in Dragonlance. One I think could be interesting is to start during the age of despair. Some character that would fit well in such campaign of ostasism:

- Knight of Solamnia: They are responsible of the Cataclysm, they must die!
- True Cleric: They are suppose to have disapeared, but Denubis/Crysania didn't. What if another cleric had stayed, or someone weilding some similar power (Mystic? Druid?) would really exist during that time, who would believe that? And teh seeker would sure hunt him for Heresy.
- Rogue wizard, Sorcerer, Warlock: Hunted by the High tower.
- Criminals (Any class): Well, dah... and that include wrongly accused people.
- Kender: Kender are never welcome

The problem I've seen for Warlock, it is the source of there power. There is so few demon in DL... I don't remember to have seen one, but I havn't read all the novel, so I might miss them. So, the power need to come from another source... I thiught it could come directly from teh Greygem of Gargath. The chaotic nature of the gem could easily do that. It would be the type of Chaos to introduce a new kind of magic. But very few people have come into contact of such artifact... I'm not even sure where the gem is during the age of despair.

When you're a warlock you don't necessarily know where your powers come from, so that could be part of the fun on the game, the search for your origins.

Some possible origins for strange magical powers could be rival dieties (i.e. from a source other than the thre gods of magic), fey blood, magical experiments/mishaps, contact with an artifact, ancient forgotten form of magic.

Regarding your other suggestions any of them sound like fun, we just need to settle on one of them. ;)

Velmont

First Post
Lord_Raven88 said:
When you're a warlock you don't necessarily know where your powers come from, so that could be part of the fun on the game, the search for your origins.

Put it like that, its makes things interesting...

The Cataclysm have left ruins, poverty and suspicion everywhere. The gods have turned on us. All that have been standing in the light is now in the shadow. Knight of Solamnia are hunted like bandits. Priest are seen as charlatan since no true cleric have been seen since the Cataclysm. Anyway, they have done nothing to prevent it either. Ansalon is trying to rebuild, but great glory of Istar is at the bottom of the blood sea. but all these problem go over my head, I don't care much, I have enough of my own.

A wizard is hunting me. I'm an heretic worst than the seeker, worst than the knights to him. I wield magic and I'm not a member of the tower. To them, there is only one way to wield magic, it is by being a member of there order. And in this dark age, there is just no one to oppose them. So my fate it is to flee them. If there was less trouble, I could just stop to use my powers, but I've stop to count the number of time I would haev died if I didn't had them.

My powers... I wield magic, but I don't know where it come from. It is not from a book, I can barely read. I'm not even sure I draw it from the two moons... or is it three? The third moon is said to be seen only by the black robe wizard. My powers, they always have been with me, as far as I remember, but even there, I don't remember much of my childhood. It seems my memory are fading away. It must be the age. I was an orphan as long as I can remember. I have been wandering the streets of Palanthas. I was mainly begging. but one day, I use my power in a deseperate attempt to get rid of a few thugs who wanted the few steel I had. Just in front of a magical shop. That was clumsy, but that was survival. The wizard who was coming in saw me. I heard he was seeking me in the following days. I had my contacts, and it was clear he didn't wanted me good, so I decided to left Palanthas. It's been now five years I am wandering Ansalon. I've heard twice during that time the wizard was still seeking me. Moving around is my bets defence for now.

But during travels, you make some strange meeting. My travel companions are rare, but two of them have stick with me... or it me who stick with them. Wathever. At least, they won't bring me to the order of high sorcery, and if they are suspicious about my power, they havn't told it yet.

Here a start of backgrund for the character. Anyone who is interested, just write a story of how they met my Warlock and why they are sticking with a magic-weilder who is not member of the tower, as you would have see him using his magic for sure.

This game will happen in the DragonLance setting during teh Age of Despair (Between the Cataclysm and the War of the Lance)

Lord_Raven88

First Post
Velmont said:
Put it like that, its makes things interesting...

Here a start of backgrund for the character. Anyone who is interested, just write a story of how they met my Warlock and why they are sticking with a magic-weilder who is not member of the tower, as you would have see him using his magic for sure.

This game will happen in the DragonLance setting during teh Age of Despair (Between the Cataclysm and the War of the Lance)
If your character is good aligned (or was just fealing generous that day) perhaps he used his powers to save their lives in some fashion, maybe from being burned as witches.

Anyway just a thought, I look forward to seeing what you all come up with.

BTW what level are you going to start out at?

Velmont

First Post
The character will be probably Chaotic Good.

I was thinking to start at level 3 or 4. Lower than that is always very fragile and we will evolve in a world where healing is rare (there might even be no healer in the group).

Land Outcast

Explorer
I'm thinking about a solamnic squire who was about to enter the Order but the Cataclysm step between him and knighthood, also changing his view of the world, including a love/hate of Solamnic Knights and Solamnia (his motherland).

Father murdered by peasant uprising... mother whereabouts unknown.

Scion of a Solamnic family, think someone who was convinced that what the knights strived for could be reached through other means than the Oath And The Measure... but still holds a place within his heart for Est Solarus Oth Mithas.

(Think of a Shadowbane Inquisitor/Stalker from Com. Adv., at least in approximate concept)

Velmont

First Post
Lord Raven: One of the objective of my character is finding the source of his power. The second, it is to get away from the members of the high towers of sorcery. The last objective, it is simply to survive, which mean he lives a bit as a mercenary to earn his steel pieces.

As I've told, he will be chaotic Good. Good by nature, but chaotic because all order and structure he knows doesn't like his kind.

Kaodi: Druid/Rogue which brought attention to the seekers have a good potential. What kind of druid/rogue are you? Can you detail it more?

Land Outcast: Why your character would have join a renegade caster and a druid, which are by nature, outcast in Ansalon?

Lord_Raven88

First Post
Velmont said:
Lord Raven: One of the objective of my character is finding the source of his power. The second, it is to get away from the members of the high towers of sorcery. The last objective, it is simply to survive, which mean he lives a bit as a mercenary to earn his steel pieces.

As I've told, he will be chaotic Good. Good by nature, but chaotic because all order and structure he knows doesn't like his kind.

Kaodi: Druid/Rogue which brought attention to the seekers have a good potential. What kind of druid/rogue are you? Can you detail it more?

Land Outcast: Why your character would have join a renegade caster and a druid, which are by nature, outcast in Ansalon?
It would be fun for Velmont's character to come to the rescue of one of the others as they're about to be executed.

Maybe the Solmanic Knight accidentally revealed himself to the locals by trying to stop a 'witch' being burnt alive, so they decided to take care of him as well. If the warlock saved him it would give them a common reason to be together.

I could also do something similar for Kaodi's character as well.

Remove ads