Solo Game ... Focus on Character/World Development

Velmont

First Post
I didn't thouhgt about V, but now you tell it, yes, it might look like that.

If I go for spellcaster class, I would go for utility spells and buffer spells. I like combat, but I love much more intrigue. The cleric class allow the character to fight a bit better than if he was a wizard class if I chose to go multi-class. Healing, good buffering, and with domain like Trikery, it give a few subterfuge spell (like Invisibility and Disguise self).

Most likely, I would like to do most of the action in one of the three cvilized area, but I might like to be close of the border, where I might find my way into some event related with the demons, without it being the main focus... I'll take some time to read about the three country and try to come with more detail about the campaign I would like to play, and the character itself.

Nonlethal Force

First Post
For Bloodweaver

I think it is the case that the majority of the "stuff" focuses in the urban areas. In general, I would say that there is a significant amount of open space out there ... but it is more of a traditional feudal set-up. The rural land grows the food and takes it to market. The rural areas are largely responsible for the smithing, cause its a stinky smelly job that most cities would rather keep outside. On the other hand, the nobility, academics, and people of power are largely found in the city, though. That make any sense?

Thus ... most of the stuff that is going to happen in an "intrigue" type campaign will be largely urban. However, ranger-type fighters still have rural land to deal with and most rural encounters will be with uncivilized tribes, tribes of various Drakontos (see Homebrew World or my Story Hour), small townies, or wild monsters.

Hope that helps. Ask more if you need more info!

Last edited:

Nonlethal Force

First Post
New Addition to the rules

For anyone interested, I think I want to try out the armor variant in UA (p. 109) as class defense. Here's how it'll work:

When armorless, a character may take the appropriate class defense bonus in table 4-1 on p. 110. For example, I'll compare a fighter with 10 levels with and without the class defense bonus.

A 10th level fighter using the class defense bonus option need not wear armor to gain a +9 bonus to AC. Not bad, right?

However a 10th level fighter using armor might just have a +2 mithril plate of light fortification. This fighter typically will have a higher AC bonus and benefit from the light fortification armor but suffer from things like encumbrance, ACP, etc.

You cannot do both. If you put on the armor, you take what the armor gives you. The only way to get the class defense bonus as listed in the UA is to go around armorless.

I am offering this variant to the rules for free because there seems to be an interest in rougish skills and the armor thing might help out a character build.

I am open to discussion on this matter. Also, for my own campaign I have tabulated each class in all available books for their armor defense ranking. Simply ask me for what I use.

Velmont

First Post
The type of organization is not very important (Guild, political, Military). It is his goal I think would be more important, at least his hidden agenda. It would want to work on the stability of the country, weaken the governement. Why? Not really important. What that matter, it is if teh alliance fall, most likely the demon will have a chance to cross the mountains. It could turn around the strength of Baron Eiden, that is causing social tension. If it worsen, it could be danegrous for the alliance. If you have an idea of what organization I could infiltrate, it might influence the concept of my character, as I will try to make a character that doesn't seem out of his place. It is one thing to pretend to be a soldier or a merchant, it is another thing to know how to fight or bargain... the best cover, is not the one who can pretend, but who can also act like his cover identity.

Nonlethal Force

First Post
For Velmont

Velmont said:
The type of organization is not very important (Guild, political, Military).

Fair enough. If you don't particularily care ... I have much of the world fleshed out in terms of military organizations. have less of the world fleshed out in terms of merchant/guild operations. Perhaps thinking about a certain skill (Craft, Profession, or performance) that would allow him access to an interesting guild might make for a decent story.

This could turn into a more Robin Hood style story where the character infiltrates corrupt sections of various cities and works for the benefit of the people. Of course, it wouldn't have to go this way - it simply could.

Velmont said:
It is his goal I think would be more important, at least his hidden agenda. It would want to work on the stability of the country, weaken the governement.

I'm not particularily sure that I follow the premise here. By working toward the stability of the country but weakening the government do you mean going against corrupt government and replacing it with something more functional and responsible towards the citizens? Or are you talking more like a chaotic push towards anarchy in which the player believes that a strong country is one that is not led by governemnt at all?

In both of these ideas I think skill would take precedence over martial abilities - although martial abilities would not be a bad "emergency plan." If not martial abilities then perhaps magic via illusions or movement. A solo skill focused character will need some means to retreat if things go horribly wrong. That could be in the form of either martial abilities to allow them to defend themselves, magic that allows them to blend in or create an alternate reality via illusion, or magic that allows for ease of movent through spells like Phase door, teleportation, or even fly. In any case, however, it seems to me like you want to focus on the skills aspect as primary, however. Am I reading you correctly?

Nonlethal Force

First Post
For All - 22 hours to deadline!

I don't need a full blown out character by that time, but as I mentioned earlier:

Nonlethal Force said:
1. Character Name:

2. Brief background. [Not long. This can be fleshed out once you know you've been picked. I'm in no hurry]

3. Future goals for character [Game concept, essentially.]

4. Desired starting Level. [I'm flexible, but I'll admit I prefer starting between 2-4.]

5. Thoughts on party/solo.

Here's some comments:

Velmont: you seem to be well on the path to a decent game concept/character.

Rhun: Good start, have you had any time to look at any of my suggestions - or come up with something else?

Unleashed: Boy ... you must not have had a very productive sleep! :p [I jest]

Bloodweaver: Anxiously awaiting your thoughts!

Fenris

Adventurer
Nonlethal Force said:
Excellent! I must add that you are not the first player to latch onto the Eiss Nukti. There is something about the Eiss Nukti that is intriguing.

Gee who could that be? ;)

Wow I wish I had the time for this but I don't. I had a ball creating Yavarin and could easily see him in this game. I am envious. But I still have at least one game with you NLF. So congrats to the lucky fellow who gets in, you'll have a great game with a great GM.

Velmont

First Post
I've thought a bit about the concept of the character, and that will help to see what the game could look like.

First, as I've told, I want a minimal training in arcana arts. Many low level spells are intersting for infiltration. Mostly all of the one I was thinking are in teh Beguiler list, and being a spontaneous spellcaster allow to choose on the fly teh spell, usefull when you don't know what to come with. With higher skill points per level, it is also good for the skills. I would take only a single level in Beguiler, but with Practiced Spellcaster, I could cast them as a spellcaster of level 5, so they would be usefull enough (Example, Disguise self would have a duration of 50 minutes instead of 10).

Second thing, I was looking at the Urban Ranger, a variation of teh Ranger in UA. I like the Urban Tracking feat, usefull in a urban adventure of that type. Also, I was thinking to take advantage of the favored enemy option and choose the organization I have infiltred instead of choosing a race. That means it would be mostly intersting to see the organization being in the action for all the campaign, not only at the start, without always being the focus of the adventures. Also here, good skills. Also, it gives some more martial training to teh character, which is not a bad thing. Here again, I would go only for one level.

The remaining levels, would go in Rogue until level 5th. Best basic class for that type of work.

At level 6th, I think I would be able to qualify for the spymaster, and I would go for it.

With that, I would see that character starting at level 3 at least, so he has all teh training. If we want to have him at least a level of superspy, he might start at 6th.

How I see the campaign. It would be fun to see it starts with his training. In that case, he could start as low as 1st. This chapter might be just an introduction to explain why he has infiltrate some group and how he was trained. It would also help me to familiarize with the world and also forge a bit more his personality, as my characters are better define throught the action fo play than in a background.

After that, there could be a fast foward and start at level 3 to 6, whichever you think te best, and go with the main plot of the campaign.

What do you think of that concept? I think I've found a nice spy here, now, we need to gives him a bit more backstory and personality.

Nonlethal Force

First Post
Fenris said:
Wow I wish I had the time for this but I don't. I had a ball creating Yavarin and could easily see him in this game. I am envious. But I still have at least one game with you NLF. So congrats to the lucky fellow who gets in, you'll have a great game with a great GM.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Fenris! Glad you are still enjoying Mightier than the Sword. [You guys are only a few fights away from leveling! ;) ]

Remove ads