Solo Game ... Focus on Character/World Development

Nonlethal Force

First Post
For Velmont

Velmont said:
Mostly all of the one I was thinking are in teh Beguiler list, and being a spontaneous spellcaster allow to choose on the fly teh spell, usefull when you don't know what to come with. With higher skill points per level, it is also good for the skills. I would take only a single level in Beguiler, but with Practiced Spellcaster, I could cast them as a spellcaster of level 5, so they would be usefull enough (Example, Disguise self would have a duration of 50 minutes instead of 10).

This is interesting. Certainly allowable. I will comment more about the combination of the classes later.

Velmont said:
Second thing, I was looking at the Urban Ranger, a variation of teh Ranger in UA. I like the Urban Tracking feat, usefull in a urban adventure of that type. Also, I was thinking to take advantage of the favored enemy option and choose the organization I have infiltred instead of choosing a race.

I would allow this option as well, although personally I conside it to be a bit limited. The reason being that it would assume that to be effective for the long term the character would fight the organization their whole life. While this is possible, I would guess that it wouldn't provide near as much satisfaction because once the character effects change (hopefully!) in the organization they'd likely want to fight it less. I typically see this option as effective against organizations that span kingdoms - such as "Worshippers of Hextor." This is possible if you still wanted, but I would honestly say you'd be likely to get much more mileage out of something like favored enemy (human). Remember that in 3.5 even a human can take favored enemy (human) without being evil.

Velmont said:
The remaining levels, would go in Rogue until level 5th. Best basic class for that type of work.

This is also acceptable. I typically don't get bent out of shape over XP penalties from non-favored classes, so as long as a player doesn't intentionally make something weird I don't impose them. That should free up your race selection somewhat as well. ;)

Velmont said:
At level 6th, I think I would be able to qualify for the spymaster, and I would go for it.

Spymaster is approved for my games. I figure you knew as much though since I suggested it earlier.

Velmont said:
With that, I would see that character starting at level 3 at least, so he has all teh training. If we want to have him at least a level of superspy, he might start at 6th.

How I see the campaign. It would be fun to see it starts with his training. In that case, he could start as low as 1st. This chapter might be just an introduction to explain why he has infiltrate some group and how he was trained. It would also help me to familiarize with the world and also forge a bit more his personality, as my characters are better define throught the action fo play than in a background.

I'd prefer to let him build up as much as possible. 3rd is a fine level to start at, I'd prefer it to 6th. If you wanted to do a few snapshots of earlier training it could happen if you wanted. It'd likely be easier to simply give you the names of people who trained the character and have you write it in the backstory. But either way ...

Velmont said:
What do you think of that concept? I think I've found a nice spy here, now, we need to gives him a bit more backstory and personality.

Agreed. I am definately intrigued by your composition of classes. I'll do a bit of thinking about some set up and we can see if something comes together. Any particular skill set come to mind?

Velmont

First Post
I didn't know that you could take your own species in 3.5... I just check and you are true, too used to 3.0 rangers. In that case, I might take a species of humanoids... I suppose humans are over 50% of the population, like most races.

For the skills, most likely the character will start with an high Int (14 maybe). I like humans, for there flexibility. I might try an Aster (let's say 60% human/40% Aster) chance. in both vase, or I have +2 Int, or I have more skills, so if I start 3rd, I would most likely start with over 60 skills points. A quick guess would be:
[SBLOCK=List skills]Strong skills
Bluff
Disguise

Average skills
Diplomacy
Disable Device
Forgery
Gather Information
Hide
Move Silently
Open Lock
Search
Sense Motive

Weak skills
Balance
Climb
Concentration
Craft or Perform or Profession [For cover, if needed]
Escape Artist
Intimidate
Jump
Knowledge (local)
Listen
Sleight Of Hand
Spellcraft
Spot
Tumble[/SBLOCK]

Some skill listed might finish to 0. If I have a contact that is specialized in making false papers, I might find Forgery less interesting. If I have someone who can give me information about the important thing on the local scene, I might put less skill points in Knowledge(Local). Wathever I do, there is a few skills that I can't escape.

There is a few skills that will need a minimum ranks: All that are required for Spymaster, and Spelcraft at 4 for practiced spellcaster.

unleashed

First Post
Nonlethal Force said:
Unleashed: Boy ... you must not have had a very productive sleep! :p [I jest]
Yep, totally unproductive. ;) Well here goes...

1. Character Name: Aekalos (NG Drakontos Rogue/Sorcerer--eventually Arcane Trickster--yep Drakontos again, mmm dragons :D )

2. Brief background: Encouraged to explore the world due to his inquisitive nature, by the family of bronze dragons which lead his sheltered community, Aekalos has set out to do just that. Starting with the nearby human kingdom of... (undecided as yet)

3. Future goals for character: Having spent some time outside of his sheltered community, Aekalos finds he wants to experience more about most things...from the intrigue of politics to the military organisations of the human kingdoms, various organisations and guilds he’s come across, to thwarting the evils he's finding discovered in the world.

Simply he’s interested in exploring nearly every facet of the world outside his home...though he has a specific interest in becoming a member of both the Ephistaemi and Pharmakoss, and serving with a variety military organisations.

4. Desired starting level: Happy to start wherever you are...anything from 2nd-level onward is fine as all I really want is a start in both classes.

5. Thoughts on party/solo: Start out solo, I think, picking up NPC companions as we go...though you may be able to change my mind.

Nonlethal Force

First Post
unleashed said:
1. Character Name: Aekalos (NG Drakontos Rogue/Sorcerer--eventually Arcane Trickster--yep Drakontos again, mmm dragons :D )

2. Brief background: Encouraged to explore the world due to his inquisitive nature, by the family of bronze dragons which lead his sheltered community, Aekalos has set out to do just that. Starting with the nearby human kingdom of... (undecided as yet)

You just like the flexibility and the mental stat boosts! :p I don't blame you, though. Through writing my Story Hour I have discovered that I am drawn to the Drakontos as a people as well. Something simply cool about intentionally designing a background around the fact that a character has a moderately intimate relationship with a dragon father. Sweet.

If you are looking for a bit more info on a typical Drakontos lifestyle than you had upon making up Keryth, I would direct you to the Background of Ischarus. Granted, he's a duskblade coming from a silver clan, but the flavor text might give you a decent read. It can be found in the Bitterness Overcome Persona RG thread.

Note that there would be some differences between a silver and a bronze community of Drakontos. The silvers would be much more secluded and reserved whereas the bronze Drakontai are likely more familiar with the "outside world" even if they still choose to remain a tight knit community rather than meld into the developing world around them. The Bronze Drakontai - like their dragon fathers - are likely to have a high sense of good and justice.

unleashed said:
3. Future goals for character: Having spent some time outside of his sheltered community, Aekalos finds he wants to experience more about most things...from the intrigue of politics to the military organisations of the human kingdoms, various organisations and guilds he’s come across, to thwarting the evils he's finding discovered in the world.

Simply he’s interested in exploring nearly every facet of the world outside his home...though he has a specific interest in becoming a member of both the Ephistaemi and Pharmakoss, and serving with a variety military organisations.

Hmmmmm. This sparks many ideas - all of which are beyond the character's knowledge, of course. If you are looking for a decent plac to start geographically, the northern coastal town of Partuss (in Tongra) has a suburb that is currently suffering from a Sahuagin tribe. They would be natural enemies of the bronze and being a coastal area would be an area that a Bronze Drakontai tribe might just live in. Not to mention that Partuss is the home of an arcanist of great reknown: Warus. [And no - you may not think about including Warus in part of Aekalos' background. ;) ] This would also put Aekalos in the region of Earl Patron, and it is a slightly conflicted land. The Earl is a good man, but not a strong leader. There is tension in his domain. Of course, you wouldn't have to start there, just a thought.

unleashed said:
4. Desired starting level: Happy to start wherever you are...anything from 2nd-level onward is fine as all I really want is a start in both classes.

2nd level is no big deal. I actually prefer to not start at 1st level because the characters are so fragile. [When I write fiction I let my characters start small, but that's because ultimately I control the dice, then!] Should you want to start in Partuss, the Sahuagin are typically a CR 2 creature so that would be appropriate - assuming that Aekalos couldn't solve the problem completely at such a low level anyway, but it would give him a place to start.

unleashed said:
5. Thoughts on party/solo: Start out solo, I think, picking up NPC companions as we go...though you may be able to change my mind.

No - I'm not really interested in changing your mind. You know that DM NPC type characters typically take a very non-leading role anyway. I imagine the character will eventually develop a friendship of sorts with one of the NPCs I throw at you. But honestly I'm happy to let you start solo and see where it goes.

Nonlethal Force

First Post
Velmont said:
In that case, I might take a species of humanoids... I suppose humans are over 50% of the population, like most races.

Yes, I do admit to being a bit of a species-ist when it comes to my DMing. I am human, I like humans, so I tend to use alot of them. Occasionally I through in other stuff ... for example my Mightier than the Sword game is currently wading through undead after undead! But if you went FE(human) I think you will get great mileage out of that, just knowing my tendencies and confessing them so that you can make a useful character.

Velmont said:
I might try an Aster (let's say 60% human/40% Aster) chance.

Asters are cool. The small size and the +2 to spot could come in handy from time to time for your character. I am running one in my Clutches of Evil that Unleashed plays in. She's psionic and has made good use of her racial tendencies. They are a neat racial class, but I'll admit I haven't fleshed out their kind very well because I've found people like to stay away from the small races. I'd look forward to the opportunity of seeing what you do with one should you pick it. Having said that, don't let it influence your decision. Merely saying, tis all.

Velmont said:
Some skill listed might finish to 0. If I have a contact that is specialized in making false papers, I might find Forgery less interesting. If I have someone who can give me information about the important thing on the local scene, I might put less skill points in Knowledge(Local). Wathever I do, there is a few skills that I can't escape.

I think your list looks good. I would recommend a craft or profession (or possibly a perform) just for cover purposes. You may never know when working for a few days will help you get the scoop in town as you talk to your customers or co-workers. You needn't max it out, but at least be able to demonstrate knowledge in a craft or profession might be handy.

I think your strong skills look good. I also think your intentional focus on being able to get information through things like diplomacy, GI, etc are also going to be needed. As for your comment regarding forgery and Kn(local) I would say it is your call with forgery - although don't forget you need 4 to get into spymaster - but I wouldn't neglect Kn(local). As a rogue, you don't get many knowledge skills. Plus, if you eventually get 5 ranks in it you get a synergy to boost your diplomacy.

Velmont

First Post
Nonlethal Force said:
Yes, I do admit to being a bit of a species-ist when it comes to my DMing. I am human, I like humans, so I tend to use alot of them. Occasionally I through in other stuff ... for example my Mightier than the Sword game is currently wading through undead after undead! But if you went FE(human) I think you will get great mileage out of that, just knowing my tendencies and confessing them so that you can make a useful character.

If I am most likely change organization during the campaign, I will go for FE(Human), and thinking of that, I just need to blow my cover once, and I must likely be relocated into anotehr organization, so FE(Human) might not be usefull against all people within an organization, but most likely, it will be usefull once in a while.

Nonlethal Force said:
Asters are cool. The small size and the +2 to spot could come in handy from time to time for your character. I am running one in my Clutches of Evil that Unleashed plays in. She's psionic and has made good use of her racial tendencies. They are a neat racial class, but I'll admit I haven't fleshed out their kind very well because I've found people like to stay away from the small races. I'd look forward to the opportunity of seeing what you do with one should you pick it. Having said that, don't let it influence your decision. Merely saying, tis all.

Well, now I must tell, it is more (20%/80%), so most likely I will go fo an Aster. I have played many Rogues (or Rogue type) characters. And the two best I have ever played, I had a Dwarf (officially trapmaker) and a Human (officially a merchant, still playing him in Living EnWorld, you can take a look at him in my Signature, it is Rinaldo di Senzio), so to make a cange, I think I will make an Aster.

Nonlethal Force said:
I think your list looks good. I would recommend a craft or profession (or possibly a perform) just for cover purposes. You may never know when working for a few days will help you get the scoop in town as you talk to your customers or co-workers. You needn't max it out, but at least be able to demonstrate knowledge in a craft or profession might be handy.

I had planned it, and it would be a weak skill. Now what I would choose exactly, I am not sure. I would like to have something that you will find in any organization. Maybe a prefession like scribe, clerk or servant, the type of person that you can find anywhere, that epople are use to see and generally ignore, and have a chance to have access to some nice informations

Nonlethal Force said:
I think your strong skills look good. I also think your intentional focus on being able to get information through things like diplomacy, GI, etc are also going to be needed. As for your comment regarding forgery and Kn(local) I would say it is your call with forgery - although don't forget you need 4 to get into spymaster - but I wouldn't neglect Kn(local). As a rogue, you don't get many knowledge skills. Plus, if you eventually get 5 ranks in it you get a synergy to boost your diplomacy.

I've start to flesh out the character a bit. As an Aster, he will haev Int of 16. If I ever choose a human, it would fall to 14, but with the bonus skills of the humans, it would end with the same numbers of skills.

Code:
[B]Skill Points:[/B] 62       [B]Max Ranks:[/B] 6/3
[B]Skills                   Ranks  Mod  Misc  Total[/B]
Balance 		   0    +2          +2
Bluff 			   6    +2    +3    +11
Climb 			   1    +0          +1
Craft/Perform/Profession   2    +?          +2
Diplomacy 		   4    +2          +6
Disable Device 		   2    +3          +5
Disguise 		   6    +2          +8
Escape Artist 		   0    +2          +2
Forgery 		   4    +3          +7
Gather Information  	   4    +2          +6
Hide 			   4    +2    +6    +12
Intimidate 		   2    +2          +4
Jump 			   1    +0          +1
Knowledge (Local) 	   2    +3          +5
Listen 			   2    +3          +5
Move Silently 		   4    +2          +6
Open Lock 		   2    +2          +4
Search 			   4    +3          +7
Sense Motive 		   4    +3          +7
Sleight Of Hand  	   2    +2          +4
Spellcraft 		   4    +3          +7
Spot 			   2    +3    +2    +7
[S]Tumble 			   0    +2          +2[/S]

A note of some choice of skills. Balance, Escape Artsist and Tumble should have 1 rank in each, but as I want to have the Practiced Spellcaster feat, there rank have been place in Spellcraft. Tumble is crossed as it is trained only, so I can't use it yet. I will keep Forgery, it can always be usefull, and I think I can spare the skill points in it, so it will raise in time, and won't stop at 4 ranks. Decipher Script is mostly useless, as I have Comprehend Lnaguage and Read Magic spell in my Beguiler's spell list :) I am not yet decided on the Craft/Perform/Profession I will choose, but most liekly it will be a Profession, as I told earlier.

For the choice of feats, I don't have many, and as I told, I want Practiced Spellcaster to make my few spells usefull, and I need Skill Focus(Bluff) as a pre-requisit as Spymaster.

unleashed

First Post
Nonlethal Force said:
You just like the flexibility and the mental stat boosts! :p I don't blame you, though. Through writing my Story Hour I have discovered that I am drawn to the Drakontos as a people as well. Something simply cool about intentionally designing a background around the fact that a character has a moderately intimate relationship with a dragon father. Sweet.

If you are looking for a bit more info on a typical Drakontos lifestyle than you had upon making up Keryth, I would direct you to the Background of Ischarus. Granted, he's a duskblade coming from a silver clan, but the flavor text might give you a decent read. It can be found in the Bitterness Overcome Persona RG thread.

Note that there would be some differences between a silver and a bronze community of Drakontos. The silvers would be much more secluded and reserved whereas the bronze Drakontai are likely more familiar with the "outside world" even if they still choose to remain a tight knit community rather than meld into the developing world around them. The Bronze Drakontai - like their dragon fathers - are likely to have a high sense of good and justice.
Nah, I just like dragons. :D

I'll take a look.

Well, since Keryth was an orphan, I thought I'd go with a community this time. Yeah, I assumed they'd be more familiar with the outside world, and even the neighbouring kingdom, hence the encouragement to go explore on his own rather than him following a mentor around. ;)

Nonlethal Force said:
Hmmmmm. This sparks many ideas - all of which are beyond the character's knowledge, of course. If you are looking for a decent plac to start geographically, the northern coastal town of Partuss (in Tongra) has a suburb that is currently suffering from a Sahuagin tribe. They would be natural enemies of the bronze and being a coastal area would be an area that a Bronze Drakontai tribe might just live in. Not to mention that Partuss is the home of an arcanist of great reknown: Warus. [And no - you may not think about including Warus in part of Aekalos' background. ;) ] This would also put Aekalos in the region of Earl Patron, and it is a slightly conflicted land. The Earl is a good man, but not a strong leader. There is tension in his domain. Of course, you wouldn't have to start there, just a thought.
Well, there's not much point setting goals within his current knowledge...where would the fun be in that. ;) Location sounds good, and it never even crossed my mind to add Warus to his background...I'd much rather he met such a personage ingame for the first time. :p

Nonlethal Force said:
2nd level is no big deal. I actually prefer to not start at 1st level because the characters are so fragile. [When I write fiction I let my characters start small, but that's because ultimately I control the dice, then!] Should you want to start in Partuss, the Sahuagin are typically a CR 2 creature so that would be appropriate - assuming that Aekalos couldn't solve the problem completely at such a low level anyway, but it would give him a place to start.
Hmm, sounds like fun, though Aekalos would still be quite fragile...especially if he actually runs into a Sahuagin...CL = CR, not good for the PC most times. ;) As for controlling the dice...you still do! :p :lol:

Nonlethal Force said:
No - I'm not really interested in changing your mind. You know that DM NPC type characters typically take a very non-leading role anyway. I imagine the character will eventually develop a friendship of sorts with one of the NPCs I throw at you. But honestly I'm happy to let you start solo and see where it goes.
Yeah, I'd rather gather any companions along his path...feels more organic that way, plus it's more fun. :D

Rhun

First Post
Hey Nonlethal Force...I'm going to drop my submission for this game. It looks like you've got plenty of interest though! Good luck, and have fun!

Nonlethal Force

First Post
Okay ... so I'm a sucker for interesting games and I love giving players a chance. [I knew this when I made the thread ... and since response has been low I think I can appease people rather than forcing to pick. I had the clause for picking in case I got swamped with responses.

Velmont, Unleashed: I'll be setting up games for you shortly assuming you're still interested. ;) I'll post a link here directing you to the OOC thread.

Velmont, I'm getting a solid handle on what your character is going ot look like, and that's cool. I'll do some serious work on the part of the Homebrew World you want to be set up in and get you a list of pertinent information. Once I create your OOC thread I'll let you post your character there. I figure we don't really need a Rogue's Guild Thread unless you would like to use it as a place for you to keep track of NPC names/descriptions/whatever that your character should remember. If you wanted to do that I could certainly set it up for you - or you could set it up yourself.

Unleashed, I'll await for a response regarding my earlier post before coming together with your storyline. Yours should come together rather quickly, too.

Bloodweaver: The deadline has come and now gone. If you are still interested, please post and I'll let you know how my time is and how the other games are going. I may not be able to start games up immediately for you if you are interested, but I might find I have time in a bit. It all depends on the games I'm currently running. Typically, I find myself with more time here than my games need. In either case, if you have an interest keep me informed!

Rhun: Thanks for the note. I appreciate your interest, though!

Velmont

First Post
Nice, I'll finish to flesh it out later this week. I'll make it at level 3, as I want to have the three classes at start, but as I told, there could be some introduction if you want, where he is lower levels.

I won't need a RG, I'll put the stats in the OOC thread, and I'll link it to my signature. I'll edit the character with the note I want to add.

Remove ads