Space Gamer, Different Worlds, Fantasy Gamer, White Wolf magazine, Shadis, Pyramid...

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Heroic Worlds

Hey, I just wanted to let you guys know that last week I found out that my local library has a copy of "Heroic Worlds" by Lawrence Schick. :) It truly does have a reference to every single RPG book (as far as I know) published up to the 1991 publication date of the book. Most such references are in the form of a short paragraph, but some are only a sentence or two. Many of these entries merely describe the product and its contents, but some do provide actual commentary that can be used for the Reception section. So far, I have used the book to build up the articles on Against the Giants, Desert of Desolation, Dragons of Despair, Dwellers of the Forbidden City, Expedition to the Barrier Peaks, Isle of Dread, Keep on the Borderlands, Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth, Ravenloft, Scourge of the Slave Lords, Tomb of Horrors, Unearthed Arcana, and White Plume Mountain, and I'm not anywhere near done. :)

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
What a productive week! Against the Cult of the Reptile God, The Assassin's Knot, Beyond the Crystal Cave, Blizzard Pass, Curse of Xanathon, Dragons of Flame, Dungeon Master's Guide (1st and 2nd edition), Dungeons & Dragons Expert Set, Dungeons & Dragons Master Rules, The Ghost Tower of Inverness, Greyhawk Adventures, Night of the Seven Swords, Oriental Adventures, Quagmire!, Queen of the Spiders, The Secret of Bone Hill, Swords of the Daimyo, Temple of Death, and ‎World of Greyhawk Fantasy Game Setting are all much better, at least in the sourcing department. :)

Now, I have gotten to the point where most of the most important stuff is out of the way. I wasn't going to post more of these weekly updates... unless, of course, you really want me to. ;)

Regardless, I was going to update this thread from time to time whenever I got my hands on any other magazines or sources, so you'll hear from me again either way. :)

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Oh, I know I said I wouldn't be back, but I lied - I just couldn't stay away. ;) Last Tuesday I spent a couple of hours at the library while I was on vacation from work, and I just went crazy and got 21 more articles with citations from "Heroic Worlds": Bloodstone Pass, Castle Caldwell and Beyond, The City of Greyhawk, Dark Clouds Gather, Dragons of War, Dungeoneer's Survival Guide, Earthshaker!, Eldritch Wizardry, Forgotten Realms Adventures, Ghost of Lion Castle, Gods, Demi-Gods & Heroes, Horror on the Hill, Journey to the Rock, Maze of the Riddling Minotaur, The Mines of Bloodstone, Mystery of the Snow Pearls, Ochimo: The Spirit Warrior, Swords of the Undercity, Swords & Spells, Tomb of the Lizard King, and Treasure Hunt. I will be back again for more this week, quite likely today. :)

Last edited:

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Found more gaming mags!

While I have your attention (in theory?), I just wanted to point out that I found out about three more RPG magazines since I started this thread: "Adventurer", "Arcane", and "Challenge". Arcane seems to have a lot of reviews for products at the end-stage of TSR, while the other two only have a little bit of anything. Here's a link to my list again for people who lost track: Wikipedia:WikiProject Dungeons & Dragons/reviews list - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

coyote6

Adventurer
Challenge was GDW's magazine; the few issues I have were way more focused on SF games than D&D or fantasy. I think the closest they got to fantasy was Torg and Shadowrun. I recall a lot of GDW articles (Trav, 2300 AD, T2K, Space 1889, etc.), SR, BT, and so forth. I don't think there were any D&D articles, but I only have a handful of issues.

Remove ads