Space Gamer, Different Worlds, Fantasy Gamer, White Wolf magazine, Shadis, Pyramid...

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
In Challenge #43 there is a review for the Spelljammer boxed set, and in Challenge #46 the original Ravenloft Campaign Setting - that's all I know of, but the RPGnet index is far from complete on that magazine.

coyote6

Adventurer
Have you checked the Traveller wiki, here? They have contents for some issues. Hmm, but I don't see any reviews mentioned -- it might not be any use to you.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
OK, so when I said last week not to expect me to keep topping myself as far as sourcing from "Heroic Worlds", I really wasn't trying to challenge myself... but I guess I went and did it anyway. :confused: I had made it my goal to try to finish this project before the end of the year, and with only 60-something books remaining, and a few hundred out of the way, it is now well within my reach. :) I should get at least half of those next week, allowing me to deal with the rest at my leisure. So, here is what I got this week: Adventure Pack I, All That Glitters, Baltron's Beacon, The Best of Intentions, Bestiary of Dragons and Giants, Black Opal Eye, Blade of Vengeance, Blood of the Yakuza, The Book of Wondrous Inventions, City of the Gods, Conan Against Darkness!, Crown of Ancient Glory, Death's Ride, Dragons of Deceit, Dragons of Dreams, Dragons of Ice, Dragons of Light, Dragons of Triumph, Dragons of Truth, Dragonlance Adventures, The Duchy of Ten, Dungeon Master's Design Kit, Egg of the Phoenix, The Elixir of Life, The Emirates of Ylaruam, Empires of the Sands, The Endless Stair, Eye of the Serpent, Five Coins for a Kingdom, The Forest Oracle, The Forgotten King, Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting, The Grand Duchy of Karameikos, In Search of Adventure, Into the Maelstrom, Isle of the Ape, The Kingdom of Ierendi, Lathan's Gold, Legacy of Blood, The Magister, Manual of the Planes, Mists of Krynn, Moonshae, Needle, The Principalities of Glantri, Realms of Horror, Red Arrow, Black Shield, Red Sonja Unconquered, RPGA Tournament Handbook, Sabre River, The Savage Coast, The Savage Frontier, The Shattered Statue, Skarda's Mirror, Talons of Night, Temple of the Frog, Test of the Warlords, Thunderdelve Mountain, The Tree of Life, Twilight Calling, Under Illefarn, Vengeance of Alphaks, Where Chaos Reigns, World of Krynn, and The Wrath of Olympus. Whew! My biggest week yet, and I will promise right now that I'm not going to exceed that, given what I have left to do. ;)

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Have you checked the Traveller wiki, here? They have contents for some issues. Hmm, but I don't see any reviews mentioned -- it might not be any use to you.

If the reviews aren't actually posted (and I expect they wouldn't be, to avoid copyright entanglements) then it's probably not of any use to me, but if I look through it I may find more evidence of reviews than what RPGnet allowed me to believe? ;)

I've a complete run of Arcane magazine, I'll be happy to help.

Be careful what you suggest, for I may have to put you to work! ;) Based on RPGnet's index of "Arcane", I found that there were quite a few D&D reviews from the mid-late 1990s time period. Probably the first thing I'd ask you to do is check to see if there was anything from issues #1-2, 10-13, 15-18, and anything 21 and beyond (assuming the magazine didn't end at issue #20), as RPGnet does not index these. I would not be surprised if you find little or nothing in the later issues, as TSR was not printing anything for several months at one point, before WotC took over the business.

I've noticed you've not mentioned Imagine magazine either, I think that did reviews as well. I have a complete run (1 to 30) of that also.

Cool; RPGnet does not appear to have Imagine listed in their index, so I have no idea what to expect. :) Since I'm aware that is a publication affiliated with TSR and focusing largely on AD&D, I'd be interested to know.

Bagpuss

Legend
I found that there were quite a few D&D reviews from the mid-late 1990s time period. Probably the first thing I'd ask you to do is check to see if there was anything from issues #1-2, 10-13, 15-18, and anything 21 and beyond (assuming the magazine didn't end at issue #20), as RPGnet does not index these.

It finished at issue 20.

Issue one reviews.

For AD&D - Birthright (excellent!), Chronomancer, Complete Ninja's Handbook, Giantcraft, High Level Campaigns, Sword and Crown

Also they review Everway, Feng Shui, Necromunda, Vampire: The Eternal Struggle, among others what a great time for gaming that was!

Issue 2 - Avengers in Lankhmar, Country Sites, Elminster's Ecologies, The Evil Eye, Masterpiece Collection, Planescape Monsterous Compendium, The Return to Randall Morn, Skills and Powers.

I'll see about getting stuff scanned for you.

Last edited:

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Oh, wow... awesome. :) Don't have articles for most of those, which is OK since I can always start them up!

Need to know in each case (except for those which remain static): publisher, author, cover date (M/Y), article title (even if it's just "Reviews" or whatever), and page #s.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
From my index, linked to in post #19 above, I have the following listed per RPGnet:

Arcane #3: Dark Sun Expanded and Revised, Dungeon Master's Screen, The Nightmare Lands, Pages from the Mages

Arcane #4: Night Below: An Underdark Campaign, Cities of the Sun, Joshuan's Almanac & Book of Facts, Shaman, Planes of Conflict, Wizards and Rogues of the Realms, Encyclopedia Magica Volume Four

Arcane #5: Cleric's Challenge II, Mind Lords of the Last Sea, Windriders of the Jagged Cliffs, Player's Secrets of Ariya, Player's Secrets of Talinie, Warriors and Priests of the Realms, Forged of Darkness, The Silver Key, Monstrous Compendium Annual Volume Two, Neither Man nor Beast, Warlock of the Stonecrowns

Arcane #6: The Book of Magecraft, Player's Secrets of Binsada, Something Wild, The Sword of Roele

Arcane #7: Faiths & Avatars, Den of Thieves

Arcane #8: Bleak House: The Death of Rudolph van Richten, Uncaged: Faces of Sigil, Ravenloft Monstrous Compendium Appendices I & II, Treasure Tales

Arcane #9: Player's Option: Spells & Magic, The North: Guide to the Savage Frontier, Player's Secrets of Baruk-Azhik, Player's Secrets of Halskapa, The Rjurik Highlands

Arcane #14: Psionic Artifacts of Athas, Legends of the Hero-Kings, Player's Secrets of Khourane, Requiem: The Grim Harvest, Undermountain: Maddgoth's Castle, The Planewalker's Handbook

Remove ads