• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spam Emails Pissing Me Off

Teflon Billy

Explorer
Lefferts said:
They actually fall for the same crap they try to pull on others?

This guy did. they really go to great lengths to try and build a "Close" relationship with you. Comments like "You are the onky person I feel comfortable dealing with" and suchlike will get you far.

Just remember my golden rule: never, ever, give them any good information. None. Zero. Fake names, fke number, fake addresses, everything fake. Just get good at making up lies about why they aren't able to contact you except by email.

One of my favorite moments was when I got a dude named "Mgume Ngamu" to pay postage on a bunch of "Computer Equipment" from my imaginary store. I told him I was Eastern Canada's leading independent Computer retailer and he suggested that I send him some gear to increase the ease with which we could ocplete the transaction.

I told him to just compile a list of what he would like sent, and I would send it to him (I could write it off my taxes as a business expense). The guy was greedy beleive it or not:)

He asked for a half-dozen Pentium 4 laptops, flatscreen desktop monitors, MP3 Players(?) and a variety of other things. he also requested some cash in the box to help grease the wheels as he was going to have to bribe some people.

I sent him what can only be caslled a bunch of junk. A couple of old, burned-out routers, a bunch of loose TV parts. Casette tapes, bags of sand and a cinderblock.

He, naturally, freaked out when he got the package--I suspect that postage to Lagos Nigeria isn't too cheap-- and wrote to me about how I had betrayed him, he! my very good friend! Like Brothers we were:). It was beautiful.

I was tempted to keep stringing him along, but I let him off the hook instead, just telling him that everyone I persoanlly know is aware of his type of scam.

He threatened to kill me, which I thought was pretty mean thing for a guy who thinks of me "like a Brother" to say:(

Harmon

First Post
Hyjack

Couple years ago I was watching the news and the newscasters were talking about a Nevada based scam that was running in our area with gas cards. The phone rings and its this guy offering a phone card for this "great deal!" I started laughing and asked if he works for such and such, he replied that he did all confused. "I was just watching the news about you guys and the scam your running," I told him. He was confused explaining that it was a really great deal and there was no scam. "Ya, okay. You have a do not call list?" "Ya." "Put me on it."

End Hyjack

der_kluge

Adventurer
Teflon Billy said:
I like to lead them on. I invent all manner of charcters, family deaths, letters from legal firms etc.:)

I just realized that all of the Nigerian Scams I get, I forward to their providers to shut down the email accounts they use. And then I forward them to a government address for investigation (not that I think much ever happens with that...)

Next one I get, I'll be sure to forward on to you.

Teflon Billy

Explorer
der_kluge said:
I just realized that all of the Nigerian Scams I get, I forward to their providers to shut down the email accounts they use. And then I forward them to a government address for investigation (not that I think much ever happens with that...)

Next one I get, I'll be sure to forward on to you.

Thanks man:)

The Thayan Menace

First Post
Peace Be Upon You ....

For one scam, I actually had a guy appeal to my sense of Muslim brotherhood ... it was very similar to the classic Nigerian scam, but he claimed to be from Qatar.

I think he saw my name on this site, and thought he had a live one. ;)

-Samir Ibn Asad

Teflon Billy said:
One of my favorite moments was when I got a dude named "Mgume Ngamu" to pay postage on a bunch of "Computer Equipment" from my imaginary store.
Oh... my... goodness.

Did he pay you via PayPal or somesuch, or did he have to send you his bank account number to where his father, the Late General. Ngamu had deposited $25,000,000.00 dollars (twenty five Million U.S. dollars) in cash?

Remove ads