• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Speaking in "faux old English" [Poll]

Do you use faux Old English dialogue?

• Frequently

Votes: 8 2.9%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 92 33.7%
  • Never

Votes: 154 56.4%
  • Other

Votes: 19 7.0%

Templetroll

Explorer
in a PBem campaign I once had a cleric facing undead present his holy symbol to them and exclaim, "Avaunt thee to Hell and Perdition!" The DM replied, "I guess that means you are turning them. yep, I checked dictionary.com. Cool."

That's about the only times I use that.

So, since everyone is down on archaic English, how do you feel about Pirate Speech?

Rystil Arden

First Post
Buttercup said:
Thank you. My inner pedant was rattling the bars of its cage over this one.

Old English is what Beowulf was written in.
Middle English is the language of Chaucer.
Shakespeare is actually considered modern English.

But to answer the question, no. I don't sprinkle my in-game conversation with goofy-ass psuedo archaic language.

--Pouty & Pedantic Buttercup
Completely agreed!

Although admittedly, I've had one notable exception in a game where a Roman spirit tried to talk to a PC in Old English (the real Old English, not Elizabethan English), asking "Do you speak English", and the PC couldn't make out any of it at all.

diaglo

Adventurer
Buttercup said:
Thank you. My inner pedant was rattling the bars of its cage over this one.

Old English is what Beowulf was written in.
Middle English is the language of Chaucer.
Shakespeare is actually considered modern English.

But to answer the question, no. I don't sprinkle my in-game conversation with goofy-ass psuedo archaic language.

--Pouty & Pedantic Buttercup

qft.

i sometimes speak about apples & pears .... (translation = stairs). but that's Modern English (no, not the Mesh and Lace album) too. just with a cockney accent. cah. blimey.

librarius_arcana

First Post
diaglo said:
qft.

i sometimes speak about apples & pears .... (translation = stairs). but that's Modern English (no, not the Mesh and Lace album) too. just with a cockney accent. cah. blimey.

That's Cockney Rhyming Slang, (used originally used as code so the police couldn't understand what was being said,)

diaglo

Adventurer
librarius_arcana said:
That's Cockney Rhyming Slang, (used originally used as code so the police couldn't understand what was being said,)

i know what it is. but it is also a form of Modern English.

diaglo "spent his youth in Engerland" Ooi

edit: my Danish is too rusty and accented to do justice to faux Old English

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Gold Roger said:
I actually prefer modern anarchronistic english for my gaming

I rather like this conflation of anarchy with chronistic! Anachronistic might mean chronologically misplaced, anarchronistic could then mean all over the shop!

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
GrumpyOldMan said:
Haddaway man, Ah've nivvor hord owt sa daft. Rund ower way most folk aalwaz use aye and na.

Very credible geordie, I must say (and no, nothing to do with star trek to those as don't understand!)

Remove ads