• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Speaking in "faux old English" [Poll]

Do you use faux Old English dialogue?

• Frequently

Votes: 8 2.9%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 92 33.7%
  • Never

Votes: 154 56.4%
  • Other

Votes: 19 7.0%

pawsplay

Hero
ColonelHardisson said:
No, never. I find it silly, especially when someone says "aye" instead of yes. It can also be grating when the person using it does so inconsistently. A good example would be how Elminster speaks in some of Ed Greenwood's old FR articles in Dragon.

Um, "aye" still a part of modern english. All in favor say, "Yaw, dude!"

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
pawsplay said:
Um, "aye" still a part of modern english.

Not for common, everyday use for anyone not in the navy or marines. In the context of message boards like these, it's almost always used as a faux-old english way of saying "yes."

EDIT: I take that back. I'm speaking from an American viewpoint. What cultures still use "aye" for yes in common, everyday usage? The Scots and/or the Irish, perhaps? If so, then that's a dumb oversight on my part.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Gold Roger said:
Geez, so that's what a nonnative speaker gets for snagging some random word from a message board and using it. :p

Where are you from? We have anachronisms here. (called Anachronismus /-men) They're widely available.

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
pawsplay said:
So what? most people don't say GMPC, dracolich, philibuster, or duodenum on a daily basis, either.

Those words aren't affectations when they're used. "Aye," when used on gaming message boards or RPG writing, almost always is.

Gold Roger

First Post
ColonelHardisson said:
EDIT: I take that back. I'm speaking from an American viewpoint. What cultures still use "aye" for yes in common, everyday usage? The Scots and/or the Irish, perhaps? If so, then that's a dumb oversight on my part.

Why, pirates of course :p (sorry, couldn't stop myself)

Kae'Yoss said:
Where are you from? We have anachronisms here. (called Anachronismus /-men) They're widely available.

Lets put it that way: Ich habe ein schlechtes Gedächtnis für Wörter.

Minicol

Adventurer
Supporter
Guillaume said:
I might in some very special occasions. However, as I game mostly in French and there isn't really an equivalent, I answered Other.

I might in some cases use some faux old French, but my players are better than me at that game. And they don't speak current English to begin with, so ...

Remove ads