• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Special Conversion Thread: Frogs n' Toads

Shade

Monster Junkie
Thanks, Johnathan!

And thanks for giving us so many great monsters and ecologies. Heck, the duckbunny alone should get you in the Hall of Fame. :D

Richards

Legend
Heh, thanks. I'm considering using an awakened duckbunny in my next "for-use-at-home" adventure, and he'll probably become a recurring NPC.

Johnathan

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Johnathan, let me just also say that I think I've (sadly) missed out on a lot of your work (which I now have to go look for), but I'm very fond of these frogs and toads. I'm definitely working spined toads into my campaign just as soon as we run into lizardfolk!

Shade

Monster Junkie
Fill in the X's...

Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability, a spottle toad must hit with its bite or tongue attack. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it wins the grapple check, it establishes a hold and can attempt to swallow the foe in the following round.

Swallow Whole (Ex): A spottle toad can try to swallow a grabbed opponent of up to one size smaller by making a successful grapple check. Once inside, the opponent takes X points of bludgeoning damage plus X points of acid damage per round from the toad's digestive juices. A swallowed creature can cut its way out by using a light slashing or piercing weapon to deal X points of damage to the frog's digestive tract (AC X). Once the creature exits, muscular action closes the hole; another swallowed creature must cut its own way out.

A Small spottle toad's gut can hold 1 Tiny, 2 Diminutive, or 8 Fine opponents.

Reflexive Tongue (Ex): As an immediate action, a spottle toad may attack a foe up to 10 feet away with its tongue. It gains a +20 insight bonus on this roll. If it hits, it deals no damage but immediately makes a grapple check (see Improved Grab, above). A spottle toad is not considered to be grappling a foe if it uses its tongue to grapple. Once it grapples a foe, the spottle toad can drag the victim into its square if the creature isn't too heavy (a standard spottle toad can pull up to x pounds in this manner) whereupon it immediately makes a free bite attack against the foe, gaining a +2 circumstance bonus on its attack roll.

A spottle toad's tongue has AC X, and can be severed if it takes 5 points of slashing damage. The tongue regrows in one day.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Shade said:
Fill in the X's...

Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability, a spottle toad must hit with its bite or tongue attack. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it wins the grapple check, it establishes a hold and can attempt to swallow the foe in the following round.
This looks good.

Swallow Whole (Ex): A spottle toad can try to swallow a grabbed opponent of up to one size smaller by making a successful grapple check. Once inside, the opponent takes X points of bludgeoning damage plus X points of acid damage per round from the toad's digestive juices. A swallowed creature can cut its way out by using a light slashing or piercing weapon to deal X points of damage to the frog's digestive tract (AC X). Once the creature exits, muscular action closes the hole; another swallowed creature must cut its own way out.

A Small spottle toad's gut can hold 1 Tiny, 2 Diminutive, or 8 Fine opponents.

In order, X=1d2, 1d4, 2, 10.

Reflexive Tongue (Ex): As an immediate action, a spottle toad may attack a foe up to 10 feet away with its tongue. It gains a +20 insight bonus on this roll. If it hits, it deals no damage but immediately makes a grapple check (see Improved Grab, above). A spottle toad is not considered to be grappling a foe if it uses its tongue to grapple. Once it grapples a foe, the spottle toad can drag the victim into its square if the creature isn't too heavy (a standard spottle toad can pull up to x pounds in this manner) whereupon it immediately makes a free bite attack against the foe, gaining a +2 circumstance bonus on its attack roll.

A spottle toad's tongue has AC X, and can be severed if it takes 5 points of slashing damage. The tongue regrows in one day.

x=1/4 lb? Did we still want this to be limited to Fine or Diminutive objects?

Shade

Monster Junkie
Updated to account for all that. Do those abilities look good?

Environment: Any?

Challenge Rating: 1/4?

Advancement: 2-3 HD (Small)?

A spottle toad is 3-4 feet long and weighs 20 to 30 pounds?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads