• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Special Conversion Thread: Frogs n' Toads

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
How about natural armor +0 as the ghoul frog is smaller and has thin skin? That would put the AC more in line with the original, also.

Bite should be 1d3 damage. Maybe the tongue should be the same or 1d4?

I think the poison should be ingested (since it's supposed to come into play if you eat the frog). I'd say initial damage is nauseated for 1d10 minutes, secondary is nauseated for 1d4 hours.

CR1 or 1/2? Weight 5 lbs?

Shade

Monster Junkie
That all looks good. Updated in Homebrews.

Since it's habitat is listed as "any fresh water", should we make it aquatic and give it the amphibious property?

Last edited:

Shade

Monster Junkie
Dragon #247 said:
In addition, ghoul frog skin, once dried and powered, can be a useful ingredient in the manufacture of magical inks used to transcribe various spells. It is predominantly used for such light-based spells as faerie fire, dancing lights, and so on, but it can also be used for corpse visage and similar spells that deal with at least the appearance of being undead.

Ghoul frog blood is a vital ingredient in the manufacture of skeletal potions (see Dragon Magazine #198, “The False Undead”), which turn the imbiber’s skin and organs invisible
but leave his bones unaffected. In a pinch, it can also be used to create potions of invisibility, but such potions are usually inferior in terms of duration and often cause a flickering luminescence that negates the benefits of the invisibility.

Thoughts on this?

freyar

GrayLinnorm said:
It sounds like a strong case for making this creature a magical beast.

Back to this again, are we? ;)

Isn't ink for scrolls, etc, a mundane item, though? This sounds like an ingredient just used for effect. As for the skeletal potions, maybe we should leave those out since they're a bit obscure.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Creature type debate aside, should we simply treat their powdered skin as a "power component" to light-based spells, perhaps increasing the effective caster level or duration?

freyar

Shade said:
Creature type debate aside, should we simply treat their powdered skin as a "power component" to light-based spells, perhaps increasing the effective caster level or duration?

Maybe. I'm not sure if this was intended in the original text, but it's not a big deal to me either way.

Remove ads