Star Wars 5th edition

Laurefindel

Legend
[MENTION=6801915]famouswolfe[/MENTION],

This project looks fantastic. However, it's a bit hard to pick-up for people like me arriving late to the party, as we have to sift through 12 pages of posts to get the information.

I believe you can update your posts pretty much indefinitely here at GitP. I would suggest updating your OP, liking new versions of your documents there. This would make it easier for new people to participate in the thread and leave feedback (if that's what you want). Otherwise keep posting your design notes in the thread, announce that the OP was updated with *change*, and the conversation continues.

'findel

famouswolfe

Explorer
[MENTION=6801915]famouswolfe[/MENTION],

This project looks fantastic. However, it's a bit hard to pick-up for people like me arriving late to the party, as we have to sift through 12 pages of posts to get the information.

I believe you can update your posts pretty much indefinitely here at GitP. I would suggest updating your OP, liking new versions of your documents there. This would make it easier for new people to participate in the thread and leave feedback (if that's what you want). Otherwise keep posting your design notes in the thread, announce that the OP was updated with *change*, and the conversation continues.

'findel

Hadn't even occurred to me! Thanks for that, I'll update my original post. Cheers!

Famouswolfe

briand

First Post
The updated races look a LOT more balanced. I'm a bit wary of the Wookiee's +3 Str, but otherwise it looks really good. I especially like the character you've given the Zabraks--they were pretty bland in Saga, and this one is way more fun.

My only criticism with the equipment doc is that the Combat Jumpsuit and Stormtrooper Armor are both listed as light armor while using medium armor AC calculations (X + Dex modifier, max 2). Ditto with the Corellian Powersuit being medium but using heavy armor's flat AC value. What makes an armor light/medium/heavy changed from 3e to 5e, and as such armors like the chain shirt went from light to medium and chainmail went from medium to heavy. I'd recommend following suit as part of the update.

famouswolfe

Explorer
The updated races look a LOT more balanced. I'm a bit wary of the Wookiee's +3 Str, but otherwise it looks really good.

I too was a bit wary of giving Wookiees such huge Strength bonuses, but ultimately I decided to for several reasons. One, Wookiees are the strongest species in the galaxy, only rivaled by mechanical things like some droids, cyborgs such as Grievous, humongous creatures like rancors, and super-powerful Sith lords that use the Force to enhance their strength to supernatural levels. Two, most combat in Star Wars is ranged combat. Yes there is some melee combat, especially when Jedi are involved, but most of the time blasters will be used. Ultimately, if a +3 strength bonus is too unbalanced or OP then I will scale it back and add in a few other perks. Your input is appreciated though!

I especially like the character you've given the Zabraks--they were pretty bland in Saga, and this one is way more fun.

Thanks! I really did put in a lot of thought and research while designing the various races. Zabrak are described as very hardy aliens with dual hearts and the ability to survive hostile environments and injury that would incapacitate most other characters. Also, not gonna lie, I might've taken an idea or two from a certain Time Lord with two hearts who travels time and space inside a mysterious blue box...

My only criticism with the equipment doc is that the Combat Jumpsuit and Stormtrooper Armor are both listed as light armor while using medium armor AC calculations (X + Dex modifier, max 2). Ditto with the Corellian Powersuit being medium but using heavy armor's flat AC value. What makes an armor light/medium/heavy changed from 3e to 5e, and as such armors like the chain shirt went from light to medium and chainmail went from medium to heavy. I'd recommend following suit as part of the update.

I was planning on revamping the armor. I wasn't aware though that what constitutes light/med/heavy armor changed from 3E to 5E, thanks for pointing that out! Honestly, I pulled the list of armor straight out of the Saga Edition core rulebook and then slapped on AC values from the 5E PHB. I'll go back and redo those later. Thanks for the awesome feedback though!

Happy holidays everyone!

Last edited:

famouswolfe

Explorer
Pre-Alpha Release *Please read entire post*

Hello everyone, just wanted to post an update. I first want to apologize, this project has definitely taken far longer than I anticipated. Part of it was a desire to do everything perfect, the other part was life in general. I'm still working diligently as ever, however I've decided to go ahead and release what I have so far. I want to stress that this is absolutely a super pre-alpha release. In fact, right now only the Jedi class is 100% truly done. I'm still refining the Force Adept, the Scout, the Soldier, the Noble (Socialite), and lots of other things. Feel free to play and critique my work as normal. In fact, I look forward to your criticism. This honestly should help speed things up. Once again, this is a pre-alpha release, NOTHING is in a finished state yet. Also, just to clarify: the classes that are currently in the PDF titled Star Wars Next (Pre-Alpha) *are* in a finished state, the classes that appear in SWN Classes, Equipment & Enemies PDF *are not* in a finished state (what you see in that PDF is basically a sort of manuscript that I'm refining and polishing). Hope this doesn't cause any confusion!

Thanks everyone for sticking around, may the Force be with you.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4Ig2q5DSn-OMm9uR19IOEZNVGs

Joshua Andrews

First Post
Any chance anything new has been made? I realize the last comment was over a year ago but I'm honestly really hoping. I really just need a monster manual at this point. Love your work so far

Now a Star Wars d20 would work better with Starfinder.

And do you know? I have thinking about a mas-up + reboot of the franchise, because I miss a lot of things from Star Wars legends, but I also want to add more things, for example mind-transfer and digital immortality. Other important change is I want to add more force-adept factions because I don't like too much jedis as attention centre always saving galaxy. Jedis are cool, but we can't wear the same dress everyday. And I would change something about the background of Yuuzhang Vong, with biopunk technology, but not all their machines would be organic. Their robotphobia wouldn't be so radical, only they have bad memories because their worlds suffered collateral damages by a war between beings as the cybertronians (transformers).

famouswolfe

Explorer
**Update**

Sorry for the silence everyone. A lot has happened since my last post. So my Macbook Pro died on me back in May of 2018, I started getting the dreaded black screen of death (it would light up and boot but the screen wouldn't display anything). My friendly local Apple Store was quoting me $600 to get it fixed, to which I laughed and "said no way in hell". I was using Apple Pages to do everything and found it would've taken too much effort to reformat over to MS Word. Also, in 2018 I got married (on May 4th no less!!) and found out back in December that my wife and I are expecting a baby! My point is, all these life events have definitely changed my plans quite a bit (*cue wamp wamp waaaaamp sound*).

All is not lost though. Due to the enthusiasm and responses I'm getting from this forum, I've decided to continue my work. I just bought myself a used iMac (typing on it right now) and I'm back in the game!! As far as a release goes, right now I think I'll work on a sort of "monster manual" (obviously won't be titled that) and Arms/Equipment, and that should be sufficient for a beta release. After that, I plan on working out the background/bonds/flaws etc. From there, the rest of the book should pretty much write itself. If you're at least even somewhat familiar w/ combat and other aspects of 5th edition D&D you'll immediately feel at home (which was my goal from the start).

Thank you all for your loyal support and patience! Who would've guessed that writing an RPG is much harder than it sounds? Lol. May the Force be with you!

Last edited:

famouswolfe

Explorer
Now a Star Wars d20 would work better with Starfinder.

And do you know? I have thinking about a mas-up + reboot of the franchise, because I miss a lot of things from Star Wars legends, but I also want to add more things, for example mind-transfer and digital immortality. Other important change is I want to add more force-adept factions because I don't like too much jedis as attention centre always saving galaxy. Jedis are cool, but we can't wear the same dress everyday. And I would change something about the background of Yuuzhang Vong, with biopunk technology, but not all their machines would be organic. Their robotphobia wouldn't be so radical, only they have bad memories because their worlds suffered collateral damages by a war between beings as the cybertronians (transformers).

'Ya know, I was thinking that Starfinder would've been great as a Star Wars RPG. Honestly though, if someone else wants to do that more power to them. I'm way too invested in my 5e conversion to Star Wars, plus SF is based on D&D 3.5 which there already exists an edition of Star Wars RPG based on 3.x D&D (look up "Star Wars Revised Core Rulebook"). Thanks for the input though!

Remove ads