Star Wars 5th edition

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
Regarding the Jedi class posted here. Looks pretty good. Not sure about severing limbs. I love it, but might not be for some people - though it is certainly a well-used trope in the movies ;)

Starting Hit Points are high. (I get that you are doing this on purpose, ie Saga style, but still).

Staring proficiencies: 5E does NOT add INT bonus to number you start with.

Other than that, I agree with [MENTION=97691]Tensen01[/MENTION] (I think it was anyway), that for a conversion, I would be looking at a few more classes OR even better making extra cool things like being an ace pilot into some feats. That way anyone can access the features.

(Kinda like riding in 5E. Mounted combat stuff is really feat-driven, as anyone can ride etc.)

famouswolfe

Explorer
Curious if you're planning on just doing the classes from SAGA or if you've looked at maybe expanding a bit. Like Maybe Pilot or Bounty Hunter.

One thing I've noticed about 5E is that prestige classes tend to be incorporated into the archetype path that you choose, usually around 6th-11th level. So the whole "Jedi Healer" prestige class and "Jedi Battlemaster" concepts are things that I've worked into the base class.

To answer your question, I will be including Ace Pilots and Bounty Hunters as specialization options for the Scout. Soldiers, while they can take the pilot skill, I see them more martial oriented so they would instead get something like the Elite Trooper and Gunslinger prestige classes. Although I suppose I could make Ace Pilot available to *both* classes, not that hard to imagine that both soldiers and scouts couldn't be amazing starship pilots.

Edit: Also, regarding species, I've already got all of that taken care of. Right now my biggest focus is on designing the classes and enemies.

famouswolfe

Explorer
Regarding the Jedi class posted here. Looks pretty good. Not sure about severing limbs. I love it, but might not be for some people - though it is certainly a well-used trope in the movies ;)

Starting Hit Points are high. (I get that you are doing this on purpose, ie Saga style, but still).

Staring proficiencies: 5E does NOT add INT bonus to number you start with.

Other than that, I agree with @Tensen01 (I think it was anyway), that for a conversion, I would be looking at a few more classes OR even better making extra cool things like being an ace pilot into some feats. That way anyone can access the features.

(Kinda like riding in 5E. Mounted combat stuff is really feat-driven, as anyone can ride etc.)

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated! Regarding Hit Points, you are right that in Saga starting HP was high, this was because your basic Storm Trooper armed with a blaster rifle could unload an AoE auto fire attack that did (IIRC) 4d8 damage or something of the like. I remember reading an interview w/ one of WoTC's SWSE designers saying basically that increasing HP was the only way they could get around that. I suppose I could nerf the damage by a d8 or so, or we can always adjust starting HP to be in the 20's + Con modifier etc. Point is, nothing is set into stone, that's why I'm posting here in the community to get valuable feedback.

Yes, I'm aware that 5E does NOT allow Int modifier to choose skill proficiencies. However, Saga edition has more skills and it was just necessary to include more to reflect how much better trained characters in the SW universe are. What would you recommend instead? Just increasing the base choice to like 4 skills or something?

Regarding the classes, I'll be honest I hit a bit of a proverbial brick wall. I didn't want to just take the Saga classes and just rewrite all the rules into 5E, I want to actually transform Saga into a proper port. I'm feeling like I may have bitten off more than I can chew though lol because designing classes is very time consuming. Having said that, the way 5E is set up, your archetype/path choices are pretty much what determines what "kind" of class you are (EX: are you a sword & board kind of fighter, or are you an eldritch kind of fighter?) Saga edition has a bit more flexibility because you can pick and choose what kind of feats/talents you want in order to shape your character. What I'm doing is basically taking the prestige classes (Ace Pilot, Elite Trooper, Jedi Knight, Bounty Hunter etc) and working them as archetype choices into their respective classes. For example, Scouts will be able to become ace pilots and bounty hunters, Nobles can become officers, etc. I think that makes up for the lack of flexibility in ditching the talent/feat system.

Thanks again for your feedback, you guys rock!

Remove ads