Star Wars and its faithful

Dagger75

Epic Commoner
Joshua Dyal said:
Thats insane! I still watch my OT (and by OT I mean pre-special edition versions) two or three times a year. I remember quite well. ;)

I have an old VHS copy of Star Wars from like the 80's. I am going to make my nephew watch that one first before he sees the remade one. He will be the only one hanging out with his friends knowing that Han shot first.

mojo1701

First Post
Dagger75 said:
I have an old VHS copy of Star Wars from like the 80's. I am going to make my nephew watch that one first before he sees the remade one. He will be the only one hanging out with his friends knowing that Han shot first.

And then he'll see the newer ones and realize how bad it is to be hung up over one thing.

CrusaderX

First Post
CarlZog said:
Now before I start getting flamed, let me just say: If you really like the setting that sprung up around the Star Wars movies, more power to you. Discuss it, add to it, have fun with it. Enjoy all the material (games, books, TV, whatever) made for it. I do the same thing with far more obscure franchises.

But please stop treating it like biblical scripture. There is no "canon." It's just a simple movie that ended up way more successful than even its creator ever imagined.

I'm a huge Star Wars fan, and I completely agree. The films are the ultimate "B" movies. No more, no less. They're great entertainment (at least the originals were), and they've made a huge impact on the film industry, but some fans do take these films way too seriously.

Or at least they did. Before Episode I came out, I recall quite a few stories of overzealous fans thinking that the Force was a real religion. After Episode I disappointed many, I saw less and less stories about fans taking various Star Wars elements so seriously. So to this Star Wars fan, in a way it's a good thing that The Phantom Menace failed to live up to expectations in some peoples eyes. It brought them down to reality, and made them realize that gee, these really are just movies after all. And that Lucas isn't some infallible messiah figure. He's just a guy in flannel with some cool ideas, along with some bad ones.

Darth K'Trava

First Post
Ankh-Morpork Guard said:
You do realize that not all of us Star Wars fans run around griping and complaining about how Lucas ruined our childhoods, yes?

Maybe his mommy didn't take him to see Star Wars when he was a kid..... :p

Darth K'Trava

First Post
Dagger75 said:

And that's the way it should be, dammit!! :] :mad:

Ranger REG

Explorer
CrusaderX said:
And that Lucas isn't some infallible messiah figure. He's just a guy in flannel with some cool ideas, along with some bad ones.
You do realized the Flannelite and Lucasan churches have charged you with blasphemy, right? :lol:

Gentlegamer

Adventurer
CarlZog said:
I've never been able to get into Star Wars. I always thought the first movie was a lot of fun, but that was pretty much it.

I've always asserted that the first movie was nothing more than a great take-off/update of the old 1930s Flash Gordon and Buck Rogers serials. My folks grew up on the serials and passed them on to me. By the time Star Wars was first released, I had enough late-night UHF reruns under belt to know a duck when it quacked.

For a long time, I've avoided expressing this opinion among the Star Wars faithful, because it generally annoys them. I've met so many fans who adhere to the belief that Lucas is some kind of sci-fi Tolkien, who had this expansive world and its structures already planned out in detail from the get-go.
I've always known this. Star Wars is "space opera" and is a synthesis of sci-fi, fantasty, 1930s adventure serials, Westerns, and melodrama. A superb blend, indeed!
"No wonder you're always disappointed when you've got those kind of expectations from a simple serial director," I think to myself. But except for strongly recommending that fans learn who Buster Crabbe is, I don't argue.
Thing is, Star Wars isn't just Lucas's. Star Wars was a collaberative effort of artists, costumers, musicians, screenwriters and directors. That is what made the original trilogy great. Lucas didn't have carte blanche. Now that he does, well, we've seen the result.

Gentlegamer said:
Star Wars was a collaberative effort of artists, costumers, musicians, screenwriters and directors.

To a point, it still is. Yes, the screenwriters and directors no longer applies(though the director thing only really works with Empire, as Lucas ended up pretty much directing Jedi, too), but its definitely still a collaberative effort of artists, costumers, and musicians.

Ranger REG

Explorer
Gentlegamer said:
Thing is, Star Wars isn't just Lucas's. Star Wars was a collaberative effort of artists, costumers, musicians, screenwriters and directors. That is what made the original trilogy great. Lucas didn't have carte blanche. Now that he does, well, we've seen the result.
Collaborative or not, Georgie-boy is the designated creator.

Henry

Autoexreginated
There is no "canon." It's just a simple movie that ended up way more successful than even its creator ever imagined.

Just the fact that you're calling it "canon" and not "Cannon" means that I want to have your man-babies. :D

I keep telling people that it can't be Star Wars if it doesn't have at least a 150-thread count, darn it!

Remove ads