• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Steve's 3e character generator

vorlek

First Post
Anyone heard of, or does anyone have an updated copy of Steve's 3e character generator? I thought this was the best character generator program. I currently got the latest of PC Gen though,, is this as good? Any good comments?

EricNoah

Adventurer
I last heard from Steve Mulhern sometime last summer, when he gave me and another fellow the "ok" to post a 3.5 updated spell spreadsheet. At that time he mentioned something about working on a 3.5 update to his character sheet. But to my knowledge that never happened.

morpheous1777

First Post
EricNoah said:
I last heard from Steve Mulhern sometime last summer, when he gave me and another fellow the "ok" to post a 3.5 updated spell spreadsheet. At that time he mentioned something about working on a 3.5 update to his character sheet. But to my knowledge that never happened.

Do you know where I can get the updated spell sheet 3.5 ?? Ive been looking but I Just cant find it.

mattcolville

Adventurer
Ok, well this won't do. I need something. I don't care if it's a modified version of Steve's sheet, or something else. If I have to built it, I will. Maybe we could do it as a group?

Maybe the ETools :):):):) is working now, I don't know...but I need something powerful, simple, and that uses all the books I own, and ain't nothing out there that does that yet.

ManicFuel

First Post
mattcolville said:
...but I need something powerful, simple, and that uses all the books I own, and ain't nothing out there that does that yet.

The "uses all the books I own" bit is a tough one. And something powerful and simple on the front is usually complicated on the back, so customization is then a problem. I was on Steve's early beta list (I think LonePaladin was on that too), and we all learned a lot about the scope of the task. Steve really stretched to make his sheet house-ruleable, complete within the confines of the sources he chose, and letter perfect. It is a huge undertaking.

I have a 3e interactive form in Excel format, generally complete, that does a lot, but it's a bit slow and doesn't have much beyond the WotC core, splatbooks, and a few Green Ronin books. Email me offline if you'd like to see it, it's too big to post here (2.5Mb stripped and unzipped). I'm toiling on the 3.5 version now.

mattcolville

Adventurer
I don't need...hell, I don't WANT something as complex as Steve's Sheet. It was certainly very powerful, but it was so complex, even seasoned Excel users in my group couldn't get into it.

I'm working on something much less powerful, but fast. We'll see.

Right now, it will let you pick race levels from the first dropdown, three more dropdowns for classes, two for templates and one for prestige class. It's something I'm building that will meet my needs. I don't need it to track size or alignment or stuff like that. Hell, I don't need it to track PrC requirements. I can do that. I just want to something that does the math, adds everything up, and lists the special abilities.

ManicFuel

First Post
mattcolville said:
I don't need...hell, I don't WANT something as complex as Steve's Sheet. It was certainly very powerful, but it was so complex, even seasoned Excel users in my group couldn't get into it.

I'm working on something much less powerful, but fast. We'll see.

Right now, it will let you pick race levels from the first dropdown, three more dropdowns for classes, two for templates and one for prestige class. It's something I'm building that will meet my needs. I don't need it to track size or alignment or stuff like that. Hell, I don't need it to track PrC requirements. I can do that. I just want to something that does the math, adds everything up, and lists the special abilities.

I'm with you, but hear me out. Give it a look before you charge out there and roll your own. At the very least, you're likely to find something to cut and paste. Link's at the bottom. It's a complicated thing, but not the part you interact with. It's laid out like a standard character sheet, labeled, dropdowns, etc.

If you'd like to build your own, I encourage you to do so - we all have different needs and tastes. But be smart about it and steal judiciously from others. ;-) And please send me what you've got when you're feel ready, I'd love to see your approach.

Which reminds me, Thanks Steve Mulhern, LonePaladin and Bruce Finch!

http://members.cox.net/jdfrenzel/3ECS.zip

mattcolville

Adventurer
ManicFuel said:
I'm with you, but hear me out. Give it a look before you charge out there and roll your own. At the very least, you're likely to find something to cut and paste. Link's at the bottom. It's a complicated thing, but not the part you interact with. It's laid out like a standard character sheet, labeled, dropdowns, etc.

If you'd like to build your own, I encourage you to do so - we all have different needs and tastes. But be smart about it and steal judiciously from others. ;-) And please send me what you've got when you're feel ready, I'd love to see your approach.

Which reminds me, Thanks Steve Mulhern, LonePaladin and Bruce Finch!

http://members.cox.net/jdfrenzel/3ECS.zip

I checked it out. I looks pretty cool. Just to test it, I made a 5th level Half-Celestial Ogre Ranger. It seemed to know what was what, but it didn't track special abilities well, and I couldn't find the output bit. But I didn't scour it.

ManicFuel

First Post
mattcolville said:
I checked it out. I looks pretty cool. Just to test it, I made a 5th level Half-Celestial Ogre Ranger. It seemed to know what was what, but it didn't track special abilities well, and I couldn't find the output bit. But I didn't scour it.

Not all of the templates, races and classes are fully implemented, which is why the special abilities are not displaying. Not sure what you mean about the "output bit". The mechanics for displaying the abilities?

Remove ads