Stonefist Academy - 3.5 D&D - OOC - Recruiting Closed

Fangor the Fierce

First Post
The Stonefist Academy

The current times have been quiet for the most part. It has been a long time since the name of Maximo Stonefist had been heard, other than wild stories of adventures and monsters. He has long since given up the brave life of adventuring and has been rumored to be living in a city by the name of Springside. Springside is a city that dwells in a lower valley beneath a mountain range. It has always been a nice town, with the occasional chance for adventure popping up here and there. Many adventurers have made it their goal to make it to Springside, meet with Maximo, and learn all that they can from him. His teachings have been known to prove many adventurers as heroes in their own right. Your first decision is to make it to Springside.
The roads in this country used to be numerous, with merchant caravans wandering around, from town to town. Unfortunately, Springside is somewhat cut off from most of the other routes, due to the mountains that guard it’s eastern and northern sides. The rest of the countryside is dense forest. Small rivers and creeks are sparse, and many wild animals roam the forest. The western edge of Springside is where the main road meets its gates. The roads frequently held many people traveling to this town for various supplies, aid for nearby villages, or the wandering adventurer looking for a quest to fulfill. It is a dirt road, with no cobblestones. Wagon tracks are very rare now these days, as times have changed. The southern edge of town opens into the large Valley of Draken. The valley is not desolate, and there are patches of hills, small groves of trees, and many scattered rock patterns. The mountains continue to border this valley to the east and dark skies have always clouded the upper region of the mountains. Blacktongue Peak is the famous mountain that usually frequents most stories of Maximo. His greatest adventure was assisting in the slaying of a great black dragon that loomed over the valley many years ago. The valley was in dire need of saving, and he, along with a group of able-bodied souls, set out and destroyed the dragon. Since then, the valley has had peace, or so it would seem.

Game Info:
3.5 Rules
Characters begin at Level 1, Core Races

Books allowed: Core, Complete ____ Series, No Psionics
Posting on my end will be at least 2x per week, possibly more - I expect players to be able to post twice weekly
Characters will need a decent background to get an idea of why they want to join the Academy

If the plot-line option is taken (see below), then the characters will each have a unique item given to them at character creation
I am looking for 4 to 6 characters

Concept:
Stonefist Academy is a place that you can learn as well as earn a reputation. The game will involve the characters, who are intent on joining the academy and seeing what it has to offer. This will be a 'series' of adventures that come in the form of available jobs from the Academy. You choose what job you want to do, complete it, and then earn your reward.

The second part of this is that there is an underlying plot going on that you can choose to participate in. Not necessary, but optional. You can either stick to simply taking and completing jobs, or you can opt to tie in the jobs to a plot-line for a campaign. Character's choice, majority rules.

Notes:
This will be my first time to DM here in ENWorld, but not my first DM'ing. Roughly 7+ years of D&D, mainly 3.5 and now Pathfinder.

Last edited:

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Well nice to see you starting a game here FtF. I am interested but you know very busy.

To start I wish you luck and if you need an alt (or no one wants to play the cleric) I will be happy to jump in.

I'm sure the first questions you will get soon are...

How do we generate stats?

And how much starting gold?

HM

Fangor the Fierce

First Post
Stats will be 4d6, drop lowest and arrange as you would like. You can do this twice, and take the better of the two sets. All rolling will be done via the dice roller here on ENWorld.

Starting Gold - MAX for class

Herobizkit

Adventurer
This sounds like a decent concept. I have a question and a related suggestion.

Question: Does the Academy support all PC "classes", i.e. will most attendees be PC classes versus NPCs?

Suggestion: As a theme, perhaps this 'Academy' is in fact a YOUTH Academy; all PC's must be no older than 17 (or equivalent for their race).

jackslate45

First Post
Sounds like a very interesting idea of a sandbox idea of choosing your fates.

As for class, I am thinking a warrior like cleric, as I always wanted to play with the Ordained Champion PrC (Complete Champion). The idea of fueling your gods power through a mighty weapon always sounds fun.

EDIT:
Set 1: 9/12/14/11/18/12
Set 2: 15/14/16/13/17/15

Also, which God Listing should we be using?

Last edited:

Fangor the Fierce

First Post
Herobizkit said:
Question: Does the Academy support all PC "classes", i.e. will most attendees be PC classes versus NPCs?

Yes, pretty much all of the students are using Character Classes setup as PC, not NPC. Is you spar, you are on equal footing (for the most part)

Herobizkit said:
Suggestion: As a theme, perhaps this 'Academy' is in fact a YOUTH Academy; all PC's must be no older than 17 (or equivalent for their race).

There are two tiers of students. The first is the entry level students, of which you will be a part of. They are also finding out what this place is about, how it works, and if it is for them to stay or leave.

The second tier are the students that are rarely seen, as they are the advanced group. Higher level students, at least 5 levels above what you are at all times. They usually take care of the big jobs, that need more experienced people to handle.

So, the ages are still young, and the students usually leave after their third year of the Academy to branch out. They often create an adventuring party with fellow students and acquaintances they meet while performing their duties at the academy.

Then there are the trainers. You will meet them at the academy.

jackslate45 said:
Also, which God Listing should we be using?

Standard Pantheon, as it's easier for me to keep track of and it works with the Complete Series, like your requirement to worship Hextor or Heironeous for the Ordained Champion PrC.

Sphyh

First Post
its been a while

well it has been a long time since i have done pbp but im thinking a game would be nice!

hi HM your name is familiar. I believe we have played a few games together. I would love to join if its still possible. Im going to be honest i am somewhat noobish since i have been out for so long but it should come back pretty fast. i see enworld has its own roller system i need to familiarize my self with now lol

i am thinking an elvish ranger with an emphasis in ranged combat. i like the underlying plot idea as well.

Remove ads