• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Storms of Change [IC]

Verbatim

Explorer
Watching as the others launch their arrows at the bird, Dunathar hoped they were all jumping at shadows, but he did have to admit it was odd to see the animal take only a specific set of items.

Placing a bolt into his crossbow and locking it into place, he watched the horizon just to be safe.

Seonaid

Explorer
After watching the arrows fly, Rowyn continues her walk back to camp. When she gets there, she will get out her light crossbow and patrol the perimeter during her watch.

Chaos Apostate

First Post
Alyssa utters a short Elven curse as she watches the Hawk disappear over the cliff. She then resumes her previous position, outwardly unchanged from her behaviour prior to the incident. She is, however, even more alert than previously and she keeps her eyes scanning the horizon and an arrow ready to nock at all times.

mpickett81

First Post
Adromon locks his gaze at the cliff for the moment, angry that the little thief got away and curious as to just what it was doing. He then proceeds back to the camp to join the others in patrol.

GPEKO

First Post
Bert

Filbert will keep looking for any trouble (basically doing his guard duty), after the bird thief incident. He keeps his crossbow at hand.

silentspace

First Post
No more is seen from the hawk, but you assume it is flying along the ravine somewhere.

Manzanita, feeling this is a bad omen, decides to start resting now to get her spells back as soon as possible. She heads down to the inn where she’s less likely to be interrupted.

Darkness falls over the land. Torches are lit around the perimeter of the caravan stop, allowing you to watch for intruders from a distance. The rest of your watch passes uneventfully, and at midnight Darien and the other guards come up to relieve you.

You head sixty feet down the stairs to the Riverfolk Brewery and Inn. The bar is empty except for Stalthas and a few of his employees, mostly dwarves. Dunathar notices that many of the dwarves, including Stalthas, look related. Stalthas gestures and some dwarves come out with some snacks and drinks. Stalthas sits down with you.

“Ey lads! I had a long talk with Darien over dinner. He told me about your run-in with the Red Claw Clan.” Stalthas pulls out a hobgoblin war banner, depicting a bloody red claw against a black field. It’s the same war banner carried by the hobgoblin patrol seen by the first members of the rear guard to join the caravan. You remember Darien’s concerns about how large and powerful the Red Claw Clan had become. And you remember the visit by Valindon, the Vizelan elf war leader, mounted on his giant eagle. The Vizelan elves suspected that the Red Claw Clan was larger and more powerful than even Darien thought, and that they may be allied with, or control, other bands of evil humanoids.

“A hobgoblin raiding party attacked Muck about a couple weeks ago, carrying this banner. Darien said you encountered your hobgoblins several days back. Looks like these hobgoblins cover a pretty large territory. Anyway they traveled on the Krin River, so we weren’t able to track them. But I have a feeling they have a hideout not to far from here. Darien says you lads are heading to Carodan. That's not so far from here. Stop by when you can, eh? Maybe you could help clear out the hobgoblins for us. We're still searching for their base, but I think we'll find 'em sooner or later.”

“These cliffs have quite a few underground tunnels in ‘em, both natural and manmade. The Jangis Empire built a vast network of tunnels along with their roads. Most of them, like the roads, have been abandoned. And among the few who know about the tunnels, most sane folk keep clear. They fear they are connected to deeper and deeper layers, and the vile creatures that lie beneath. Luckily the tunnel networks are sealed off very well. But the parts of the network I've seen are amazing! They actually had an aqueduct running through here! It runs right through the Rillathane Bridge! That’s why me father brought our family here. He was always fascinated by Jangis engineering. Legend has it that the Rillathane bridge, and the walls of Radigan, were made by the ancestors of the Keldric Hall dwarves.”

“When my father arrived a few centuries back the caravan stop was in bad repair. The well wasn’t working. He started tunneling to see what was underneath it. That's when he discovered the tunnels. He got the well working again and built the Riverfolk Brewery here. Farmers bring us their wheat and hops by both boat and wagon. We grind it at the mill, and process it underground. So, what do you think? Tasty, isn't it?

It really is. Looking at the prices on the wall, you see Stalthas' wares are on the inexpensive side, but they taste like higher grade stuff, smooth and rich in flavor and texture.

Last edited:

Seonaid

Explorer
When she is relieved, Rowyn checks on Sabala before heading down to the Inn. Once there, she eats and drinks lightly, listening to Stalthas's commentary, before settling in the common sleeping area (wherever Darien had them quartered). She will pay for whatever she must (i.e., if Darian and/or Stalthas doesn't take up the tab) but will not get anything extra or extravagant.

Dimwhit

Explorer
Aronai will do much the same as Rowyn. He needs to get rest so he can gets his spells back in the morning. He will eat lightly, listen briefly to what Stalthas says, then retire for the night.

Chaos Apostate

First Post
Alyssa listens with interest to Stalthas speech, and then sets to sampling the ale. She eats and drinks well (after all, may as well take the chance while she can get it, and being an elf she doesn't need much rest) and then sits back, still sipping from her mug, and wonders whether she's going to have any company at all.

Verbatim

Explorer
Relaxing as best he can, Dunathar listened as Stalthas explained the history behind his family's establishment.

Feeling a slight bit of envy towards the dwarf, Dunathar tried to push it aside and concentrate on what the dwarf had carefully said, but had not said.

~If we were to find this hideout for him, I'm sure he would be more than willing to make it worth our time, and if we could chart out more of the tunnels for him, I'm sure the same would be true for that as well...~

Finishing his tankard with new found energy, Dunathar could feel the tides of fortune starting to turn his way, but first he had to convince the others it was the right thing for them to do...

Remove ads