• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Stubborn

How stubborn is your group about trying a new game?

• We try new games all the time!

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • We try new games once in a while.

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • We're not against the idea, but don't to it much.

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • My group doesn't like trying new games.

Votes: 13 19.4%
  • My group refuses to play a new game EVER.

Votes: 0 0.0%

CroBob

First Post
So people have made the claim that they have friends, or at least know gamers they game with, who absolutely refuse to ever play anything new. How true has this been for you?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I have been in 2 large gaming groups in my 30+ years in the hobby.

One, in Austin, was centered on D&D, GURPS & HERO, but we tried new RPGs all the time, including some playtests.

The one I'm in now is an extension/expansion/mutation of the one I joined in 1986- the core of which still games together sproadically- which now numbers in the low double digits. For the most part, D&D is the only RPG we play. Most of the campaigns over the years have been in 2Ed and 3Ed/3.5Ed, including 2 on hiatus for the sole 4Ed one. Since 1998, we have had a RIFTS campaign that lasted about half a year and a M&M game that lasted about 4 sessions as the sole breaks in RPGs, interspersed with some board gaming and a bunch of M:tG and Poker.

I couldn't even get the group to try any of the 3.X games. Some in the group do not participate in non-D&D gaming. Some do not participate in 4Ed D&D gaming.

Me? I'll play nearly any RPG at least once, and even like playing 4Ed D&D. Even though I share my fellow group members' opinion that it doesn't have that D&D feel, I think its still a good FRPG.

FickleGM

Explorer
My current groups try new games now and then. When I lived in Wisconsin, I had four groups. My first two groups were D&D groups. That's what they new, that's what they played. I don't even think that other games were even known to them, as they didn't actually go out and buy books or anything, they just had their PHBs and maybe another supplement or two. These two groups did share some players, as the second group spawned from the first.

My third group was made up of my wife, brother-in-law, a couple of my brothers, my oldest daugher and a friend or two. This group tried a new game at times, when I pressed them to do so.

My fourth group was made up of a friend from my first group and two players from his first group. They were, much like my first two groups, D&D gamers, only.

My current groups are much more open to trying new games, and we try a new game every now and then.

Jacob Marley

Adventurer
Very. My primary group plays 3.X Edition D&D. We have done so since 2004 when we converted our game from 1st Edition D&D; which had been played since the early 80s. There is no desire amongst the players to try another system. The reasons are: Time + Money + Experience + Satisfaction.

Time - Learning a new system takes time; mastering a system takes even longer. Between family (all but one of us is married with kids), work (two of us are self-employed), and other hobbies, there just is not a whole lot of time to devote to learning a new system, let alone many new systems.

Money - New games compete for a limited number of dollars in the budget.

Experience - We have played 3.X for nearly nine years now; 1st Edition for even longer. We have developed a deep knowledge of the system, and how to use it and bend it to fit our needs. Experience with 1st/3.X Edition that may not transfer to a new system.

Satisfaction - Quite frankly, there is a high degree of satisfaction with what we are currently doing.

It is unlikely that any increase in satisfaction from what we are currently doing will offset the costs in time, money, and experience that we will incur. It is not an issue of being stubborn (as your title suggests), but of a rational cost to benefit analysis.

CroBob

First Post
That's fair. At the same time, however, if someone in the group had the rules with them for a new game and suggested trying it one weekend instead of D&D, would everyone outright refuse?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
On my group, probably.

I've got a wall of RPGs...virtually zero interest. The only reason we have a 4Ed game going is that a new guy joined the group and wanted to DM it...and the guy running the 3.5Ed game needed a break. AND he bought a DDI account for the others to make their characters.

(I bought the books.)

Last edited:

Dice4Hire

First Post
With my group it is 99% D&D, with occasional, very occasional short campaigns in other systems.

We all like fantasy best, and are very familiar with it.

But I would not say stubborn, at least for what system we play. How some players play it is stubborn though.

Ahnehnois

First Post
I'd say once in a while. There's certainly no impetus to move away from D&D, but we'll trade around DMing responsibilities and try a new game occasionally for a short run.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
That's fair. At the same time, however, if someone in the group had the rules with them for a new game and suggested trying it one weekend instead of D&D, would everyone outright refuse?

My folks are stubborn, insofar as they are currently playing a campaign. The do *not* want to substitute another game in for their campaign time. They do not want to break off the current campaign to try out new rules, either.

On the other hand, they are not stubborn, in that when I proposed the campaign with a rule set none of them had played before, none of them so much as batted an eye.

So, basically, they're all quite willing to try out new games, but not at the expense of a game already running.

Remove ads