Super Hero rpg: checking interest

fireinthedust

Explorer
Here's the link: http://www.composedreamgames.com/downloads.htm] one page rules [/url]

I've checked it out. Very freeform, very straight to the point. We'll be able to focus on story, as long as everyone keeps posting.

Speaking of which: Thondor said they're very open in terms of settings. PirateCat pointed out that having a very strong theme was helpful for his golden age game (ie: very golden age, flashy costumes, vaguely ludicrous villains, no death, set in sort-of 1939).

So: assuming Thondor is acceptable, I would like to suggest we settle on thematic elements. I'm going to list my suggestions, and I suggest everyone does the same (note: suggest, as I'm just a player, too), and we pick out the preferrred suggestions.

1) Strong super hero theme: cliches, costumes, hero names, in a clearly super hero world. Whether we go Young Justice (realistic/serious) or go totally Superfriends, at least we'll have a solid foundation to build off.

2) Good guys and bad guys: I'd like a hero league and a villain guild, even if they're loosely affiliated. Lines can blur, or not.

3) No killer heroes: This isn't D&D, no shooting minions. I'd say that if any of us kills someone, it should be an accident or a major dramatic turn. Otherwise we'd go all Deadpool/Punisher. Bad guys can be villainous, but not heroes. Angst, sure, tempted definitely, but not every problem can be solved with a cold-blooded disembowelment or even a tearful bullet.

Setting: Shall we go with "the City"? Or are we like Young Justice where we go to wherever worldwide troubles are? Future mega-city, or the present? Or a specific real-world city, like Toronto?

Characters: Any suggestions?

tunafish

First Post
Using "Supers", the rpg, should be on the table. Rules-lite fits PbP.

Takes a talented GM to run M&M. I know, because I run M&M games on other sites. Takes being able to say "No" in clever language that suggests alternatives, or you lose the Player.

Mutants & Masterminds is tricky. Especially with "Ron Jeremy-tricky" Players like me on the Webnet. We do things that make people like Jemal cringe ...........

Give your prospective GM options, like Supers, Truth & Justice, Capes, ect.

Last edited:

fireinthedust

Explorer
Do you have a link to the Supers RPG rules?

I've only got M&M 1-3, and Marvel Heroic Roleplaying; and the link above, so I guess I can figure that out, too. It'll depend on what the GM is willing to run. I find M&M is robust but very involved char gen for NPCs (having a strong network of fan creations is a help, though).

We've had the offer of a GM by the Superheroes Unleashed, and they may have written the rules themselves, which would be neat (support them creative types, I say)

Any other offers?

Jemal

Adventurer
Hate to break it to you tunafish, but those 'tricks' aren't exactly new. Most of the people I know have just discovered them and wrote them off as loophole-cheese within an hour or so of learning the system.
It's common to every gaming system, and very prevalent in point-based ones. We actually quite enjoy one-upping each other by seeing who can find the worst loopholes in a new system the quickest. I've got dozens of cheesey builds that I made for fun.. MAKING them is a great mental exercise and can be quite entertaining.
The only thing I'd find remotely 'cringe worthy' about such 'tricks' is attempting to use them in a Real game. Mostly I just find that boring and unimaginative. Can =/= Should.

I'd also like to point out that considering many of the characters I have purposefully kept toned-down tend to get me called a power gamer and god-awful twink, and the fact you seem proud that I think your tricks are exploitative... well, that doesn't seem to bode well.

Last edited:

fireinthedust

Explorer
Takes a talented GM to run M&M. I know, because I run M&M games on other sites. Takes being able to say "No" in clever language that suggests alternatives, or you lose the Player.

Mutants & Masterminds is tricky. Especially with "Ron Jeremy-tricky" Players like me on the Webnet. We do things that make people like Jemal cringe ...........

That, btw, is why I have issues playing M*M. I just want a supers game, not a pissing contest, and it's so easy for people to make their characters invulnerable (read: unchallengeable/un fun to be around). Great system, some amazing players, wish they'd find me and let me join.

Thondor

I run Compose Dream Games RPG Marketplace
We've had the offer of a GM by the Superheroes Unleashed, and they may have written the rules themselves, which would be neat (support them creative types, I say)

I would be quite happy to run Superheroes Unleashed. (Yes I am the designer - support appreciated.)

Easter is a very busy time for me. But I will follow up more soon. I'd like to get more of a sense of what kind of "Universe" people want to play in terms of setting/themes/tropes.

I strongly endorse Fireinthdusts #3 above. Heroes save people, they don't kill them.

fireinthedust

Explorer
Mmm, tough call...

Tropes: many classic tropes, whether done campy or serious: monkeys, giant brains, monkeys with giant brains, death rays, super science, armies of expendable henchmen, rival villain gang (evil opposites, or versions of classic villains/heroes), "The City"; Hero HQ is a must, secret identities, and everyone has to have a costume and hero identity. Cliches done proudly, unabashedly, though a twist for fun is good.

Tone: campy veneer with serious undertones/edge? I'm okay with "The Incredibles", or "Young Justice", "Justice League/Unlimited", "Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes", as great examples of what would be cool.

Setting: Super science, and based on the real world, though cities can be called by different names if desired.

Method: I'm a grown man and very supportive of GMs, so please don't run a rail road. I can take blunt "this is the mission", but I want to know that the outcome of my actions is determined for me; I've had GMs power trip like that and it erodes good will and fun.

Themes: "All for one and one for all", "the whole is greater than the sum of its parts", "not might *is* right, but might *for* right".

Remove ads