• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Super Hero rpg: checking interest

fireinthedust

Explorer
Here's the link: http://www.composedreamgames.com/downloads.htm] one page rules [/url]

I've checked it out. Very freeform, very straight to the point. We'll be able to focus on story, as long as everyone keeps posting.

Speaking of which: Thondor said they're very open in terms of settings. PirateCat pointed out that having a very strong theme was helpful for his golden age game (ie: very golden age, flashy costumes, vaguely ludicrous villains, no death, set in sort-of 1939).

So: assuming Thondor is acceptable, I would like to suggest we settle on thematic elements. I'm going to list my suggestions, and I suggest everyone does the same (note: suggest, as I'm just a player, too), and we pick out the preferrred suggestions.

1) Strong super hero theme: cliches, costumes, hero names, in a clearly super hero world. Whether we go Young Justice (realistic/serious) or go totally Superfriends, at least we'll have a solid foundation to build off.

2) Good guys and bad guys: I'd like a hero league and a villain guild, even if they're loosely affiliated. Lines can blur, or not.

3) No killer heroes: This isn't D&D, no shooting minions. I'd say that if any of us kills someone, it should be an accident or a major dramatic turn. Otherwise we'd go all Deadpool/Punisher. Bad guys can be villainous, but not heroes. Angst, sure, tempted definitely, but not every problem can be solved with a cold-blooded disembowelment or even a tearful bullet.

Setting: Shall we go with "the City"? Or are we like Young Justice where we go to wherever worldwide troubles are? Future mega-city, or the present? Or a specific real-world city, like Toronto?

Characters: Any suggestions?

tunafish

First Post
Using "Supers", the rpg, should be on the table. Rules-lite fits PbP.

Takes a talented GM to run M&M. I know, because I run M&M games on other sites. Takes being able to say "No" in clever language that suggests alternatives, or you lose the Player.

Mutants & Masterminds is tricky. Especially with "Ron Jeremy-tricky" Players like me on the Webnet. We do things that make people like Jemal cringe ...........

Give your prospective GM options, like Supers, Truth & Justice, Capes, ect.

Last edited:

fireinthedust

Explorer
Do you have a link to the Supers RPG rules?

I've only got M&M 1-3, and Marvel Heroic Roleplaying; and the link above, so I guess I can figure that out, too. It'll depend on what the GM is willing to run. I find M&M is robust but very involved char gen for NPCs (having a strong network of fan creations is a help, though).

We've had the offer of a GM by the Superheroes Unleashed, and they may have written the rules themselves, which would be neat (support them creative types, I say)

Any other offers?

Jemal

Adventurer
Hate to break it to you tunafish, but those 'tricks' aren't exactly new. Most of the people I know have just discovered them and wrote them off as loophole-cheese within an hour or so of learning the system.
It's common to every gaming system, and very prevalent in point-based ones. We actually quite enjoy one-upping each other by seeing who can find the worst loopholes in a new system the quickest. I've got dozens of cheesey builds that I made for fun.. MAKING them is a great mental exercise and can be quite entertaining.
The only thing I'd find remotely 'cringe worthy' about such 'tricks' is attempting to use them in a Real game. Mostly I just find that boring and unimaginative. Can =/= Should.

I'd also like to point out that considering many of the characters I have purposefully kept toned-down tend to get me called a power gamer and god-awful twink, and the fact you seem proud that I think your tricks are exploitative... well, that doesn't seem to bode well.

Last edited:

fireinthedust

Explorer
Takes a talented GM to run M&M. I know, because I run M&M games on other sites. Takes being able to say "No" in clever language that suggests alternatives, or you lose the Player.

Mutants & Masterminds is tricky. Especially with "Ron Jeremy-tricky" Players like me on the Webnet. We do things that make people like Jemal cringe ...........

That, btw, is why I have issues playing M*M. I just want a supers game, not a pissing contest, and it's so easy for people to make their characters invulnerable (read: unchallengeable/un fun to be around). Great system, some amazing players, wish they'd find me and let me join.

Thondor

I run Compose Dream Games RPG Marketplace
We've had the offer of a GM by the Superheroes Unleashed, and they may have written the rules themselves, which would be neat (support them creative types, I say)

I would be quite happy to run Superheroes Unleashed. (Yes I am the designer - support appreciated.)

Easter is a very busy time for me. But I will follow up more soon. I'd like to get more of a sense of what kind of "Universe" people want to play in terms of setting/themes/tropes.

I strongly endorse Fireinthdusts #3 above. Heroes save people, they don't kill them.

fireinthedust

Explorer
Mmm, tough call...

Tropes: many classic tropes, whether done campy or serious: monkeys, giant brains, monkeys with giant brains, death rays, super science, armies of expendable henchmen, rival villain gang (evil opposites, or versions of classic villains/heroes), "The City"; Hero HQ is a must, secret identities, and everyone has to have a costume and hero identity. Cliches done proudly, unabashedly, though a twist for fun is good.

Tone: campy veneer with serious undertones/edge? I'm okay with "The Incredibles", or "Young Justice", "Justice League/Unlimited", "Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes", as great examples of what would be cool.

Setting: Super science, and based on the real world, though cities can be called by different names if desired.

Method: I'm a grown man and very supportive of GMs, so please don't run a rail road. I can take blunt "this is the mission", but I want to know that the outcome of my actions is determined for me; I've had GMs power trip like that and it erodes good will and fun.

Themes: "All for one and one for all", "the whole is greater than the sum of its parts", "not might *is* right, but might *for* right".

Remove ads