Super Hero rpg: checking interest

Thondor

I run Compose Dream Games RPG Marketplace
Neat concept Fireinthedust. You may not be able to realize all these ideas as a 'starting character.' The system is built with lots of room for characters to grow. (You may not want to start with flying monkeys for example). But we can get into the particulars later.
I plan on launching a new thread in a few days when I have figured out some Universe details.

Testing some die rolling

Pacifiers metal skin Gunman's attack (4d6.hits(3)=1, 2d6.hits(3)=0)

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4002558/

Die roll for Superheroes Unleashed
Campaign: Superheroes UnleashedRolled on: April 1, 2013, 12:17 p.m.
4d6.hits(3);2d6.hits(3) → [6,2,1,2] = (1)
4d6.hits(3);2d6.hits(3) → [2,1] = (0)

Pacifiers metal skin vs Gunman's attack

[link to roll] [link to character]

Hmm not really ideal, lets try:

embed

test metal skin (1d6=3, 1d6=2, 1d6=1, 1d6=6)

Whatever happened to the old 'spoiler' tags?

Hmmm results inconclusive. Ideal scenario be able to roll X d6 and arrange in order, showing each die's value. Wish the Enworld die roller was still around.

Jemal

Adventurer
do you mean [sblock=these]
use sblock to start and /sblock to end (With the [] encasing the word.
[/sblock]

Also fireinthedust - Edna Mode, not mole. :p

fireinthedust

Explorer
sweet! Yeah, I think I'll start with what he'd carry around on the actual adventures (the monkeys are likely just decoration in his lai-- err, heroic base... I see them as quasi-useful lab technicians and servants, not tag-a-long minions). I also drew for a bit, and I'm not much more awful than I used to be, but it's likely best I pause that before the hand falls off.

So: Iron man armor, Reed Richards' brain, plus morphic form (stretchy, amorphous liquid body, healing factor), and the complication that if he doesn't have a "coherence field" on him, he goes all "morphic form" (could be insane when in that form).

Not sure if I'll play him super maniacal, but good for the comedic relief.

Thondor

[Sblock=Jemal] Thanks:) [/Sblock]

Yarko the Great sounds pretty cool.
Hi-tech characters and Mystics actually have some things in common in terms of mechanics. This is because they are both extremely flexible. Yarko seems to have the ability to cast almost anything, which is fine.
Mechanically you need to have two talents to do this. One sets the Potency, indicated with a [P], and the other sets the Time [T] required for you to build the item or cast the spell. You get to roll the Potency -1 dice for the item or spell.
You could have a character using this sort of mechanic with the following two Talents Brains 4- inventor [P] and Brains 3- advanced tools [T].

If anyone happens to have ISSUE 0 this is discussed on p35. The example character on the website, Tesla (she's also on p.50), is an "I can build that" inventor like this.

Are there other ways to handle this? Yes, particularly if you want to introduce more limitations.

Jemal

Adventurer
Still trying to figure out how this works - Is it as open-ended as the short rules seems to imply, and how much interaction should there be between GM-player or between players for character creation? Does the actual book use a lot of examples/archetypes or is it as free-reign as the short rules? (I've got a thing about not buying rulebooks until I've tried and liked the system.)

For example, I want my character to have a power that represents an animeish/Megaman-X style of movement - occasional quick dashes, increased(But not overly superhuman) leaping, ability to bounce/jump off vertical surfaces or use them to slow a fall (wall jump). Basically a super-powered version of Parkour. Would that be acceptable as a 2 pt talent? I can't see myself devoting a larger talent or multiple talents for what is essentially a descriptive movement mode.

Thondor

Still trying to figure out how this works - Is it as open-ended as the short rules seems to imply, and how much interaction should there be between GM-player or between players for character creation? Does the actual book use a lot of examples/archetypes or is it as free-reign as the short rules? (I've got a thing about not buying rulebooks until I've tried and liked the system.)

Their is a lot of added nuance and examples in the rulebook, that being said there it is also very open-ended.
There should be a pretty high degree of interaction with the GM during character creation. This helps ensure that we are all on the same page about what a particular talent can do.

For example, I want my character to have a power that represents an animeish/Megaman-X style of movement - occasional quick dashes, increased(But not overly superhuman) leaping, ability to bounce/jump off vertical surfaces or use them to slow a fall (wall jump). Basically a super-powered version of Parkour. Would that be acceptable as a 2 pt talent? I can't see myself devoting a larger talent or multiple talents for what is essentially a descriptive movement mode.

I have had more than one character take a 'parkour' talent in the past. There are 3 things I would keep in mind - what a rank 2 means, 'specific trumps generic' and the Pooling rules.
Rank 2
Olympic level - you can parkour with the best of humans. But you can't do anything that is obviously implausible (unless you use strain.)
Specific Trumps generic
Someone (lets call him Fleet-foot) who takes Mobility 2- run [F] will be faster than you. If Fleet-foot takes Mobility 2- jump [F] he will be able to jump higher and farther than you. But in both cases not by much, but it will show in the long run. If you were chasing someone with both talents over difficult (parkourable) terrain you'd be pretty even -- but see pooling.
Pooling
Pooling allows you to combine related talents for a roll (Talent rank + Talent rank -#talents beyond one), limited to once per set per confrontation. Meaning Fleet-foot could pool jump and run once while you were chasing him (2+2 -1).
Your character might use parkour and pool it with a 3- dodge [D] talent. Fleet-foot could pool jump with dodge one round, and run with dodge the next, or he could pool all three once (2+2+3 -2)

Hope that helps.

fireinthedust

Explorer
I'm buying it, as I figure this may be my only time playing this game... and I've bought a lot of 4e and Eberron stuff no one will ever make use of in a game I can play in... And who knows, I could figure out a great way to cheat! (kidding, I'm a by-the-book kind of person)

I want to give Talents that are useful, not just descriptive. No point putting 4 dice into Brains (super genius) if I can't roll for that; better, perhaps, to put Brains (computer use (f)), and just say he's really smart.

That said, what kinds of things would Iron Man have? Or Mr. Fantastic, were he in such a suit?

fireinthedust

Explorer
Got it, digesting. Write up when not on ipad.

like much of it, but have thoughts from attempt at own supers system; different rules premises, but enough to know I like a lot of what you've done.

Jemal

Adventurer
[MENTION=51930]fireinthedust[/MENTION] If it works like I'm guessing, you COULD use your 'brainpower' for a lot of rolls. It seems much like the Marvel Heroes RPG.. You need to be imaginative and descriptive - If you can explain HOW you use a specific power in a situation, you can roll it.
For example, I would call Super Intelligence a Reactive Brains talent, and apply it to a lot of different situations:

Two examples defensive and offensive.
Situation A : You're opponent flings a massive fireball at you, you describe your character doing some quick thinking, seeing a pond nearby, and leaping into the pond.
Situation B : Using your super-intelligence, you deduce that your opponent - "Electric-Dude" may be shorted out by water, and so you figure out how to set off the buildings sprinkler system. (An attack)

*EDIT: And yes I realize neither of those are really 'super' intelligence, I just wanted some quick examples.

[MENTION=31955]Thondor[/MENTION] - Exactly what I was thinking. Also, if the Power description DOES work as I suggested to Fire above, would said power be usable for non-mobility purposes? Such as defensively, or pooling with an attack to represent tricky martial arts/cool mobile fighting? If so, I may indeed take it at a higher rank after all now that I've thought more no the subject.

Last edited:

Remove ads