• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Superhero RPG

GreatLemur

Explorer
Kheti sa-Menik said:
M&M is clumsy.

Go with D20 Modern plus Blood and Vigilance by Charles Rice. It's all you need to run superheroes of any power level.
You're advocating a class-based system for the superhero genre? Exactly what is your definition of clumsy?

Kheti sa-Menik

First Post
Please. There's certainly no more advantage to point buy vs class based for superhero genre anymore than any other genre. Class-based mechanics can function as well or better in any genre than point buy. I ran a moderately successful superhero campaign with D20 Modern for a good lone while. (I only say moderately successful because of a bit of player conflict, unrelated to mechanics.)

GreatLemur

Explorer
Kheti sa-Menik said:
Please. There's certainly no more advantage to point buy vs class based for superhero genre anymore than any other genre. Class-based mechanics can function as well or better in any genre than point buy.
I generally consider the primary mechanical requirement of of superhero games to be flexibility in character generation. Class-based systems, by definition, are less flexible than point-based systems. They've got their strengths, definitely--such as ease of character generation, and much more reliable benchmarking of character capabilities--but for this specific genre, flexibility comes first, in my book.

Jack of Shadows

First Post
Well,

I'd also have to say that Mutants and Masterminds is the way to go. Be ready for a change of paradigm though if you're coming from V&V and Marvel Superheroes. Effects based systems can be a little daunting at first. Once you get a handle on them though you'll wonder why you ever used anything else.

Jack

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Count me in as another vote for M&M!

And I like d20 Modern. I just don't feel it's what people are usually looking for in a superheros game.

Crothian

First Post
M&M is really good. If you want something a little bit more simple I'd go with Truth and Justice.

Last edited:

Remove ads