Survivor Appendix E (5e) Authors- Ursula K. LeGWINS!

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
Mistborn is where I started, on audible, and I have proceeded to collect every one of his Cosmere books on Audible. Got the last one just last month. I highly recommend listening to the whole series. If by "Bounced off of" means you didn't get far it, trust me, it'll hook you and pull you all the way through. And I haven't read a climactic ending like Mistborn's first trilogy's ending in book 3. It is just absolutely astounding.
If you like it, pick up Mistborn again. Read all of them.

I hated what he did to one of the characters for the bulk of book three, but my god the payoff for it was everything. I hesitate to recommend the first Mistborn trilogy because book 2 gets a little soap-opera-y and book 3 can become a bit of a slog at times depending on what subplot you're following but if you can get through it, yeah, I cannot talk up enough how fantastic the ending to the trilogy is. And it builds upon everything leading up to it, including the frustrating and/or boring. The characters are pretty great throughout though, even if one of the characters turns into an obnoxious strawman in the third book.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
Ahmed, Saladin 18
Alexander, Lloyd 25 - Skipping an upvote day because I was reminded of Taran Wanderer, a dreary slog in an otherwise quick-paced and enjoyable series. I suppose every big series has to have a "bad" book; The Silver Chair, A Dance with Dragons, Books 8 through... what, 10 of Wheel of Time? At least Brooks got his out of the way first.
Anthony, Piers 12
Augusta, Lady Gregory 20
Bear, Elizabeth 20
Brooks, Terry 20 - I loved the Heritage of Shannara series; especially the middle two books (Druid & Elf Queen), which were both more horror than they were fantasy (but in very different ways from each other!). If the derivative-ness of Sword of Shannara turned you off give some of his later stuff a read; Elfstones is great and Wishsong is highly underrated.
Bulfinch, Thomas 23
Cook, Glen 28
Froud, Brian & Alan Lee 21
Hickman, Tracy & Margaret Weis 7
Hodgson, William Hope 18
Jemisin, N.K. 21
Jordan, Robert 19
Kay, Guy Gavriel 21
LeGuin, Ursula 25
Lynch, Scott 22
McKillip, Patricia 22
Mieville, China 14
Peake, Mervyn 21
Pratchett, Terry 24
Sanderson, Brandon 26
Smith, Clark Ashton 21
Tolstoy, Nikolai 8 - Another couple of downvotes for a racist
Wolfe, Gene 22

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
I hated what he did to one of the characters for the bulk of book three, but my god the payoff for it was everything. I hesitate to recommend the first Mistborn trilogy because book 2 gets a little soap-opera-y and book 3 can become a bit of a slog at times depending on what subplot you're following but if you can get through it, yeah, I cannot talk up enough how fantastic the ending to the trilogy is. And it builds upon everything leading up to it, including the frustrating and/or boring. The characters are pretty great throughout though, even if one of the characters turns into an obnoxious strawman in the third book.

I never saw a fantasy series wrap up as neatly as mistborn did. It was very satisfying.

However I won't be voting for Sanderson in this thread.

His magic systems are far too neat, balanced, and well thought out for D&D

:D

GreyLord

Legend
I never saw a fantasy series wrap up as neatly as mistborn did. It was very satisfying.

However I won't be voting for Sanderson in this thread.

His magic systems are far too neat, balanced, and well thought out for D&D

:D

I probably won't vote for Sanderson either (most likely against)...BUT, something to add in his favor. He IS a D&D player from what I understand and occasionally plays (or more often or less) at his local FLGS.

Ahmed, Saladin 18
Alexander, Lloyd 25
Anthony, Piers 12
Augusta, Lady Gregory 20
Bear, Elizabeth 20
Brooks, Terry 20
Bulfinch, Thomas 23
Cook, Glen 28 - 2 = 26
Hodgson, William Hope 18
Jemisin, N.K. 21
Jordan, Robert 19
Kay, Guy Gavriel 21 + 1 = 22
LeGuin, Ursula 25
Lynch, Scott 22
McKillip, Patricia 22
Mieville, China 14
Peake, Mervyn 21
Pratchett, Terry 24
Sanderson, Brandon 26
Smith, Clark Ashton 21
Tolstoy, Nikolai 8
Wolfe, Gene 22

Dausuul

Legend
Talented professionals aren’t considered good for starting things. They are considered good for finishing them.
In the immortal words of the Prophet Chuck: "Endings are hard. Any chapped-a** monkey with a keyboard can poop out a beginning, but endings are impossible."

squibbles

Adventurer
Ahmed, Saladin 18
Alexander, Lloyd 25
Anthony, Piers 12
Augusta, Lady Gregory 20
Bear, Elizabeth 20
Brooks, Terry 20
Bulfinch, Thomas 23
Cook, Glen 26
Hodgson, William Hope 18
Jemisin, N.K. 21
Jordan, Robert 19-2=17 --after George RR Martin, one of the world's leading purveyors of books that are also doorstops
Kay, Guy Gavriel 22
LeGuin, Ursula 25
Lynch, Scott 22
McKillip, Patricia 22
Mieville, China 14
Peake, Mervyn 21
Pratchett, Terry 24
Sanderson, Brandon 26
Smith, Clark Ashton 21+1=22 --it's criminal that he wasn't in Appendix N with Howard and Lovecraft
Tolstoy, Nikolai 8
Wolfe, Gene 22

Remove ads