Suspension of disbelief and education

The Soloist

Adventurer
It depends more on personal preferences than education. I'm willing to ignore far more jarring stuff in series and movies I like than those I don't like.

I let slide a lot of stuff in James Bond movies that I do not for Jason Born and Mission Impossible. Many things make no sense in Star Wars but I let them slide, in Star Trek, I just can't.

Last edited:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
2. Why bipeds instead of planes or tanks?

The thing is, the forcefield has to be a complete shell, and it's almost entirely frictionless and non-permeable. It can flex a little bit like if you're moving joints, but if you put a forcefield on a tank, it can't get traction to drive.

Um... you can't walk on two legs without friction.

Go search youtube for people slipping on ice if you don't believe me.

And, ultimately, this is the sort of thing that generates most of my nitpicks - attempts to justify something as realistic that are blatantly incorrect, and would be known to be so with a minimum of effort.

As someone highly educated in the mechanics of the universe, I don't mind telekinetic space wizards with laser swords. I don't mind FTL spaceships that have engines stuck way out on pylons distant from the center of mass of the ship. I don't mind time travel, I don't mind bigfoot, or aliens sneaking around on Earth doing battle with ancient lizard people native to Earth that we don't know about. I don't mind giant transforming robots or mechas with little concern with the size/mass differences between forms.

I mind them putting in details to justify all that, and getting those details wrong. Doubly so when those details are not plot relevant.

Authors, please - if we are so dumb that we can be fobbed off with lazy explanation, we don't actually need the explanation. If you are going to try to explain it, have the honor to research the point to know if what you're saying is even vaguely correct.

Last edited:

Ryujin

Legend

And, ultimately, this is the sort of thing that generates most of my nitpicks - attempts to justify something as realistic that are blatantly incorrect, and would be known to be so with a minimum of effort.

As someone highly educated in the mechanics of the universe, I don't mind telekinetic space wizards with laser swords. I don't mind FTL spaceships that have engines stuck way out on pylons distant from the center of mass of the ship. I don't mind time travel, I don't mind bigfoot, or aliens sneaking around on Earth doing battle with ancient lizard people native to Earth that we don't know about. I don't mind giant transforming robots or mechas with little concern with the size/mass differences between forms.

I mind them putting in details to justify all that, and getting those details wrong. Doubly so when those details are not plot relevant.

Authors, please - if we are so dumb that we can be fobbed of with lazy explanation, we don't actually need the explanation. If you are going to try to explain it, have the honor to research the point to know if what you're saying is even vaguely correct.
My brain glitches almost every time I see a less than 200 pound biped as the centre of mass, swinging a 50 ton object.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Sometimes, I find it's born out of frustration. For example, I can overlook a little bit of time/space idiocy when it serves the plot, but sometimes (JJ Abrams, I'm looking at you), there's simply too much piled on. As much as I like aspects of Star Trek Into Darkness and Star Wars: The Force Awakens, both involve an abysmal understanding of the vast differences involved in space that really draw me out of my suspension of disbelief when they really abuse it.

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!

Authors, please - if we are so dumb that we can be fobbed of with lazy explanation, we don't actually need the explanation. If you are going to try to explain it, have the honor to research the point to know if what you're saying is even vaguely correct.
I prefer to just not know and fill in details myself if I must—or just be so dazzled I don’t take the time to think it through.

the Jester

Legend
Hmm.

My willingness to suspend my disbelief is about the same as it was when I was in 6th grade (about 10 years old). Though I guess I am less forgiving of crappy stories than I was, but I just think that's a matter of having more discriminating taste rather than more education.

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
Hmm.

My willingness to suspend my disbelief is about the same as it was when I was in 6th grade (about 10 years old). Though I guess I am less forgiving of crappy stories than I was, but I just think that's a matter of having more discriminating taste rather than more education.
I have a harder time with human behavior. When people do things that don’t match their character’s precedent in the sort or really defy most human tendencies I have a hard time…

My bad. I chose a bad term because there is not, to my knowledge, a word that quite captures what I have in mind.

I meant that the object producing the forcefield cannot use friction from inside the field to rotate the exterior of the field.

The forcefield's exterior is sort of 'grippy.' If a globe had a forcefield, and its axis was pointed directly upward, and you dropped a pancake on the top of the axis, it would sit there (and slowly cook), not slide off.

The thing is, the orientation of the object inside the forcefield doesn't rotate the forcefield itself. If you tilted the globe so its axis pointed horizontally, the forcefield doesn't move. The pancake stays on top.

Similarly, if you had a wheel with a forcefield, spinning the wheel would not cause it to move along the ground. It would just be spinning inside the forcefield, never quite contacting the surface below it, even while the forcefield itself is keeping the object in place with some friction.

Now, the forcefield keeps matter from coming in, but will let matter out, so if the globe with a pancake on top had, like, a thruster, it could shoot and push itself. And if the globe moved fast enough, inertia could cause the pancake to be dislodged as the globe sped away.

Imagine the object was not radially symmetrical, but say it was T-shaped, with a thruster pointing out from the bottom and from each end of the the T, and with a gyroscope to stabilize it. If you had the T standing upright and it fired the bottom thruster, it could hop up, then fall back down, and could use its gyroscope to ensure it landed upright again. If it while standing on a surface it fired the left thruster, it would just teeter, and then gravity would cause it to fall over. But if it launched up, then fired a lateral thruster, it would start to fall, but could then fire its bottom thruster, then use the right thruster to turn it facing back upright, letting it land on its foot.

So it's possible to maneuver with reaction thrust. But you only have finite fuel for that (and thrusters produce a lot of heat). It's not efficient for a ground vehicle.

But if you have a biped, what it can do is lift a leg, extend the leg, and let gravity cause it to teeter. Then it catches itself on the leg, and lets momentum carry it forward so it can repeat the process with the other leg. The grippiness of the forcefield lets the mech step on the ground and keep its balance. And using gears and gyros inside the object to shift its center of gravity and to push off from the ground is more reusable than thrusters.

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I have a harder time with human behavior. When people do things that don’t match their character’s precedent in the sort or really defy most human tendencies I have a hard time…
THERE’S my quibble!

I was enjoying Death Note until the lead detective followed the clues with impeccable logic…until it implicated someone he knew.

Not that that doesn’t happen, but it kept happening!

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I prefer to just not know and fill in details myself if I must—or just be so dazzled I don’t take the time to think it through.

For games, one important bit is to realize that unless we intend to use these details in game play, the explanation is extraneous. Similarly, if the factoid isn't going to be used by the characters to impact the plot, it could be removed without harming the narrative.

Remove ads