Swamp Trek III: The Search for Ter-raen

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
OOC: i see 5 crowns worth of spice and 5 crowns of fish hooks, a short bow and arrows, and a long spear. do i translate the "Gildrim speak" correctly?

Who is Rurik Drewer? Can he make MWK studded leather? If so, I think that it might be good for karl to make a quick purchase of that. He may follow you there.

I agree with the 'quick and dirty' purchases.

Trouvere

Explorer
OOC: Gildrimese, or Gildrese. "Ootreik" is "equip", c.f. "rig out". You read the list correctly. Rurik Drewer is the NPC dwarven smith whose establishment is on the north side of the Red Dragon Square, near Edwyd's Victuals. If he doesn't have MW studded leather, I'm sure some equally anonymous NPC will.

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
Karl Will follow Gildri. to the armorer, seeing as he has not been aboe to look into the cost of the mithral chain shirt he has been wanting. 'Oh well. For now it should do me better then normal stuff.' he thinks to himself.

Richard Rawen

First Post
A thought strikes him. "Ah'm noo yer leader," he says. "Ah'm comin' alang tae fetch some corpse, an' Ah'll gie whit advisement Ah can. But Ah'm nae workin' for Maister Thorne noo. Sae dae whit ye think's best."[sblock=OOC]Doesn't look as though Bront is still LEW-active, so I'll just get MW full plate and a MW greatsword from an NPC. Shall we skip ahead past preparations to the journey?[/sblock]
[sblock=Before we run off to the swamps!]We do need to remember that Gildrim narrowly escaped a TPK.
Richard has an adventuring companion that should still be around the RDI that can wand-heal, track and stealth... and beat on things! Shall I run back and check on availability of Rinya or another to join us?
Richard is a Fighter 4 (just shy of 5th)
Gildrim a Bard 3 / Fighter 1
Karl a Rogue 2 (Sorry, information gatherer...)
Weel a Cleric 1 (a bit short on healing power, nothing personal, just crunching numbers...)
Maybe adding another 'fighter type' wouldn't be the best option, especially if a full fledged Cleric around 3rd - 4th level is available... but Rinya can wand-heal so ... what say the group?[/sblock]

Trouvere

Explorer
[sblock=OOC, don't read if metagaming irritates!]It was a near TPK because in opening the crypt door we got ourselves on the wrong side of a pit, from where the troll skeleton could hit us but we couldn't reach it, after poor initiative rolls so there were wolf skeletons blocking our retreat. Ter-raen lingered too long without beginning to 5'-sidle out of the way, by which time it was too late for him.

As an inveterate metagamer, I've run the numbers on the skeletal troll. Self-buffed with Protection from Evil and inspire courage +1, Gildrim would have a 22% chance of winning toe-to-toe alone. With a Shield of Faith from Weel, that increases to 48.5%. Richard, fully buffed by Gildrim and Weel, 53.8%. I think that working together, on the right side of the pit, using Hide from Undead to let our buffed beatstick get inside its reach initially, and opening with a barrage of holy water, we shouldn't have too much trouble.

Oh yeah, holy water. We still haven't bought it. Let's not forget it.

Rinya would be an interesting addition, considering Gildrim's issues with elves. But Heckler hasn't been online in nearly 6 months. Besides, Gildrim has Track and his Survival skill above ground is as good as Rinya's. He and of course Weel can use heal-sticks... and there is, or was, one left lying in the crypt. Gildrim is a surprisingly good fighter, for a bard - if he and Richard sparred, Richard would win 51.7% of the time. If they came to blows over Gildrim's singing, Gildrim's chance of winning would be a creditable 60.4%.

Of other RDI occupants: Kurhahz is probably out, I think, since P8 is 4e-ing, and a 5th level cleric would overshadow Weel anyway; Nurlan is another Bard/Fighter (and I think 1st and 6th level PCs in the same party might be stretching the range a little); the party would probably do better with Conuld instead of Gildrim, though![/sblock]

Trouvere

Explorer
On the way to Rurik Drewer's, Gildrim turns aside into the establishment named Gontor's Fine Jewelry, at the foot of Rilithorne's tower. He returns looking astonished.

"Ah'm dumfoondert... but ye cannae argie wi' th' experteese ay a dwairrf. E'en if he's lost his accent."[sblock=OOC]If Gildrim is that rich, then can Rurik provide him with +1 full plate and a +1 greatsword?[/sblock]

covaithe

Explorer
[sblock=OOC]
Trouvere said:
If Gildrim is that rich, then can Rurik provide him with +1 full plate and a +1 greatsword?

Short answer: I don't see why not.

Long answer: I have no idea whether it's been established that Rurik can make magic arms and armor, but presumably, even if he can't, there's some other NPC kicking around who will take your money and magic up your stuff. I suppose if I wanted to be a pain in the butt about it I could make you wait X days of in-game time for the NPC to do the crafting, but I can't even be bothered to look up how many days that is.

[/sblock]

Trouvere

Explorer
[sblock=OOC]With Int 14 and MW tools, a dwarf NPC need not be higher than 1st level to be able to automatically reach DC 20 to make MW items of metal, which is all we know for sure these blacksmiths can do.

They'd of course need to have a caster level of 5 to take the Craft Magic Arms and Armor feat themselves. It seems extremely unlikely that our dwarf blacksmiths are all Wizard 5 or Cleric 6. Perhaps they're all this:
Code:
1 Expert 1  Skill Focus (Profession (Blacksmith))
2 Adept 1
3 Expert 2  Arcane Tap
4 Expert 3
5 Expert 4
6 Expert 5  Craft Magic Arms and Armor
That's probably the standard route to dwarf magic arms-making. It still doesn't seem very likely, though. Maybe they pay a wizard to add magical enhancements. Rilithorne is the usual suspect, and lives close to Drewer.

They could, I suppose, have magic armor already in stock, and just make a few adjustments to fit the customer on the day of sale. Keeping a few magic weapons in stock wouldn't be a problem, I think, if their businesses were rich enough for the initial outlay. It's a town full of adventurers, after all. They'll sell.[/sblock]

Remove ads