• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Swamp Trek III: The Search for Ter-raen

jkason

First Post
[sblock=OOC, don't read if metagaming irritates!]It was a near TPK because in opening the crypt door we got ourselves on the wrong side of a pit, from where the troll skeleton could hit us but we couldn't reach it, after poor initiative rolls so there were wolf skeletons blocking our retreat. Ter-raen lingered too long without beginning to 5'-sidle out of the way, by which time it was too late for him.

As an inveterate metagamer, I've run the numbers on the skeletal troll. Self-buffed with Protection from Evil and inspire courage +1, Gildrim would have a 22% chance of winning toe-to-toe alone. With a Shield of Faith from Weel, that increases to 48.5%. Richard, fully buffed by Gildrim and Weel, 53.8%. I think that working together, on the right side of the pit, using Hide from Undead to let our buffed beatstick get inside its reach initially, and opening with a barrage of holy water, we shouldn't have too much trouble.

Oh yeah, holy water. We still haven't bought it. Let's not forget it.

Rinya would be an interesting addition, considering Gildrim's issues with elves. But Heckler hasn't been online in nearly 6 months. Besides, Gildrim has Track and his Survival skill above ground is as good as Rinya's. He and of course Weel can use heal-sticks... and there is, or was, one left lying in the crypt. Gildrim is a surprisingly good fighter, for a bard - if he and Richard sparred, Richard would win 51.7% of the time. If they came to blows over Gildrim's singing, Gildrim's chance of winning would be a creditable 60.4%.

Of other RDI occupants: Kurhahz is probably out, I think, since P8 is 4e-ing, and a 5th level cleric would overshadow Weel anyway; Nurlan is another Bard/Fighter (and I think 1st and 6th level PCs in the same party might be stretching the range a little); the party would probably do better with Conuld instead of Gildrim, though![/sblock]

[sblock=OOC as above]I'm actually horrible at meta-gaming; math isn't my friend, which is probably obvious in most of my builds (no character I make is nearly at good at things as I expect him to be). That said, Weel's still playing the novice, so he won't take any offence if Gildrim suggests some spell selections and strategic uses before they enter the manor. He is supposed to be acting in an advisory fashion, after all. :p[/sblock]

[sblock=stocking and planning]On the subject of stocking up, then, what's the final total? 15 from each member for the bribe stuff, is that right? Weel has 200gp he can spend on other pre-stock and still have some leftover for emergencies. Should he spend all of that on holy water, or is there anything else we need?

Actually, are 1st level clerical scrolls available in Orussus? If we know we want to make use of Hide from Undead, might be better to fork over the gold for a couple of scrolls and save Weel's few spells for buffing / healing / the unexpected? Four of those cover the party, and still leave Weel able to buy 4 flasks of holy water[/sblock]

Trouvere

Explorer
[sblock=OOC]
On the subject of stocking up, then, what's the final total? 15 from each member for the bribe stuff, is that right? Weel has 200gp he can spend on other pre-stock and still have some leftover for emergencies. Should he spend all of that on holy water, or is there anything else we need?

Actually, are 1st level clerical scrolls available in Orussus? If we know we want to make use of Hide from Undead, might be better to fork over the gold for a couple of scrolls and save Weel's few spells for buffing / healing / the unexpected? Four of those cover the party, and still leave Weel able to buy 4 flasks of holy water
12.5 gp to pay our way with the lizardfolk. I don't think Weel should buy all the holy water himself. Scrolls and potions have been available in the past, certainly from the temples of Halina and Hyrag.

It's a good idea to cover more of the party with HfU, I think. We will need someone to become visible to draw the skeleton across the pit and into the passageway, though, which puts us into combat time. Karl and Richard are the two best as holy water throwers! But if Richard and Gildrim are going to engage it in melee, they should both probably use HfU to get inside its reach, ideally while flanking it, which requires someone head down to the far end of the passage first. Let's not forget there's also an undead wolf, slightly damaged, if I remember right. Someone needs to deal with it. Even a bit of splash damage should do it. Maybe.[/sblock]

Richard Rawen

First Post
Richard looks alarmed when the young cleric tries to figure out how best to spend all of his funds on the group.
"Hold on, there's no need for you to go broke. If you can cast those spells upon us before the battle from scrolls, then hold your gifts for battle healing, I'll gladly cover the cost of the scrolls. Lets figure what each member of the group needs to pay, and I'll help if someone is short."

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
I think we should figure the total cost of every thing and then divide evenly amoungst us. That includes the gifts to the lizard folk, the vials of holy water and the scrolls for the spell to hide us. What say you others?"

Trouvere

Explorer
"Ane for th' wolf, an' mair for th' giant. Ah dinnae think thaes ay us wha'll git naur th' beast unseen wi' bane-knapper an' shield shoud cast watter. If ye've a guid throwin' airm, mebbe ye'll want twa aw three," Gildrim says. "We're nae losin' onybody."

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
"I won't want to lose any one either. so, three vials then weel. How much will that be spread amoungst us?"

Remove ads