Sydney Sweeney to be the new Barbella in upcoming Sony Remake!!!

Mercurius

Legend
Blech...yet another Hollywood remake. They act as if there is nothing new to make, whether books that have never been brought to film, or creators with fresh ideas. It is remake after remake. It smacks of creative bankruptcy.

And I agree that the charm of Barbarella is that it epitomizes a certain time and place. What's next, Saturday Night Fever: 2022?

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Mask! Mask! Vax! Vax! Staying alive, staying alive.

Put some effort into it! :)

Well, you can tell by the way I use my mask
I'm a healthy guy, I've been boosted and vaxxed
Get in a crowd and feelin' warm, you know I'll isolate
'Cuz covid's airborne
And now it's alright, I feel okay
I don't need to use another sick day
We can try to understand
What social distancing does to a man

Whether you're a brother or whether you're a mother
You're stayin' alive, stayin' alive
See people coughin' and everybody washin'
And we're stayin' alive, stayin' alive
Ah, ha, ha, ha, stayin' alive, stayin' alive
Ah, ha, ha, ha, stayin' alive

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I was hoping she would star in a live-action Sealab 2021 movie as Captain Murphy.

How about a SeaQuest DSV remake?

Still I think it's a mistake to under estimate what Syndey is capable of.

So, I have absolutely no idea who this woman is. I'm happy to accept the posit that she's an excellent actress. But... it isn't like Barbarella was Fonda's best acting, you know.

The issue isn't the actress, it is whether writers and directors have any useful vision for the piece. There are actually good movies from the 60s, but Barbarella isn't one of them. It is a big wad of camp trying to be adult and sophisticated, now reduced to being a solid lump of nostalgia. And remaking nostalgia is a fool's errand. So, it isn't clear what interesting or useful stuff can be done with it.

All in my humble opinion, of course.

MarkB

Legend
Yeah, I liked Barbarella well enough, but it's not something I'd ever look at and think "I really wish they'd make a new version!"

I did re-watch Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets recently (actually not as bad on a re-watch) and thought it had a certain Barbarella feel to it - Luc Besson does good over-the-top campiness, especially when it comes to outfits. So, sure, it's doable - just not particularly enthralling.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Yeah, I liked Barbarella well enough, but it's not something I'd ever look at and think "I really wish they'd make a new version!"

I did re-watch Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets recently (actually not as bad on a re-watch) and thought it had a certain Barbarella feel to it - Luc Besson does good over-the-top campiness, especially when it comes to outfits. So, sure, it's doable - just not particularly enthralling.

How about ....

(Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets + Jupiter Ascending) x (Showgirls + House of Gucci) x (Starship Troopers + Zabriskie Point) ... set as a vignette of three films, with the three parts directed by Wes Anderson, P.T. Anderson, and Uwe Boll?

Ryujin

Legend
How about a SeaQuest DSV remake?

So, I have absolutely no idea who this woman is. I'm happy to accept the posit that she's an excellent actress. But... it isn't like Barbarella was Fonda's best acting, you know.

The issue isn't the actress, it is whether writers and directors have any useful vision for the piece. There are actually good movies from the 60s, but Barbarella isn't one of them. It is a big wad of camp trying to be adult and sophisticated, now reduced to being a solid lump of nostalgia. And remaking nostalgia is a fool's errand. So, it isn't clear what interesting or useful stuff can be done with it.

All in my humble opinion, of course.
Personally, I would have stopped at, "It is a big wad of camp." I never felt that there was any pretension to sophistication nor adultness, save the "adult themes" bit, since I first saw it in maybe 1972. (If my parents ever knew that I'd seen it, my butt would have been red for months.)

Ryujin

Legend
I doubt they'd go all dark a gritty, it'd betray the basic plotline. I think they will go comedic, action packed, and erotic, but with way better special effects. Maybe trippy in parts as well.

Honestly this has to be Sydney's idea, I just can't see a Sony Executive suggesting doing a remake of Barbarella, especially given it was a comerical flop when released. My bet is Sydney is a fan of Barbarella, she a growing power in Hollywood, and what Sydney wants, Sydney finds away to get.
Never doubt that a studio might do something with a property, that seems ridiculous. After all, they made a dark & gritty remake of "Kolchak: The Night Stalker."

Remove ads