T1: A Visit to Spelding Square [Completed]

Trouvere

Explorer
"So swamp slime creatures, they go invisible, and make minds be twisted too? Maybe sky star bring creatures?"
Rilithorne holds a finger beside his temple in an attitude of thought.

"Something strange crawls into Spelding Square - which certainly is not as alluring a place as some would have us believe - on the very night that a star crosses the sky. It is not a comfortable thought that it came from beyond, from Outside."

Rollfar Lightpurse indeed looks less than comfortable.

"Is there more to tell?"

Boddynock

First Post
Peladus looks thoughtful.

"We were very nearly washed out to sea by some sort of tidal wave just after the star passed over. Perhaps it fell into the sea, and this creature emerged from it."

"We certainly saw many tracks on the wharf by the warehouse back there - it could well have come out of the water."

"I believe it may have been an outsider. My Color Spray spell did not affect it at all, although I caught it fairly in the cone of effect, and some of my spells seemed almost to ... hesitate before taking effect, something which to my mind would argue a resistance to magic."

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
Pendrake nods at the information about the surging sea agfter the falling star. "Ja, the heavens lost one of their own Valkerie tonight, and das seas surge in veepink uphiefals. could be first of giants pets from Rognorack. Das tracks by docks show its meanderinks."

Trouvere

Explorer
Rilithorne smiles ruefully at the mention of spell resistance. "I do not doubt it. Once you have experienced the failure or near failure of a spell, you never forget it. It reminds me of the dropping sensation in the stomach at the moment of an unexpected fall, though perhaps each wizard feels it differently."

With no transition, the blurring that hides the form of the creature ends. "Its magical abilities are not without limit, then. Ah, Pendrake Utherman, we, ah... must talk more of your... pardon me... tribal beliefs, at a later date," he adds.

"Where one new star fell, another might follow... or if but one creature was washed onto our shores, more may yet remain in the Great Sea." He gazes up at the clear sky, where hundreds of cold points of light stare back, though each is in its accustomed position. "Some forbidden spawn of black chaos and illimitable night?" he muses. "Forgive me, forgive me, I grow poetic in my old age." Gillin, with decades on the wizard, snorts quietly at that.

"Yes, I am increasingly convinced your actions here tonight prevented a catastrophe, and did great service for Orussus and its people. Come now, the night is wearing on. I shall write two notes, one to the city authorities to be carried by our guardsmen friends, and one for you to carry to my apprentice. While I do that, would you gather up the remains and place them together nearby?"

Anxious to be of some help, the guardsmen move off to collect the creature that lies to the west. They find as Pendrake did that the flowing body is nigh impossible to lift, so they settle on rolling it across the cobbles.

"Are there any more?" one asks, inspecting his gauntlets ruefully.

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
"Ja, over zies way." he moves to where another one was killed and starts rolling it as he say the guardsmen doing. (Not sure where they aall re. need to check on my nephew right now.)

Trouvere

Explorer
OOG: I took that to mean you were babysitting or something, but I just came across your thread in TtT. That's really awful. I'm so sorry, Scott.

Trouvere

Explorer
With two lantern-lit trips into the north of the Square and the yard behind it, Pendrake and the guards recover the remaining two dead creatures. Pendrake finds they are improbably light for their size.

Rilithorne has pulled parchment and inkpen and a small folding table from his backpack and begun writing. He pauses to exclaim, "But these two are not the same as the others! They have but two tentacles apiece. And yet they were cut from the same original, or the other way around?" He concludes his missives, and quickly summarises them for the benefit of the onlookers.

"To Watch Captain Frandeth, City Guard, and Secretary Corolio, Office of the Mayor... and so forth. Wish to inform... great service to the city... averted an imminent danger... many ongoing deaths likely prevented. I provide a brief description of the creatures here. One corpse remains in Spelding Square for inspection... suggest payment of reward from city funds... and so on. Sincerely, Magister Rilithorne. I do rather like the sound of that." His eyes twinkle.

"And secondly, to Jon Kilran, my apprentice. Have gone to consult with Thyrin of Grenton... expect to return inside one week... on no account to be contacted or disturbed... matter of urgency that admits of no delay... full confidence in your and Arngrim's abilities to cope without me - " he pauses. "I wonder if I should strike that sentence out? Oh well, no matter. The bearers of this letter... great service... and so on as before... ought to be rewarded for their bravery... and so on. Yours in haste.... There."

Rilithorne withdraws a slim ivory wand from his pack, and taps each piece of parchment with it with a crisply spoken command word. An intricate runic 'R' with complicated embellishments appears, an arcane mark, his unique personal seal.

He passes the first letter to a guard. "Guardsmen, you will of course be giving a full report to the Captain. Do try to impress upon him the unusual nature of our unwholesome visitors to Spelding Square. Off you go."

"Sir!" they exclaim, and hurry off.

The second he hands to Peladus. "Please take this to my apprentice at my tower tonight, all of you. He is waiting up and will worry excessively when I do not return. For we do not know how long these creatures' remains will last, and I will travel to Grenton immediately."

The wizard packs up his table, settles his pack over his shoulder, and with a grimace pulls tentacles of three of the corpses into contact with one another and takes a firm grasp of the bundle. "Good night, lady and gentlemen," he says, and follows this up with a brief arcane utterance. In an instant, he and three creatures vanish, and a swirl of air fills the space where they were. The party are left alone with Gillin, Rollfar, one dead creature, and a letter for Rilithorne's apprentice.

Remove ads