• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tale of the Clueless - Chapter 1: On the Seas of Air [IC Thread]

Ambrus

Explorer
[sblock=Nalfeshnee]Vorastrix banks upwards towards the crow's nest to address the tattooed elven maid, offering her one of his long saurian smiles. "Ahoy there. I just wanted to make certain you'd taken note of the magma pockets ahead."[/sblock]

Nalfeshnee

Explorer
[sblock=Vor]The womas looks at you with a puzzled face. she goes to reply, but though her mouth makes the motions of speech no sound comes out. she puts the telescope to her eye and scans the horizon. Twice. She shakes her head and turns back to you.'If magma pocket is some form of slang for a ship riding up our rudder, youre right. Otheriwse I dont know what youre talking about'[/sblock]

Ambrus

Explorer
[sblock=Nalfeshnee]Vor frowns in confusion which, because of his saw-toothed brows, makes the small silver-white dragon appear to be glaring, a mistake many non-saurians had made in the past. In contrast to his seeming anger, Vor speaks hesitantly and with a note of embarrassment in his voice. "I... I don't know what to say. I'm simply repeating what our lookout said." Thinking back, it was somewhat odd that he himself couldn't recall anything about these particular magma pockets... that was unless there weren't any in the area. Changing tactics, the little sorcerer ponders the matter for a moment, touching upon his wellspring of knowledge.

OOC: Vor is trying to make a Knowledge (local) check to try and recall if there are any magma pockets in this area of the plane, or any other notable features for that matter (Knowledge (local) +8, taking 10).

BTW, I was considering switching Vor's draconic ancestral association from radiant dragons to emerald dragons because it would give Vor a +2 bonus to Knowledge (local) checks. In your opinion would that stack with all such skill checks?
[/sblock]

Nalfeshnee

Explorer
[sblock=Vor]This should be a knowledge planes check, rather knowledge local with would involve items dealing with civilisation and habitation in a particualr area. Though ill use a knowledge local check for this one.

While elemental pockets, including magma pockets may appear in any area of the plane without warning, few are permanent locations. The features and defining locations of the plane are themselves elemental pockets (floating rocks, like the one you saw before are pockets of earth), and it is impossible to say if there should or should not be any magma pockets here. From a planar perspective, it would be as surprising to see a magma pocket as it would be not to, in any area of the Plane of Air

OOC: it would stack, yes; though only Know (local).

The elf looks at you, a peery gaze on her face. 'Like i said, nothing but a ship sailing up our rudder. And sailing fast too.'
[/sblock]

Ambrus

Explorer
[sblock=Nalfeshnee]Vor turns his head to peer aftward (Spot +9). "Any clue who they are?"

OOC: I see what you mean about the knowledge local check, but I figured that this area might in fact have its own civilisation and habitation, or at least what passes for it in the plane of air. I mean the local air elementals and invisible stalkers might have a thriving social scene for all I know, with areas they like to congregate in and others they prefer to avoid for their own reasons. Just because they don't build anything we'd recognize as cities or settlements doesn't mean they don't have an established local society. Even if this area is sparsely populated, well that's just part of the place's demographic right? There might be a good reason why the plane's natives don't like the area. :) [/sblock]

Dichotomy

Explorer
With all of the excitement, the workout of flying around for so long, and the drink, Idim had managed to wear herself out so much that she was practically sleeping in Derrick's room. As everyone else gets up to leave, the Shaaryan girl politely excuses herself and heads straight to her sleeping place. If she passes anyone else, she softly says, "Please wake me if there is any need."

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
Drota climbs slowly upstairs again, breathing in the fine, clean air and enjoying the sunshine (even though it was supposed to be night by her reckoning). I never thought I would like a place like this... So very bright up here... But it's strangely pleasent, though I don't know why. It was oddly comforting to hear someone speak of the strangeness of this place and others so casually. If he can handle it, certainly I can, can't I?

Drota takes a look over at Mir as she talks about taking watch. "I can stand watch. My grandfather makes a stronger brew than this... it's a lot rougher too... and tastes worse... but I'm steady to watch," she offers.

Thrumgall scans the horizon in front of the ship. Terrathoin, can you see the mangma pockets anywhere? The magma I've seen has been very bright, I'd think we could see it by now."

Nalfeshnee: I'm looking for the magma pockets (spot +8)

Gli'jar

First Post
Terrathoin smiles when Mir belches, "Right proper, no need to suppress it. Let the enjoyment out. We are fine lass, takes a few more to put us down."

He turns and looks out trying to see the magma, "Vor said we would be coming up on them. I think they will look like big red masses against the blue background. Although I could be wrong, since I never seen flying magma."

OOC Looking for magma 'islands', spot+0

Nalfeshnee

Explorer
[sblock=Spot checks]Thrumgall Spot (21)

Terrathoin Spot (12)

Vorastrix Spot (19) [/sblock]

Thrumgall, scanning the horizon for floating blobs of magma, fails to see any though, as his gaze turns to the aft of the ship, he does see a faint dot in the distance behind and below them. It has the distinct shape of a ship, thoughnot even the bright light and clear air of the Plane can reveal any more details yet.

Drahluut returns to the deck with some more crew.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads