• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Black Flag Tales of the Valiant is out (in PDF)! What do people think?

mamba

Legend
The more I think about it, the more frustrated and disappointed I am that Kobold chose not to release this game fully under ORC, especially after all the talk of making it to ensure 5E is perpetually available no matter what WotC does.
all they have to do for that is keep selling ToV... Heck, even just what is in the SRD means D&D lives on, you do not need to have every monster, subclass, etc. for that to be the case

I see no reason to demand more from the Kobolds than from WotC

I feel like Kobold has gone back on promises and abandoned its stated goal by putting out a worse-than-WotC SRD and not releasing the full game under ORC.
how is it worse?

I'm just one potential consumer, but I won't be supporting ToV or Kobold based on this.
if you insist on a full SRD, is there anything besides A5e that you can support?

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
all they have to do for that is keep selling ToV... Heck, even just what is in the SRD means D&D lives on, you do not need to have every monster, subclass, etc. for that to be the case

I see no reason to demand more from the Kobolds than from WotC

how is it worse?

if you insist on a full SRD, is there anything besides A5e that you can support?
Well, A5e is pretty sweet.

In all seriousness though, different companies have to I think be allowed to make business decisions based on their own situation and their goals (and sometimes their conscience), and consumers ought to do the same. Ultimately both sides set their own limits.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
I just want to clarify this point: if a game was not designed based upon Open Content from another upstream company, I don't care what it does. I am talking mostly about publishers who have taken advantage of D&D's Open License and refuse to give back to Open Gaming. It is nice when other companies like Modiphius and Free League put out SRDs for their house systems so designers can play with those too, but it isn't something I demand. I do think that people that do use those other SRDs should release their mechanical designs as Open Content though. I think Open Gaming is important, especially for those companies that rode the D&D wave.

In the end, though, it isn't especially important. And I am not trying to convince anyone of anything. It is just how I feel, and I wanted to express it directly in the context of the ToV release. But I also don't want to completely derail the thread, so I leave it be going forward.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
I just want to clarify this point: if a game was not designed based upon Open Content from another upstream company, I don't care what it does. I am talking mostly about publishers who have taken advantage of D&D's Open License and refuse to give back to Open Gaming. It is nice when other companies like Modiphius and Free League put out SRDs for their house systems so designers can play with those too, but it isn't something I demand. I do think that people that do use those other SRDs should release their mechanical designs as Open Content though. I think Open Gaming is important, especially for those companies that rode the D&D wave.

In the end, though, it isn't especially important. And I am not trying to convince anyone of anything. It is just how I feel, and I wanted to express it directly in the context of the ToV release. But I also don't want to completely derail the thread, so I leave it be going forward.
You're continuing the Newspeak of declaring only Viral Gaming as Open Gaming.
There's absolutely nothing 'closed' about using the CC or an SRD. These are in fact quite open to anyone to use.

This isn't merely semantic, as you are using the emotional pull of "Open" to demand things that go beyond being open.

Regarding your issues with Legendary Resistance and the Hardy trait, how would you prefer to handle the issue of PCs knocking out big monsters before they have a chance to do their cool stuff (either by condition lock-down or massive damage)?
I was thinking about this. I don't want to flat out negate crits for lots of "hardy" high level monsters.

What if "Hardy" worked more like "Uncanny Dodge"? The monster just uses a Legendary Resistance to take half damage from an attack or to succeed on a Saving Throw (which might also be half damage). The player still gets to roll all their dice for damage, but the monster resists some of it, no matter what. Like a super Damage Resistance that cannot be bypassed.

Marc Radle

Legend
Tales of the Valiant books currently the number 2 and 4 Bestselling Titles on DriveThruRPG!
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/en/

DriveThru.png

mamba

Legend
I just want to clarify this point: if a game was not designed based upon Open Content from another upstream company, I don't care what it does. I am talking mostly about publishers who have taken advantage of D&D's Open License and refuse to give back to Open Gaming.
they are giving back though, just not everything.

Good on the distinction between having a product based on an open license vs something that is not, no problem there

Don’t forget that these SRDs are not altruistic, they allow others to create content for ‘your’ game, which your game and you as its publisher benefit from. That is why WotC released the OGL in the first place

Finally, you did not address my question in which way the BF SRD is worse than the 5e one, still curious about that ;)

Remove ads